Is Buckley A Good Coach?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The senior coach is an important club figure and a legitimate topic of discussion. It's fair to do so and everyone has a right to express their view.

The mod team observed that the thread was dominated by a few protagonists and their points were repeated i.e. 8 years of regression vs marked improvement in 17,18 etc Pretty much everyone with a strong opinion has already expressed it here.

What further degraded discussion was the simplistic "sack FIGJAM" or "he's a legend" type posts.

This thread will remain open. If your view has slightly shifted or you have new thoughts please share. In an effort to encourage quality discussion repetitive statements and circular arguments will from now on be deleted as will silly posts suggesting that we sack a coach on match-day.

FYI Gone Critical Anzacday Maggie5

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
Can't believe how bad we've been last 2 games, what with being on the road the whole season and coming up against a couple of teams living in near normal circumstances in their own homes etc.
100% on Buckley.
Everything.
Even the hotel quarantine fiasco in Melbourne.

(McGuire can move along though, in all seriousness)

Linda_Lovelace

Cancelled
Jul 28, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Collingwood
If you seriously believe Buckley doesn’t have the intellect of the other Coaches then your depth of hate for him surpasses your ability to have an objective view. Even the most staunchest “haters” have never made this claim.
And this is clearly opportunism based on the recent transgression, because his IQ has never been a problem for YOU before.
So your arguments are clearly transparent- to bag his intellect because bagging his coaching doesn’t work given the teams clear improvement in the last 2 years.

At least be honest and admit you don’t like him, rather than use vacuous and baseless claims in an attempt to build a case against him.

He is dumb. Last week West Coast broke our defensive zone, every side saw it happen and took notes. So he needed to change it up, did not and Freo did the same with fast break play out of our forward 50. Yes we had injuries but Freo are worse off. Add in the stupidity of the tennis * up and I really don't rate his intellect. These are just two recent examples, won't bore you and btw I hardly post these days.

He is dumb. Last week West Coast broke our defensive zone, every side saw it happen and took notes. So he needed to change it up, did not and Freo did the same with fast break play out of our forward 50. Yes we had injuries but Freo are worse off. Add in the stupidity of the tennis fu** up and I really don't rate his intellect. These are just two recent examples, won't bore you and btw I hardly post these days.
Yep. Insanity is doing the same thing twice and expecting different results.

Hes been doing it for 9 years bar one and still expecting something different.

daicosdemis

All Australian
Jul 5, 2011
Ascot Vale
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
AEK,Chelsea fc
Watching the side this year I got that hollow feeling in the pit of my gut that this group has gone as far as it will go. Our inability to put sides away and to remain on top over 4 quarters, the gaps in our list, the stupidity of the players, and the rotten luck with injuries. It might be time for a new start.

I like Nathan Buckley the player, coach, and person so on that we are on opposite sides of this debate. I see him as a smart man that could be classified as too rigid in his decisions (Dan Andrews is similar in a sense).

We both want the club to win more fn flags.
You can't be both smart and rigid, that's a huge contradiction. A lack of flexibility is a lack of smarts.

magpies2013

All Australian
Jan 1, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
This is our last year of a chance of a premiership. Ageing list with 9 blokes over 30 and not the young talent coming through like other clubs

This is our last year of a chance of a premiership. Ageing list with 9 blokes over 30 and not the young talent coming through like other clubs
Most of the 9 over 30 are depth or easily replaced fringe players. Our list is statistically older than many because we keep blokes in their 30s as depth, whereas other teams opt for much younger depth.

He is dumb. Last week West Coast broke our defensive zone, every side saw it happen and took notes. So he needed to change it up, did not and Freo did the same with fast break play out of our forward 50.
That's been how we have lost every game we've lost for the past 7 years.

magpies2013

All Australian
Jan 1, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Most of the 9 over 30 are depth or easily replaced fringe players. Our list is statistically older than many because we keep blokes in their 30s as depth, whereas other teams opt for much younger depth.
I wouldn’t call Pendles Sidebottom Howe depth players

Seedsfan

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 10, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Time to move him on.

Why play a game plan that we don’t have the cattle for. Our weapons are our small/medium forwards and their speed so we have to move the ball quickly so that they are dangerous. Yet we are always so slow and conservative, why? We don’t have the talks forward of the ball to play that way

Linda_Lovelace

Cancelled
Jul 28, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Collingwood

The list is actually pretty good IMO. Lack of tall key forward the major issue. Goo is our biggest out, he is our Dustin Martin (not fully developed yet) and scares the hell out of opposition teams and lets others in the f50 off the leash. Take Martin out of Richmond and they fall away. Hopefully Langdon can take over from Howe who is the other massive loss.

Rest comes down to player development and game plan. I think Bucks may be being exposed as the massive reduction in the footy dept salary cap has left him with less support.

Linda_Lovelace

Cancelled
Jul 28, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Collingwood
Time to move him on.

Why play a game plan that we don’t have the cattle for. Our weapons are our small/medium forwards and their speed so we have to move the ball quickly so that they are dangerous. Yet we are always so slow and conservative, why? We don’t have the talks forward of the ball to play that way

Yeah end of the third was the only time we just went full speed and we started to dominate. Was 18 like, just don't get this slow ball movement with manic handball at stoppages.

Aug 3, 2020
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Boston Celtics, Liverpool
Garbage. Complete and utter. Glad to see lots of fans getting around to this point of view too.

He's been like this for far far too long, even when we've been winning. He's one of the single worst coaches at in-game adjustments I've ever witnessed. Week after week we come in with a seemingly pretty solid grasp of what the opposition does, then they adjust to how we're stifling their gameplan, and the game is over just like that. This has been going on for years now. We even do it in Grand Finals! It pains me to see us waste glorious Collingwood servants like Pendlebury and Sidey with this muppet at the helm. Initially he took over a GF making side and tanked them completely, and now he's doing it again. Get ready for a few years of being worse than the year before, just like Bucks started.

However, he speaks eloquently, is Eddie's lover, and has good relations with the media. So we're stuck with him. I also fear that Eddie realises if Bucks' goes without winning a flag, despite a decade at the helm of the biggest team in the country, his head will be on the block. It's become completely exhausting cheering this team on. Time to waste away another good young list. Buckley couldn't win as a player, and can't do it as a coach

Doc1763

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 29, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
Half way through Malthouse's 9th season, he was advised he would be finishing up at the end of 2011, regardless of results. Regardless of what you thought of MM, this was a coach who took us from wooden spooners to 2 consecutive Grand Finals in 4 years, and another Prelin 4 years later that we lost by less than a kick. He was told at that time that he would be replace by someone, who at that time, had not spent 1 match inside a coaches box in any capacity. He then went on to win a Premiership and make another Grand Final. Anyone with any common sense would have adjusted the "agreement" half way through 2011.

This is Buckley's 9th season. He took a Grand Final side and destroyed it. The next few years were as bad as I've witnessed since 1970. It is now obvious that 2018 was an outlier, and we have regressed to virtually unwatchable football, even when we win.

So, if someone with MM's achievements was told half way through his 9th season that he was on the way out, when does Buckey get told? I think we all know the answer.

There is no light at the end of this tunnel.

You can't be both smart and rigid, that's a huge contradiction. A lack of flexibility is a lack of smarts.

This is beside the point but I have worked with some very high IQ people that could be described as anything but adaptive or flexible. This shouldn't be a side argument about what actually constitutes "smart" and your point that a person with footy smarts is more adaptive is correct.

Last edited:
Oct 6, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
collingwood
He'll be feeling the heat if we don't win our next 2. That's perhaps unfair given everything that is going on, but we were in a good position this year to really challenge and we've dropped the ball.

Really would have liked him to throw caution to the wind yesterday and move Moore forward. Unfortunately, poor selection tied his hands because he couldn't leave Magden and Keane back on their own. Ben Reid would have helped i reckon.

There is a clear lack of direction going forward, and it has been like that pretty much every game this year. Even the games we have won comfortably have had real flat spots where we just don't score. We are based on a rock solid defence, but with Howe and Roughead out, our defence looks seriously undermanned now. Moore can't play both lock down defender and rebounder as well.

I think a good starting point for Buckley would be to take 5 minutes and draft our best 22 from what is available. I think he is caught up a bit at the moment by the depth playing well in scratch matches and trying to give everyone a game.

is Ben Reid a better forward than Darcy Cameron?
Is Roughead or Dunn a better defender than keane or Magden?
Is Sier a better midfielder than Wills?
Also, there were surely better options than Atu.

It's time to pick our best players.

Aussie pie

Club Legend
Jul 29, 2017
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
76ers
I’ve noticed that the club has not put up the Buckley post match press conference, very interesting 🤔

No SPIN

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 14, 2009
Vic
AFL Club
Collingwood

Correct - and to add to this we had 9 players with less than 50 games and Freo the YOUNG side - had 10

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back