Autopsy Positives and Negatives vs Geelong

Remove this Banner Ad

Ya, I don't love the pile-on either, not necessarily here, but the Insta/FB nuffies.

But I just don't think he's up to it, not now anyway and not in a foreign position. He doesn't look to have the footy smarts to play forward or the safe (not necessarily elite) disposal needed to play outside of the contest.

I think Hutchings is the logical replacement when he's fit. I thought we might have moved past him at the beginning of the year, but we don't have another obvious option and now that we look to be making a real run at it, there's no room to be mucking about.

Hutchings brings experience, tidiness, running capacity and the ability to maintain laser focus. He also has the ability to tag, which is a handy in-game option.
I thought being a tagger was all that Hutchings was these days. Well, it should be anyway. He is elite in that role.

He used to be so confident on his right.. that medial injury did something to him
Yeah Sheed used to use his right as well. Two players that were rated as elite kicks in the juniors but haven't had it translate at AFL level. That said Sheed still has a dead kick when he doesn't try to over do it.

In the last 2 minutes ball was kicked to JK one on one. He was in a position to go for the mark, BUT, post the 1 on 1 contest, their was 3 Geelong players about to hit the contest for the crumb. Instead he simply one handed the ball to the boundary line. Got players to the bounce down, Sheed got the ball to Cripps, Cripps kicked to JK who took the grab

That bit of play IMO says everything about him. He has football smarts like no other. 99 out of 100 players try to take the grab in that spot but he had the awareness to realise any losing of the contest would see the ball riccochet back into Geelongs forward line as they had numbers everwhere. He took the safest and smartest option first and got the reward for it

No doubt in my mind that post playing days he transitions to a coach. His reading of the play is unlike any other FF in the game

Absolutely spot on.

One of the commentators was praising Harry Taylor but another (Richo maybe) commented that it was also good work from JK to force a throw in and for us to reset.

I wonder if Ainsworth wouldn't benefit with more of a run with/Hutchings type of role. Just lock down on someone, spend time on elite mids learning that way. Would also force him to get down and dirty rather than sitting on the edge of contests?

Agree in the current role he has he's ineffectual.

The rest of the team was fantastic.
Seeing Nic Nat in full flight is such a joy to watch.

I wonder if Ainsworth wouldn't benefit with more of a run with/Hutchings type of role. Just lock down on someone, spend time on elite mids learning that way. Would also force him to get down and dirty rather than sitting on the edge of contests?

I just don't see what we gain out of blooding Ainsworth ahead of Xav O'Neill (heck, even Mitch when he's fit).

Oh, and welcome. :)

Third quarter Nic & stoppage connection (1st half on page 7 & 8):

Duncan just gets brushed aside here
View attachment 926849

Oof
View attachment 926850

Almost came off
View attachment 926852

We see this setup so often. Yeo protects the space and taps it to the rover coming through
View attachment 926854

Clever block by Gaff allows Kelly through to collect the tap
View attachment 926855

Another oof
View attachment 926856
Such a blessing and a curse that we have elite forwards ahaha. On one hands it so awesome having targets to kick to but on the other hand you would love to see a couple of mids just dob one through. Shuey used to actually put em through a while back tho.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

First post, 3 likes
Solid start.

Third quarter Nic & stoppage connection (1st half on page 7 & 8):

Duncan just gets brushed aside here
View attachment 926849

Oof
View attachment 926850

Almost came off
View attachment 926852

We see this setup so often. Yeo protects the space and taps it to the rover coming through
View attachment 926854

Clever block by Gaff allows Kelly through to collect the tap
View attachment 926855

Another oof
View attachment 926856

Really liking the way Gaffy has been playing in recent weeks. He is sacrificing his game at the stoppage to get the other boys off the leash. Amazing how much more dynamic we look with Boots, Yeo and TK around the ball. We really showed the Geelong mids up with our acceleration over the first 4-5 steps.

Need to watch it again, but probably the mosquito fleet did have a part in that magnificent set play. NicNat and JK connected, and JK had a line that was open just enough to grab it and kick it.
I watched it a couple of times and there was a cheeky little nod between both of them right before it happens. Also think the umpire must have been in on it because he put a magnificent block on Harry Taylor :p

Really liking the way Gaffy has been playing in recent weeks. He is sacrificing his game at the stoppage to get the other boys off the leash. Amazing how much more dynamic we look with Boots, Yeo and TK around the ball. We really showed the Geelong mids up with our acceleration over the first 4-5 steps.
Gaff been more beneficial to the side and performance playing this role than one where he accumulates but doesn't always hurt that much.

Gaff been more beneficial to the side and performance playing this role than one where he accumulates but doesn't always hurt that much.

He has been tackling much better too. He is sticking them way better than previous years.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back