Preview Changes & Pre-match Discussion - Round 10 vs. SYDNEY - Gabba, Thur 06/08 @ 5:40pm AEST

Remove this Banner Ad

Having said that, Buckley’s game plan didn’t make Daicos raise the white flag with forwards spreading up ahead. Buckley’s game plan didn’t make JT drop a chest mark unopposed at the top of the goalsquare. It didn’t make Grundy tackle a player’s face, or Quaynor go up one-handed instead of killing the contest.

No it just prevented us from having any forward options when going forward, and left Freo to score easily when they went long from D50.....

l want the club to seriously look at Voss or Clarkson. I'm a fan of Bucks in his career, but his mindset will not win this club a flag. He has had a great opportunity, and he has made a GF, but right now unless he totally changes his mindset, this club is set for mediocrity.
Voss may be no different than Bucks. Champion player, struggling coach.

Last edited:
Having said that, Buckley’s game plan didn’t make Daicos raise the white flag with forwards spreading up ahead. Buckley’s game plan didn’t make JT drop a chest mark unopposed at the top of the goalsquare. It didn’t make Grundy tackle a player’s face, or Quaynor go up one-handed instead of killing the contest.
Thank you TRS for reminding me of all those things.
As if it wasn't bad enough the first time around.

Cameron offered more than Cox would’ve today. His ruck work is better, he’s more mobile and he has better hands. Cameron was not awful but he could’ve been better. Much like most of his teammates.

But we need to see if he has any fight in him to hold his position in the side. If he gives us zero, then a red line through him for the rest of the year and papers stamped at season's end. Don't hold onto deadwood.

No! Dude! That’s the best thing about our game when it’s working. When we are slick with hands and feet, we’re playing v high quality. When we over use by hand or don’t go direct soon enough tee struggle.
Let’s not forget this game style/ players got us to a GF and a PF the last 2 years.
It works when you handball to a player on the move, creating separation. Passing it to a player standing flat footed 1 metre away from you who has three oppo players surrounding him is not a winning formula.

That's then, this is now. We have a current horrible game plan, that makes us unable to score and horrible to be a forward in our side. Why take our best defender out, to put forward in a position where he will be finding himself up the ground anyway, playing this defensive game plan. He would be wasted and struggling up forward.

100% agreed, Moore forward is NOT the answer. We saw how rubbish Roughead was when the forwards continuously moved around, Shaz isn’t upto it and now he’s suggesting to play Dunn or someone to cover Moore, even Madgen to play his role? Ridiculous. We’ve lost Howe already, if we remove Moore we are taking the only strength our team has to make up for our weaknesses in other areas. We go from being an elite defence to now having two SLOW KPD’s littered with good mid sized defenders, god help me if Jezza Cameron got to run around on those slow dinosaurs. Shoving players up opposite ends of the field is just not the answer. Look at Naughton. Drafted as a KPD and has to play forward bc the Dogs suck and he’s had one good game in 12 months. Tom McDonald. Same thing, gun defender but can’t play as the make shift forward. Just a waste of a generational defensive talent if we decided to chuck Moore forward.

I’d like to get a look at Appleby for Thomas and perhaps Tyler back in for Phillips - who has lost all confidence. Sier started ok and faded but at least looks like creating something.
We are paying the price big time for ignoring forward size and skill for draft upon draft.

We're just replacing spuds for spuds, we have zero depth.

Tyler Brown was terrible at AFL level, Applyby was worse than terrible.

Our list is in terrible shape

Mate, we seriously would struggle to beat Adelaide. You watching the same games as me, we cant f'ing score. You wont beat any team if you can't score.
Our game plan is built about preventing the opposition from scoring, and that's it. We have no offensive game at all. Plus the game style Bucks and his doubles partner Sanderson have developed, is about winning the ball in congestion and scoring of that, , and then all getting back to the D50 when we don't have the footy. This is a tiring, draining game style on the players.
Right now if we played Port Melbourne we would lose. The Sydney game is a must win, but right now it is a toss of the coin, because our game style evens up the competition.
Other sides that have a offensive attacking game style, smash teams below them, we don't have that. So to me Bucks is right now implemented a game style to prolong his coaching career, but right now it is unravelling.
We’re a lightweight St Kilda 2009/10

What does Murphy have to do to get a game? He looked good in his early games before injury but can’t crack it for a return. He’s miles better than Keane and I’d happily play him ahead of Madgen and Shaz.

OUT Keane JT Phillips Mayne
IN Murphy Roughead Appleby Broomhead

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What does Murphy have to do to get a game? He looked good in his early games before injury but can’t crack it for a return. He’s miles better than Keane and I’d happily play him ahead of Madgen and Shaz.

Absolutely agree with this. Play Murphy and SWING HIM FORWARD!!! He played as a forward at Brighton Grammar (kicked 7 once against Geelong Grammar) and for Sandy Dragons as a Junior, has an elite 2km trial time and is a perfect height (190cm) !!! WORTH THE TRIAL BUCKS !!! We can’t keep drafting all this big guys and then turn them all into *ing defenders, we have depth coming out our rear end down there and Reid/Cox are are KPF depth.

His name isn't Thomas or WHE....Bucks continually picks these blokes hoping a switch flicks and their 2018 form magically appears. I don't think Bucks realises that was 2 years ago, and right now these guys are VFL standard.

Last edited:
Absolutely agree with this. Play Murphy and SWING HIM FORWARD!!! He played as a forward at Brighton Grammar (kicked 7 once against Geelong Grammar) and for Sandy Dragons as a Junior, has an elite 2km trial time and is a perfect height (190cm) !!! WORTH THE TRIAL BUCKS !!! We can’t keep drafting all this big guys and then turn them all into f*n defenders, we have depth coming out our rear end down there and Reid/Cox are are KPF depth.

Agree try anything....we have just lost to a team 15th on the ladder!!!

No! Dude! That’s the best thing about our game when it’s working. When we are slick with hands and feet, we’re playing v high quality. When we over use by hand or don’t go direct soon enough tee struggle.
Let’s not forget this game style/ players got us to a GF and a PF the last 2 years.

No. It’s not just the execution, I feel as though the game style/plan has changed thoroughly since 2018z

Any chance we can play Cameron and Cox?

Varcoe at their feet. Cameron plays higher where he seems to thrive and Cox deeper so we have a target to kick to.

Just wish Buckley would try something different. Our forward line is as bland as lemon & herb at nandos.

We may have over- achieved in the last 3 years which has cost list depth at the draft table. Mind you 3-4 first round picks for Treloar and Beams has been a pricey gamble.

Let’s make some changes. We are in a slump and short breaks dictate some rotations anyhow.
OUT: Thomas, Phillips, Keane, Varcoe,
In: Appleby, T Brown, Roughead, Reid,

Out: Mayne
In: Roughead

Move Moore up forward, Roughead down back and Daicos and WHE can take Mayne’s wing time.

hate to say it but it’s true.

we are in rebuild territory and need to start it now, this offseason with high picks and clean out. no point flogging a dead horse, this list does not have the talent to win a flag.
You are only as good as your bottom 22 and out bottom 10 players are VFL standard. Not to mention we have a vfl ruckmen as a KPF

Remove this Banner Ad

Back