Autopsy Freo 61 - 49 Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

I completely agree with how he is graded. He was the most influential player yesterday by a fair margin. Strong and dominant at time in the middle and the end of the game he wins two clearances to push us up the ground. Then pushes forward - kicks a goal and takes their best defender meaning tabs plays on the second defender. That’s bloody influential.

My comments come from a load management POV. I don’t want to see him injured on a five day turnaround.

This. Fyfe is such an ominous presence up forward he attracts their best defender in Darcy Moore and left their first gamer in Keane on Tabs. Rotating Fyfe between forward and mid creates so many mismatches and it's great to see JL exploit that. I think a lot of us take Fyfe for granted on here.

What has gone wrong for Matera this year? I mean he kicked 30 goals last year.

He kicked 24 of them in the first 14 rounds when we were going well, 6 & 5 (in the games he played), kicking a lot of them as the last back in the chain.

Then we started getting injuries and started losing games, kicking six goals in the last nine games.

I'd assume at that point he had to start working his way up the ground to win his own ball, which isn't his strength.

He's a great finisher, but offers next to nothing in general play or on the defensive side.

fu** me dude, Blakely's disposal generally isnt that bad. By hand is totally fine and probably above average and by foot hes pretty bad but he often has the right idea. I cant be anything but optimistic about Blakely's performance. Your all a bunch of Karens when it comes to Blakely's disposal.

lol, I don't mind if Blakely becomes Freo's Clayton Oliver but he's got to improve his kicking, overall I was stoked with his performance.

Some thoughts:

Serong - WOW
Wilson - Best game in 2 seasons
Frederick - Has a lot to learn about the game. Quick though!
Blakely - Horrible kick
Shulz - Very lucky to have even played yesterday. Has done nothing since Saints game. Performance yesterday probably keeps him in though.
Matera/Colyer - one needs to go, probably the former.
Taberner: Gotta love him. Imagine if he halved the amount brain farts he does each game - that centering kick in the last was one.
Freo defenders: Won Freo the game yesterday. Not all first 22 or blessed with huge amounts of skill but JLO has them working together beautifully, just goes to show.
Cerra: Ever so slowly coming along nicely.
JLO: Hats off. New coach trying to implement a game plan with limited and players as well as restricted training regulations.

next game:

IN: Hogan, Walters, Aish. Would like to squeeze Hill, Sturt but not sure who for, maybe Shulz?
OUT: Matera, Frederick, Duman (maybe unlucky but only room for a stick-thin back flanker and Watson has surpassed him)

I don't know, he wasn't moving that great yesterday and still managed to dominate at times. Made some uncharacteristic errors but the whole team does seem to stand taller when he's out there with them. We so use a different grading scale when judging his games. Poor game for Fyfe means he wasn't BOG. If he's fit enough to play I can't see him agreeing to sit a game out.

Our next batch of games are all winnable. We are playing teams around us on the ladder. And the midfields we will play against might not be the strongest so parking Fyfe in the forward line with mid cameos when we need a lift should work pretty well. Similarly with Walters.

Yep your on the same page.

Fyfe plays - best back / tagger goes to him. Result is Tab / Serong dominate.

Fyfe doesn't play - best back / tagger goes to Tabs / Serong, and they don't dominate.

fu** me dude, Blakely's disposal generally isnt that bad. By hand is totally fine and probably above average and by foot hes pretty bad but he often has the right idea. I cant be anything but optimistic about Blakely's performance. Your all a bunch of Karens when it comes to Blakely's disposal.
Sexist! They’re all Gavins!! Maybe just a couple of Karens. 😉

Brayshaw plays a game like that and you want him banished forever...
Brayshaw’s overall DE has improved from 63% last year to 78% this year. It’s a furphy that he can’t kick, left over from the past couple of years. He just has the yips which should hopefully be something he can iron out over the rest of the season. JLo just needs to get him to back himself, instead of going the RTB thing of always looking inside rather than being ‘selfish’, and just go for it himself.
I really like Connor in the team - big body that not only wins the ball, but does some good inside blocking work, but he had game high 7 clangers and went at 50% efficiency. This should (hopefully) improve over the next few weeks while he catches up to AFL pace again.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Some thoughts:

Serong - WOW
Wilson - Best game in 2 seasons
Frederick - Has a lot to learn about the game. Quick though!
Blakely - Horrible kick
Shulz - Very lucky to have even played yesterday. Has done nothing since Saints game. Performance yesterday probably keeps him in though.
Matera/Colyer - one needs to go, probably the former.
Taberner: Gotta love him. Imagine if he halved the amount brain farts he does each game - that centering kick in the last was one.
Freo defenders: Won Freo the game yesterday. Not all first 22 or blessed with huge amounts of skill but JLO has them working together beautifully, just goes to show.
Cerra: Ever so slowly coming along nicely.
JLO: Hats off. New coach trying to implement a game plan with limited and players as well as restricted training regulations.

next game:

IN: Hogan, Walters, Aish. Would like to squeeze Hill, Sturt but not sure who for, maybe Shulz?
OUT: Matera, Frederick, Duman (maybe unlucky but only room for a stick-thin back flanker and Watson has surpassed him)
I like Duman but you’re right Watson’s composure has him ahead. Duman has some nice tricks and does some neat things but at times looks a little chaotic when under pressure. This was very evident in his earlier games this season. I remember one incident in either the Brisbane or GCS game where he evaded a would-be tackler with a beauty of a side-step another bloke came at him from the side - instead of trying to focus on executing a normal drop punt (and he had done the hard work to create space) he went kamikaze style and sent a helicopter kick to the opposition. Whereas Watson seems to portray calmness. Even the dinky kick that just went out of bounds on the full was actually evidence of composure just an execution error. He looked up and saw only Grundy out on the wing and rather than smash the ball straight to him made a late decision to execute a difficult 15 metre pass to one of our players near the boundary - he even had a look inside where the were no options available. I liked it. Didn’t come off but demonstrates he is thinking and looking for the best option.

Looking at crowdens goal again it was top class composure from him. He reminded me of McDonald tipungwuti the way he rode the tackle and slotted the goal. Ahead of Banfield and Colyer and probably schultz for me too after that. Hope he gets a run at if for a few games.

Schultz's handball under severe pressure to get it to Crowden isn't getting the credit it deserves either.

10 Luke Ryan (FRE)
8 David Mundy (FRE)
6 Caleb Serong (FRE)
3 Brayden Maynard (COLL)
2 Matt Taberner (FRE)
1 Steele Sidebottom (COLL)

unsurprisingly Ryan with the 10. Figured Fyfe would get a vote.
If it was top 5 Freo players he probably would have, but like others have said - if he’s not better than Thor, then he’s had an ‘average game’. I think they got our top 4 players right, and Maynard and Sidebottom had very good games too.

lol, I don't mind if Blakely becomes Freo's Clayton Oliver but he's got to improve his kicking, overall I was stoked with his performance.
Really didn’t notice. He was brilliant inside and resulted in clearances at times. Since when an inside midfielder kicking is such a concern.
Still waiting on Dangerfield to upgrade his kicking to elite...
Blakely is fine. He was needed ahead of Tucker.

Positives
- Matt Taberner come on down mate, was an absolute masterclass from him yesterday, that's what you wanna see from your key forward. Always backed the big man in and I always will.
- Mitch Crowden has learnt his spot in the team now for my liking, was sublime on the forward flank and he just always shows great intensity with everything he does
- Caleb Serong
- Ryan has to be considered for AA this year if he continues with this great form, he's leading our backline so well.
- Watson was good in his second game, he's calm under pressure and doesn't seem to make silly mistakes
- No passengers, Bewley, Schultz and Colyer all played their roles well last night and did plenty of good things around the ground.
- Blakely good in his first game back

Negatives
- Matera doesn't seem to have the same drive and passion as last year, gotta drop him after that.
- Frederick needs a run in the 2s, looks a bit lost.

Serong was brilliant but the reason we won was due to our middle of the road performers playing at their peak.

Wilson - hampered for so long, suddenly breaking lines and goal-saving intensity.
Conca - Durable at every contest.
Cox/Hughes/Watson/Duman - all playing within their limitations with maximum footy smarts. Mind you I think we have something special in Watson, he even found the footy on the centre and found a target up forward.
Mundy - finally freed up by Serong to move the ball the way he did 5 years ago.
Schulz/Bewley/Crowden/Colyer - played their roles, Schulz bobbed up to impact the scoreboard, Bewley ran like a warhorse, Mitch 'I coulda played NRL' providing the grunt, grit and resolve that Suban and Mzungu could only dream of.

Most of these guys had off games the last two week and if they did again we lose comfortably. Outside of that Fyfe (hampered) , Lobb, Ryan, Darcy, Brayshaw and Cerra all gave us the same consistency we've been getting from them all year.

It really is a team match and arguably only Frederick and Matera were off the pace without being terrible. But someone like Taberner IS going to kick a bag each week when 20 out of the 22 players are on-form - otherwise he's dealing with grubby, unpredictable kicking and hurried movement into the forward 50.

This is all about cohesion, and we had in 2012-2015 with really only having 5-6 bona-fide elite superstars in the side.

I wouldn't be keen to make wholesale changes unless through injury or if we see a major drop in collective form - but I'm not so worried about the latter.

The exciting thing about this club at the moment is that even with our crippling injury list I really think there may be a collective buy-in that sees exciting, improved and cohesive football much quicker than anticipated - if can capitalize on this our upwards trajectory is not far away at all.

Since when an inside midfielder kicking is such a concern.
Still waiting on Dangerfield to upgrade his kicking to elite...
Blakely is fine. He was needed ahead of Tucker.

Fair point but you can see with Longmuir's gameplan (Im going to call it Neesham chip and draw-like), there's a premium on being efficient with disposable rather than just accumulating possession. He doesn't need to be an elite kick but if he can lift his kicking skill to reliable he would be so much more damaging.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back