Review Round 10, 2020 vs Western Bulldogs

Oct 12, 2007
The Hills
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Latest rumour/theory on the Bulldogs board - The game was officiated by SANFL umpires because of a quarantine stuff up - this is why the Dogs were cheated out of a win.
Haha. They have clearly never seen an SANFL game involving Port!

Imagine if they actually copped a Maggies level SANFL reaming.

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

How's this contradiction from Jason Dunstall last night, couldn't believe it when I heard it

And people wonder why we criticise the commentary. And Rockliff bent down to pick up the ball, then held his position. He didn't duck.

Oct 12, 2007
The Hills
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Has anyone ever watched a close game where one team is going full on attack throwing caution to the wind whilst the other team tries to hold on grimly to a small lead and thought "gee this is boring footy"?

Some of these commentators have zero feel for the game.

On SM-G960F using
BigFooty.com mobile app

Last edited:
1596515732129.png

I regularly say I look at my best 16 not best 22 as best 16 usually pick themselves and its bottom 6 that are in and out of the team due to form, injuries and oppo match up.

Also bottom 6 can determine how well you go in a game or in a season. This graph of the above players ratings shows how that stood out last night in a close game where Bulldogs were probably the better team for 3 of the 4 quarters.

1596515644180.png

Last edited:
View attachment 927206
View attachment 927210

I regularly say I look at my best 16 not best 22 as best 16 usually pick themselves and its bottom 6 that are in and out of the team due to form, injuries and oppo match up.

Also bottom 6 can determine how well you go in a game or in a season. This graph of the above players ratings shows how that stood out last night in a close game where Bulldogs were probably the better team for 3 of the 4 quarters.

View attachment 927207
Bulldogs resting Bont in the 3rd quarter cost them the game. We absolutely destroyed them.

We actually learned from the St Kilda game, which is good to see. Much more assured and assertive coming out of the backlines.

One quarter of good football and three quarters of okay football was enough to win.

The coaches would be highlighting that third quarter as the type of football we should be playing for four quarters by the end of the year.

Must be a curious spread of votes when the two leading vote getters score 7. A 5 and 2 each seeing as the next highest scorer was 4.

Must be a curious spread of votes when the two leading vote getters score 7. A 5 and 2 each seeing as the next highest scorer was 4.

Pretty much agree with the order of the votes of who was best players across the two teams.

These aren't as curious as the Saints game votes. 2 players got 5+0.

5 Zak Jones (STK)
5 Hunter Clark (STK)
5 Jade Gresham (STK)
4 Dougal Howard (STK)
4 Darcy Byrne-Jones (PORT)
3 Paddy Ryder (STK)
3 Rowan Marshall (STK)
1 Jack Steele (STK)

How's this contradiction from Jason Dunstall last night, couldn't believe it when I heard it

I hope thar was tweeted to all at Fox Footy and Dunstall himself.

Pickett4GOAT

Cancelled
May 27, 2020
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
They also spent 3 minutes on Rockliff ducking into a high tackle yet said nothing when a Bulldogs player did exactly the same thing in the second quarter. Then there was the Charlie Dixon free when he had his arms chopped in the marking contest then had and arm thrown across his shoulder while being pulled backward and according the Dunstall and King that was a 'lucky' free. Obviously calling games almost every night for ten days means FOXTEL have to use a B team occasionally but why does it have to be us that cops the dregs all the time?

This is probably just me but I found that apart from Ricuitto the other three had similar sounding voices and it was sometimes hard to tell if the comments were coming from Howard, Dunstall or King.
The bias of the commentating reached its zenith after that Rockliff incident. We went down the other end and kicked a great goal and yet Dunstall was still salty about it at the centre bounce. Just as bad was Brian Taylor in the Melbourne game. We kicked a nice goal and BT was still harping on about the teamwork of Gawn and May to rush a behind about two minutes earlier. David King and Jordan Lewis are just as bad, the only bloke who regularly bigs up Port and has unbiased commentary is Gerard Healy.

Proffessor

Club Legend
Jan 21, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Engaging with this in good faith. Can you please show some examples of this biased umpiring that impacted the game so heavily in our favour. I know that generally footy fans are one eyed and only see the decisions that they think are wrong against them, so I would genuinely like to see it from someone else’s point of view. Because the way I see it, your team kicked 5 goals for the match, 3 of which were from free kicks. And the free kick count was close. Hardly significantly one sided.

Because you asked in good faith I will reply in kind. (Although I recognise I might cop some more flack from others by doing so.)

Trying to highlight individual decisions would end up being too long winded and be subjective anyway, so I will use some more general stats to briefly explain my view of last night's umpiring.

The 17 to 14 free kick count may not seem lopsided if you expected such a count should be approximately even. However, the Bulldogs are probably the smallest, least physical team in the league and as a result tend to play annoyingly within the rules. It's not that we are great and fair blokes (although we generally are ;)), but because it's highly unlikely we will benefit from engaging in the extra physical stuff.

Last night Port were understandably the more physically aggressive team and were seemingly happy to run an increased risk of infringing to make sure the Dogs players 'earned' every possession. Which is all fine, but if you play that way you would also reasonably expect to end up behind in the free kick count, not in front.

I think the new roulette wheel style holding the ball interpretations in particular hurt the Dogs a lot more that Port than last night. Port apparently received 7 HTB Frees from 74 tackles, and the Bulldogs received just 1 from 64 tackles. That's a large differential in frees for a small difference in tackles.

In a reasonably close and competitive game, a few key decisions either way can easily impact the result.

Anyway, congrats on the victory and good luck for the rest of the season.

Oct 7, 2004
Adelaide, South Australia
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
just finished reading the thread and i am utterly bemused how Bulldogs supporters can think that they were robbed by the umpires

its beggars belief that their ducking and throwing go unpunished yet on some alternate universe we apparently were favoured by the umpires.

Didnt they kick 3 goals from free kicks out of their 6 and got a 50 that took them to the square while we had one taken off us for a bullshit snicko

I was sitting at the end side on where Wallis was taken "high" and went off with the blood rule. He dropped his knees and flopped as soon as he had possession of the ball. It was as blatant a duck as i have ever seen.

These bullflog supporters are delusional

oh and Dunstall can EAD

Oct 7, 2004
Adelaide, South Australia
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
However, the Bulldogs are probably the smallest, least physical team in the league and as a result tend to play annoyingly within the rules
and this is where you lose all credibility.

Anything to say about the blatant ducking from guys like Wallis, Weightman, McLean and the like.
What about the rugby passes.. anything there?

Oct 5, 2017
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Holy sh*t that's pathetic and embarrassing. Anyone who wasn't one of the boys would be sacked on the spot for that.
He was pathetic all game. The bias in the commentary was ridiculous. I'm still waiting for the constant replay and praise for Duursma's mark that they gave Walsh's, especially as Duursma's was more impressive given the extra difficulty and courage required.

Back