Review Round 9 vs Greater Western Sydney @ Metricon (Sun 2/8/20 - 3:35pm)

Sep 28, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal
Seems obvious you'd drop Hanley, push Weller to HB and bring in another genuine mid in Brodie or Fiorini
Weller wasn't our worst yesterday but I think he's a better HB than on-baller
Personally disagree, Weller has had a good season this point, a goal kicking midfielder, move him to HB and you lose that and pace out of the midfield and his potential to hit the score board.

He is a point of difference in a very one paced midfield.

Mar 18, 2011
Everett
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
New England Patriots
They beat us with 21 men and the one missing was their superstar
You can't sugarcoat that effort
Even without Greene they have these calibre of players: 1x AA forward, 3x AA mids (then Tarranto and Hopper who are probably not far off), 2x AA backman. They have guns on every line. Someone else put it well that if our B-Grade midfield lowers their colours it very quickly becomes a C-Grade midfield. Definitely a lack of effort, but we do need some perspective. Even if their mids are running around at 80% efficiency (tbh it looked like they were cruising at times), still better than ours on the day which is disappointing.

The lack of tackle numbers is really interesting. Just across the entire group. What happened? Did we get our 10-day prep wrong? Too much recovery? Not enough training?

Thinking about the poor performance, I know someone like me is mentally scarred from how they have belted us over the past decade by huge margins. It was just impossible to me how see how we could win. I wondered (but hoped not) that some players who have been through the same weren't also affected. Given the performance though, that question surely has to be asked.

The days of Rowell playing seem like an eternity ago.

Mar 18, 2011
Everett
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
New England Patriots
Personally disagree, Weller has had a good season this point, a goal kicking midfielder, move him to HB and you lose that and pace out of the midfield and his potential to hit the score board.

Agree with this. Weller is having a career best year in nearly every facet. Thought he was one of our better performing mids yesterday. He has stuff to work on no doubt, especially against the bigger bodies, but just needs to keep working on it.

Nov 17, 2009
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast

I don't disagree but beggars can't be choosers
Weller>>Hanley at HB IMO and that allows Fiorini or Brodie to play.
I'd be inclined to bring in both and just go for massive rotations
I'd also like to see Day or King rested to allow 2MP a shot, although it appears Corbett may be in front
I don't think Powell is getting dropped.
He is quick and good by foot but I despair at his fragility in a contest
Lemmens for MacPherson is a no brainer

RowellAnderson12

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 4, 2019
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool, Max Verstappen, Pacers, DR3
Weller didn't get much of the ball yesterday but when he did he was more clean and more effective than most our mids. Use's his pace every chance he gets and very clean hands. We need him in the midfield, Bowes & Weller are both too good not to play midfield.

Jessbek

Club Legend
Mar 24, 2012
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal, Arizona Cardinals
We need him in the midfield, Bowes & Weller are both too good not to play midfield.
Agree wholeheartedly but I think its getting to the stage where we push them back for this season and the short term, cull the rot i.e. hanley and look to secure a halfback over the off season.

Hombsch or Rory would also be handy. Collins is a star and has pretty good disposal. Would like to see him in the Robbie Tarrant mould

Jirik13

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 22, 2018
AFL Club
Gold Coast
The lack of tackle numbers is really interesting. Just across the entire group. What happened? Did we get our 10-day prep wrong? Too much recovery? Not enough training?
Agree, this one is baffling. You would expect after 10 days break players to be up to it. Too long break and bodies, minds in off season mode :)

Mt Isa Mustang

Cancelled
Dream Team Club Board Winner
Nov 23, 2019
AFL Club
Gold Coast
It's official, Ben Ainsworth loves playing against GWS (aside from the losing part)

Games
2020 - 14 disposals, 9 marks, 7 i50, 1 goal
2019 - 27 disposals, 4 marks, 3 tackles, 1 goal assist
2018 - 16 disposals, 3 marks, 7 tackles, 6 clearances

Career highs in possessions, handballs, marks, tackles, inside 50's, AFL fantasy score all came against GWS the past 3 years.

Screen Shot 2020-08-03 at 2.08.54 pm.png

NOBBYS

All Australian
Mar 19, 2018
AFL Club
Gold Coast
One word sums up yesterdays performance HORRIBLE!
We were horrible from the start and it never got much better at any stage.
Like most would have thought after such a long break we would be fresh and raring to go.
Instead looked liked we returned from Perth on a three day break.
A couple of real disappointing issues ;
1 Dropped marks and poor disposal was totally inexcusable in such perfect conditions ,majority of players at fault.
2 Except for Collins and Ellis all senior players were very ordinary.
3 Thirty five tackles - pressure is our go did not happen yesterday.
How we got so close is beyond me , maybe that is one small positive from the game.
Really surprised we did not change our midfield setup until late we were smashed in the middle all day.
Selectors have been reluctant to make any changes for too long now several will need to be made.
MacPherson Hanley Holman must go .
Day giving very little up forward and zero in the ruck ; Wright and Corbett much better options.
Harbrow not sure Jarrod has much left to offer.
It is now time to show that we do have genuine depth on the list.
Lets hope yesterday was just a BAD day.
On a brighter note we do live in the best city in the UNIVERSE.
Cheers

Mar 14, 2014
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Las Vegas Bears
Just sat through the replay somehow.
Noah Anderson in the middle in the last quarter was brilliant. Reckon he might of had 10 touches and 4 or so clearances. Really impressed with the young feller. Needs a bit more strength through the hips but his ball tracking and clearance nous is top notch

Sassermon

Team Captain
Feb 8, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Big part of our progress has involved creating a competitive environment to motivate the young group. I dont mean go hysterical but I think that making changes and showing that if you dont put in the effort your spot isnt guaranteed is exactly what they need. the proverbial kick up the bum.

Jirik13

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 22, 2018
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Just sat through the replay somehow.
Noah Anderson in the middle in the last quarter was brilliant. Reckon he might of had 10 touches and 4 or so clearances. Really impressed with the young feller. Needs a bit more strength through the hips but his ball tracking and clearance nous is top notch
Yeah, just finished watching replay too. Painful. Intensity in contest was not there.

Rowell and Anderson in the middle should be a deadly combo in a couple of years.

While I love Budarick, he was very poor with his kicks. He missed like 6 targets with not too much pressure on him. I noticed that too when he played in NEAFL sometimes. I hope he can clean that up. Otherwise he's a ripper.

Ben's contested mark at the end was a beauty.

Last edited:

eppo67

Premiership Player
May 24, 2015
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Agree, this one is baffling. You would expect after 10 days break players to be up to it. Too long break and bodies, minds in off season mode :)
Actually the longer the break the more it throws out the muscle memory continuity. That's why teams perform often poorly after a bye.
I was worried about the extra break in relation to this and it's often transferred to lethargy across the ground.

Jirik13

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 22, 2018
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Actually the longer the break the more it throws out the muscle memory continuity. That's why teams perform often poorly after a bye.
I was worried about the extra break in relation to this and it's often transferred to lethargy across the ground.
You should tell me before the game so I would pick different game to attend. On top of it I had to sit next to GWS fans :)

Mt Isa Mustang

Cancelled
Nov 23, 2019
AFL Club
Gold Coast
He was a great lead up option yesterday. Could have easily had 4 goals if he was kicking better.
I think it is pretty clear by now, he is just not a great kick.

He had two kicks to Sexton who was leading 5m clear in an open forward line. Just hit Sexton on one but the kick wasn't great, ball went to ground on the other when Sexton got dragged back.
Plus the out on the full from a drop punt in play 30m out.
Pretty regularly misses gettable shots

Nov 17, 2009
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast

He had two kicks to Sexton who was leading 5m clear in an open forward line. Just hit Sexton on one but the kick wasn't great, ball went to ground on the other when Sexton got dragged back.
Surprising because he looks like a guy who should have a compact action

Sep 28, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal

It seems like his kicking has gone off a cliff this year, was such a clean user last season, needs to tidy that up again.

Mt Isa Mustang

Cancelled
Nov 23, 2019
AFL Club
Gold Coast
It seems like his kicking has gone off a cliff this year, was such a clean user last season, needs to tidy that up again.
Surprising because he looks like a guy who should have a compact action

Yeah, he should be but nah I have never thought he was a good kick. Misses to the right 90% of the time. Slices it regularly.

Back