Review Round 10, 2020 vs Western Bulldogs

Jonathan Brown was talking about Rozee, Butters and Duursma after the game. Said he's heard (presumably directly from Michael Voss) that they all live and breathe football and are as professional and dedicated as Simon Black.

diegodcg

Club Legend
Apr 9, 2015
London, UK
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Flamengo, Liverpool, St Helens, A's
I was trying to check our fixture list but AFL's website only has it up to the round 12. Is this correct? The remainder is supposed to be announced later or something?

Looks like we've still got to play Collingwood, Essendon, Geelong, Hawthorn, North Melbourne, Richmond and Sydney

Port_Girl_92

Senior List
Mar 8, 2019
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Firstlt, the goal review was right. They used snicko and it hit the post. Im ok with that.

But, i think after reading all these comments our defence has been severely underrated. Jonas, Cluz and McKenzie take a freaking bow, they are the reason we won that game. They took on an absokute barrage of attacks in that first half and the dogs only got 3 goals. Not only J, C and McK but also DBJ, Harlett and Mayesy who gobbled up everything the big 3 brought the ground. Unbelievable defensive display.

Josh Bruce lol

Feb 20, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
You guys care far too much about commentary

It becomes a much larger issue when commentary has to potential to sway casuals and the ill informed either way for support. This has a flow on effect all the way to the bottom line. You think Collingwood or West Coast cop such unprofessional and biased commentary against?

Sat up in the Southern Stand with raman Laugh Laugh and my two lads. Great view, better than I expected. As close to 'birds eye' view as you could get.

I thought we dominated play for most of the game. The Dogs seemed super desperate to win and were throwing everything at it but from where I sat, without any commentary or game day thread histrionics, we were clearly the better team on the park.

The last 5mins was a slog and you could see both teams were running on empty.

Butters was sensational. A freakish Energiser Bunny when it comes to his second and third efforts. His ball sense and awareness of what's around him is like nothing I've ever seen. Easily my favourite player right now.

DBJ was still good and seemed to pop up when needed. Same with Clurey & McKenzie.

Jonas was ******* hard last night. Big man crunching his opponents and taking hits himself. I felt that nut crunch he suffered when Durs back into him for the mark. I've ever seen Jonas react to a hit like that before. Must have been a doozy.

Woodcock's goal retraction was everything I hate about what has happened to football. Who the * cares if it caressed the post on the way through, really. If you need super sensitive, micro-seismic equipment, with a shitty LED graphic display, to tell if something is a goal or not, then you don't really have any feel for or understanding of the game you're custodian of.

The ball went through on the right side of the post and didn't deviate, end of story. Phrases like "no daylight" and "clear spike" are ridiculous ways to adjudicate a game of football.

diegodcg

Club Legend
Apr 9, 2015
London, UK
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Flamengo, Liverpool, St Helens, A's
Firstlt, the goal review was right. They used snicko and it hit the post. Im ok with that.

But, i think after reading all these comments our defence has been severely underrated. Jonas, Cluz and McKenzie take a freaking bow, they are the reason we won that game. They took on an absokute barrage of attacks in that first half and the dogs only got 3 goals. Not only J, C and McK but also DBJ, Harlett and Mayesy who gobbled up everything the big 3 brought the ground. Unbelievable defensive display.

Josh Bruce lol

Jonas is so bloody impressive, he's really commanding and very reliable. The only team to have conceded fewer points than us is Collingwood and only because they've got a game in hand. Conceding only 48.5 points per game on average

Sep 9, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I dont mind the goal review as most on here. Snicko is there for a reason and if you have a sound, a goal umpire thats called for the review and no clear gap between ball and post its a fair call.

I've stated for years that the umps have the biggest advantage over the cameras by being able to hear if the ball hits anything and so feel it'd be hypocritical to hate on edge.

Would've been a cracking first goal though.

“can’t see daylight between the ball and post” hasn’t been rolled out in any of the thousands of goal reviews previously so why was it a new measurement applied last night?

also I’m going to pull you up on snicko
There seems to be a few people not understanding what this is and what it does

It does not record a hit on the post

it’s a microphone. It picks up sound. That could be a hit on the post, or any other sound that happens in the area

a bouncing ball
An umpire standing right near it could make a sound any number of ways. Stepping on dry grass. Knocking his heels together
Pants rustling

the microphone has zero ability to distinguish what is making the sound.

Last edited:

BornPort

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 24, 2011
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
The fact that you and Byon!! chose to refer to events from 5 seasons ago rather than tonight's match, suggests you recognise the truth insinuated by my post.

If you want to watch the mother of all umpiring rides, but actually perceive it, then I suggest that you simply re-watch tonight's game but try to pretend you were a Dog's supporter whilst doing so. I guarantee it will be a frustrating evening's viewing.

Before you get too defensive, I'd like to point out that I actually don't mind Port as a side. I think you have some really good talent coming through and some good mature leaders. Much of tonight's game was a good hard fought contest. It was a genuine shame the biased umpiring impacted so heavily on the game, which might have gone right down to the wire otherwise.

If it was a horse race it would have led to a serious inquiry from the stewards.
Your club is a blight on the game. Cheats.

Sep 9, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
It becomes a much larger issue when commentary has to potential to sway casuals and the ill informed either way for support. This has a flow on effect all the way to the bottom line. You think Collingwood or West Coast cop such unprofessional and biased commentary against?

yep

the media forms a narrative

brands spend billions of dollars to control the narrative around their products.

it’s naive to think that it doesn’t have a flow in effect in terms of sponsor attraction, drawing new fans, equality in the draw regarding time slots, MRP adjudications, player accolades and so on

in fact I would say that it’s been proven beyond any reasonable doubt to have directly influenced all of these things.

Couldn't see daylight. That cracked me up. It was night you idiot.

The sound was probably the umpire farting in fear at having to make a decision.

Jonathan Brown was talking about Rozee, Butters and Duursma after the game. Said he's heard (presumably directly from Michael Voss) that they all live and breathe football and are as professional and dedicated as Simon Black.
Well let’s hope they all have a career like his.

Apr 10, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I was trying to check our fixture list but AFL's website only has it up to the round 12. Is this correct? The remainder is supposed to be announced later or something?

Looks like we've still got to play Collingwood, Essendon, Geelong, Hawthorn, North Melbourne, Richmond and Sydney

They’re making the fixture as they go along this year because they can’t plan too far ahead due to COVID-19 always changing things.

The last 5 rounds will probably be announced in the next couple of weeks.

70sDinosaur

Premiership Player
May 16, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I watch a lot of the NFL, where they have video reviews and the technology allows them to use super slow motion with razor sharp focus, so you can see exactly what is happening.

Going from that to the AFL's system is like watching the action from the inside of a fish tank. The video is of such poor quality that I don't believe anyone can credibly claim to see anything definitive in it.

Until they bring the technology up to modern standards, the AFL's video review system is a blight on the game and should be shelved.

Sep 9, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I watch a lot of the NFL, where they have video reviews and the technology allows them to use super slow motion with razor sharp focus, so you can see exactly what is happening.

Going from that to the AFL's system is like watching the action from the inside of a fish tank. The video is of such poor quality that I don't believe anyone can credibly claim to see anything definitive in it.

Until they bring the technology up to modern standards, the AFL's video review system is a blight on the game and should be shelved.

A system that was brought in to get rid of the howler has created more bad calls than its prevented

it’s still entirely reliant on the same failures of the system it’s meant to be better than. Human error

Lol how is flopping all over the place and shitting the bed considered brave?

tenor.gif

Jun 19, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Plastic club?
What is that even?

You're talking to a supporter of a club so desperately struggling for relevance in an overcrowded market, that it changed its name in a national competition to "Western Bulldogs" despite existing on the country's eastern seaboard. Just to shore up their tiny little patch of inner west Melbourne.

They may as well have just remained as Footscray.

PowerBaz

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 13, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
You're talking to a supporter of a club so desperately struggling for relevance in an overcrowded market, that it changed its name in a national competition to "Western Bulldogs" despite existing on the country's eastern seaboard. Just to shore up their tiny little patch of inner west Melbourne.

They may as well have just remained as Footscray.

They better ask 'Ed'.....

Jan 20, 2015
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
The fact that you and Byon!! chose to refer to events from 5 seasons ago rather than tonight's match, suggests you recognise the truth insinuated by my post.

If you want to watch the mother of all umpiring rides, but actually perceive it, then I suggest that you simply re-watch tonight's game but try to pretend you were a Dog's supporter whilst doing so. I guarantee it will be a frustrating evening's viewing.

Before you get too defensive, I'd like to point out that I actually don't mind Port as a side. I think you have some really good talent coming through and some good mature leaders. Much of tonight's game was a good hard fought contest. It was a genuine shame the biased umpiring impacted so heavily on the game, which might have gone right down to the wire otherwise.

If it was a horse race it would have led to a serious inquiry from the stewards.
Engaging with this in good faith. Can you please show some examples of this biased umpiring that impacted the game so heavily in our favour. I know that generally footy fans are one eyed and only see the decisions that they think are wrong against them, so I would genuinely like to see it from someone else’s point of view. Because the way I see it, your team kicked 5 goals for the match, 3 of which were from free kicks. And the free kick count was close. Hardly significantly one sided.

Jun 19, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Couldn't see daylight. That cracked me up. It was night you idiot.

The sound was probably the umpire farting in fear at having to make a decision.

"Couldn't see daylight". In a forensic, high definition, close up analysis this may hold some weight. But when all your camera angles are long distance, grainy, poor quality vision you really are having a.laugh rolling out this line on national television.

El_Scorcho

Hall of Famer
Aug 21, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Aston Villa, San Antonio Spurs
You guys care far too much about commentary

I think they absolutely have the ability to commence and direct the narrative with stuff like potential MRP issues, and we also know that the AFL care about perception above all else.

Clayton Oliver raising his elbow and hitting Ladhams late in the face was met immediately with a chorus of "barely grazed him, nothing in it".

WGT has spoken. Did laugh at the ground when the start of the second quarter was held up to finish the Nova ad with Ben, Liam and Tredders. Such a South Australian thing. :D

Back