Review Round 10, 2020 vs Western Bulldogs

Remove this Banner Ad

"Couldn't see daylight". In a forensic, high definition, close up analysis this may hold some weight. But when all your camera angles are long distance, grainy, poor quality vision you really are having a.laugh rolling out this line on national television.

Even if the vision wasn't s**t, you'd need to see at least half a dozen different angles of a two dimensional image to be sure it actually did hit the post - and even then, there's some doubt over whether there could be a millimetre in it.

Whatever happened to what we were all taught as kids playing footy - it's only touched or hit the post if there's a clear deviation of the ball. All of a sudden, fingers moving backwards microscopic amounts and snicko movements on goal posts is considered good enough.

Couple of other random thoughts from the game ...

I couldn't believe how physical Ladhams was with English. Pete looks a bit bean-poley as a young ruckman but he really physically went in there and made his presence felt. I was surprised at the strength he showed. Maybe Arnie coached him during the week ;). Was good to see.

A number of Port players had a long chat with Bont after the game. Charlie was talking away to him - maybe telling him about coffee shops on the Gold Coast - then a few more gathered around and joined in.

There can be no doubt that Port Adelaide’s best player last night was Bulldogs Goalkicking.

The Bulldogs got off to a fast start but like being in an argument with your partner, you have to pay attention the entire time or you get torn to shreds.

The third quarter was when the Bulldogs lost focus, and the Port didn’t need an invitation to pile on the goals and set up the win.

Bulldogs fans would be happy their team kept working, but they were more inaccurate than your uncle’s COVID Facebook posts.

5G activates Chemtrails, which spreads COVID through making people want to protest against racism. Also COVID is a government conspiracy.”

The other big problem for the Bulldogs was their inability to take a contested mark.

Contrast this with Charlie Dixon’s impact at the other end, who took some impressive grabs and converted them.

A big part of Dixon’s success is his beard, which is recognised by the United Nations as a Wilderness Protected Area. Dixon has to get permission from them to even brush it.

It’s so dense he can’t wear a mask as they end up shredded in minutes.

Once at training, a ball was kicked into Dixon’s beard and completely disappeared. His beard therefore takes more contested marks than the Bulldogs.

The ball itself has never been recovered.

Even if the vision wasn't sh*t, you'd need to see at least half a dozen different angles of a two dimensional image to be sure it actually did hit the post - and even then, there's some doubt over whether there could be a millimetre in it.

Whatever happened to what we were all taught as kids playing footy - it's only touched or hit the post if there's a clear deviation of the ball.

It was just a shithouse decision denying a first gamer a goal with his first kick (or close enough dammit!).

Absolute rubbish technicality that ruined a moment of great theatre in the game. Meanwhile duck head, roll shoulder, throw head back, free kick. Review that crap.

I guess the technology did what it should and saved Farrell's goal, because I'm fairly sure the umpire called touched from 1m away when it was clearly nowhere near being touched.

Even so, MG should have been paid a free in the goal square before the soccer through, as two players jumped up the front of him and chopped his arms to stop him marking.

Latest rumour/theory on the Bulldogs board - The game was officiated by SANFL umpires because of a quarantine stuff up - this is why the Dogs were cheated out of a win.

Seriously, some of them need to be neutered for the good of the human race.

A number of Port players had a long chat with Bont after the game. Charlie was talking away to him - maybe telling him about coffee shops on the Gold Coast - then a few more gathered around and joined in.

IIRC, Bont went to the US with Boak and Dixon to train during the off season.

Latest rumour/theory on the Bulldogs board - The game was officiated by SANFL umpires because of a quarantine stuff up - this is why the Dogs were cheated out of a win.
Yeah like the SANFL umps have always look after us and give us a free ride

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Richard Williams was reanimated for this sole purpose I hear

We were scheduled to play the Bulldogs in Ballarat Rd 22 15th August.

Today in Ballarat its 5.6 degrees at the moment, top is supposed to be 7 and good chance of snow according to BOM
Cloudy. Very high (90%) chance of showers and the chance of snow flurries at times. The chance of a thunderstorm in the late morning and afternoon. Possible hail in the late morning and afternoon. Winds westerly 25 to 30 km/h tending southwesterly 30 to 35 km/h in the middle of the day then decreasing to 20 to 25 km/h in the evening.

The boys might have been pissed off with a 4 day break but at least no snow to contend with and it was 10-11 deg,

So I asked this in the game thread but lost track of replies during the game....
Was that the first use ever of AFL snicko, or had it been rolled out before last night? I haven't been watching heaps of games this year.

Yeah I've seen it used several times before. Almost every time it is the deciding factor for any inconclusive 'did it hit the post' decisions. At least until hot spot is rolled out.

The same SANFL that had us down 16-0 after quarter time in the free kick count at Alberton vs South Adelaide? GET *****

Last edited:

Today in Ballarat its 5.6 degrees at the moment, top is supposed to be 7 and good chance of snow according to BOM
Cloudy. Very high (90%) chance of showers and the chance of snow flurries at times. The chance of a thunderstorm in the late morning and afternoon. Possible hail in the late morning and afternoon. Winds westerly 25 to 30 km/h tending southwesterly 30 to 35 km/h in the middle of the day then decreasing to 20 to 25 km/h in the evening.

The boys might have been pissed off with a 4 day break but at least no snow to contend with and it was 10-11 deg,

I heard from pastmyprimus this morning. It was snowing in Ballarat.

Luke Beveridge mentioned three or four times in his presser last night that his team wasted opportunities and that it was one that got away from them. Specifically mentioned Vandermeer kicking 0.4 with shots from 'long range', and that if one or two of them were goals the game would've been different. I feel like that's a very simplistic (and bad) way of looking at last night's game.

If you look at it another way—our kicking at goal was maybe just passable on the whole, but how many easy shots did we miss? Dixon's set shot 45m out straight in front, Woodcock's very sketchy score reviewed hit-the-post, Robbie's dribbler from next to the square that he'd kick 99 times out of 100, the Golden God's set shot 40m out straight in front, Westy's dribbler from 15m out straight in front, and Rockliff's set shot from 20m out on a slight angle.

I'd be shocked if our predicted score wasn't higher than Footscray's, to be honest. RussellEbertHandball or anyone else, does Murdoch's rag have the predicted score (based on difficulty of shots on goal) of both teams from last night's game?

I'm in inner melbourne and its currently 4 degrees!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back