2020 best 22 discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

So an updated best 22 for this year as it currently sits. I'll leave Pearce and Hamling out. There has to be doubt either will play this year.
B:Wilson Logue Ryan
HB:Young Cox S.Hill
C: Aish Brayshaw Acres
R: Darcy Fyfe Tucker
HF: Walters Tabs Sturt
FF: Schultz Lobb Hogan

I/C Cerra, Mundy, Hughes, Serong

Henry is the obvious one I think will be there by he end of the year but not currently after only playing a half. Schultz needs to back up his effort on the weekend in the coming weeks to stay in the side. Wilson too needs to lift his output to stay there. It would be close between him and Conca.
Probably easy to say this after a couple of wins but man is it starting to get tough to decide that best 22.

You'd argue Henry has to be there by the end of the year but I cant see who I'm taking out.

My personal whipping boys in Bewley and Schultz have been reasonable / much improved the last two weeks and Hughes has been terrific since the Brisbane game.

Even bringing Pearce and Hamling in you have to take probably Wilson (significantly down on form) and Cox out (hasnt done too much wrong, as harsh as I've been on him).

Finally, only 1 player in this best 22 is retiring in the next 3 years. I'm really excited for where this list is heading

Probably easy to say this after a couple of wins but man is it starting to get tough to decide that best 22.

You'd argue Henry has to be there by the end of the year but I cant see who I'm taking out.

My personal whipping boys in Bewley and Schultz have been reasonable / much improved the last two weeks and Hughes has been terrific since the Brisbane game.

Even bringing Pearce and Hamling in you have to take probably Wilson (significantly down on form) and Cox out (hasnt done too much wrong, as harsh as I've been on him).

Finally, only 1 player in this best 22 is retiring in the next 3 years. I'm really excited for where this list is heading

Schultz, Mundy or Hughes would be rested for Liam Henry.
I can see Frederick debuting in next 4-5 weeks and Conca, or Acres having a rest.
Connor Blakely is a mystery.

as am I, think it might be somewhat optimistic if Hilly's body continues to hold up for 3 more years though

Schultz, Mundy or Hughes would be rested for Liam Henry.
I can see Frederick debuting in next 4-5 weeks and Conca, or Acres having a rest.
Connor Blakely is a mystery.
I could see Frederick coming in even this week if Serong (give him a rest for week not dropping him) is sore which I think he is. l think Frederick could play a similar low minutes ground time role playing forward and wing. The match write-ups on Frederick are very promising. Kicked three goals in the most recent scratch match.
Blakely shouldn't be a mystery anymore. David Hales was interviewed in the Sunday Times July 5 edition and he said Blakely was not in the side because of his defensive work and that he also needed to get cleaner coming out of stoppages. It really doesn't matter in the slightest, but I got abused on mass for stating that on Freo BF boards. Make no mistake Ive been wrong enough times myself but it has to be said the extent to which some on here overrate him is absurd.
. https://www.pressreader.com/australia/the-sunday-times-9029/20200704/282845078297938

Just want to return to the fantasy land where we have good injury luck and can field a future best 22!

How exciting is this forward line shaping up -

Frederick Hogan Walters
Henry Taberner Sturt

I'm not sure if Frederick is more naturally a winger - but from what I've seen he loves a goal and high half forward suits him.
Henry hasn't played yet but we all know he'll be a gun. Sturt just needs game time, he's a natural forward.
Walters playing more forward once we get our midfield sorted out.
If you're not a Tabs fan, you can have Lobb or Fyfe interchanging when not in the middle. In an ideal world if we can get the midfield going without him, I'd have Fyfe at Full Forward permanently for the last stretch of his career. Imagine the nightmares from oppo coaches - you can't have just one defender handle Fyfe, but leaving any of Hogan/Walters/Henry alone will hurt you.
If we can develop a decent enough midfield from Brayshaw/Cerra/Serong/Acres/Valente/Quality trade-in to give them the supply (Big IF), that forward line is kicking goals, lots of them.

I just made this (not so) tongue-in-cheek post in the injury thread.

“Houghton and Duffy up forward, EAntionio on the wing; Bowers in the guts, Miller rotating off wing to middle; Pugh, Seth, Mascall down back; O’Sullivan at HF; Stannett, Cuthbertson, Roux & KAntonio (stand-alone VC for her excellent leadership) on the bench.
Team sorted.”

Ignoring the fact the women can’t actually play against men (clearly), given the injuries, how would a combined team structure up? Let’s assume Fyfe and Sturt will be available this week.

FB: Pugh Gooch Hughes
HB: Aish EAntonio Wilson
C: Miller Bowers Cerra
HF: Sturt Taberner Serong
FF: Houghton Lobb Duffy
R: Meek, Fyfe, Brayshaw
I/C: Mundy Mascall Grieve McCarthy (suggest these 4);
E: Valente Blakely Henry O’Sullivan

Last edited:
I just made this (not so) tongue-in-cheek post in the injury thread.

“Houghton and Duffy up forward, EAntionio on the wing; Bowers in the guts, Miller rotating off wing to middle; Pugh, Seth, Mascall down back; O’Sullivan at HF; Stannett, Cuthbertson, Roux & KAntonio (stand-alone VC for her excellent leadership) on the bench.
Team sorted.”

Ignoring the fact the women can’t actually play against men (clearly), given the injuries, how would a combined team structure up? Let’s assume Fyfe and Sturt will be available this week.

FB: Pugh Gooch Hughes
HB: Aish EAntonio Wilson
C: Miller Bowers Cerra
HF: Sturt Taberner Serong
FF: Houghton Lobb Duffy
R: Meek, Fyfe, Brayshaw
I/C: Mundy Mascall Grieve McCarthy (suggest these 4);
E: Valente Blakely Henry O’Sullivan
Brilliant 👍

Team actually starts to look really interesting now - with decent depth (I suppose that makes sense given the number of injuries we've had to key players).

The back 7 is particularly hard to seperate but I'd probably go -
FB - Ryan Hamling Young
HB - Logue Pearce Wilson
with Hughes as the 7th defender. (Hill to the wing as that's probably a bigger problem error).

C - Aish Fyfe Hill
FOL - Darcy Mundy Serong
with Brayshaw and Cerra as the the bench two (I know there's a very strong case that Tucker should be ahead of these guys).

HF - Walters Hogan Sturt
FF - Lobb Tabs ___

Think this would have to be the region where we've not quite seen enough from some to really cement that spot. Shultz and Crowden both look capable of being that 6th and 7th player based on this weekends performance - but need to put it together more regularly. Henry could find his way onto that list or perhaps we're better off sending Fyfe forward. It'll be an interesting position to watch as the year progresses. Switowski probably had first dibs on the small forward role before getting injured so perhaps he's the man?

Team actually starts to look really interesting now - with decent depth (I suppose that makes sense given the number of injuries we've had to key players).

The back 7 is particularly hard to seperate but I'd probably go -
FB - Ryan Hamling Young
HB - Logue Pearce Wilson
with Hughes as the 7th defender. (Hill to the wing as that's probably a bigger problem error).

C - Aish Fyfe Hill
FOL - Darcy Mundy Serong
with Brayshaw and Cerra as the the bench two (I know there's a very strong case that Tucker should be ahead of these guys).

HF - Walters Hogan Sturt
FF - Lobb Tabs ___

Think this would have to be the region where we've not quite seen enough from some to really cement that spot. Shultz and Crowden both look capable of being that 6th and 7th player based on this weekends performance - but need to put it together more regularly. Henry could find his way onto that list or perhaps we're better off sending Fyfe forward. It'll be an interesting position to watch as the year progresses. Switowski probably had first dibs on the small forward role before getting injured so perhaps he's the man?
Honestly think that is a top 4 side when fully fit and playing multiple games together. Sadly it’s a pipe dream.

Honestly think that is a top 4 side when fully fit and playing multiple games together. Sadly it’s a pipe dream.
You need to include the next 6 players when looking at a top 4 side. That probably means picking from Henry, Cox, Valente, Tucker, Acres, Duman, Blakely, Crowden and Conca.

Best 22 for 2021 that will never happen.
Ryan Hamling Logue
Young Pearce Hughes
Hill Fyfe Aish
Walters Tabs Crowden
Henry Hogan Lobb.

Ruck: Darcy Serong Brayshaw.

Int: Conca Mundy Tucker Cerra

Notes: Reckon Mundy is good enough for 1 more year. Doubt we will get 15 games out of Hilly or Pearce but put them in anyway. Schultz unlucky but Mitch Crowden to become a regular. Controversial but prefer Hughes to Wilson. This is a top 4 side when fully fit. Need to recruit 1 more really good tap ruckman and maybe 1 more quality midfielder (Blakely and Acres aren't it)

Best 22 for 2021 that will never happen.
Ryan Hamling Logue
Young Pearce Hughes
Hill Fyfe Aish
Walters Tabs Crowden
Henry Hogan Lobb.

Ruck: Darcy Serong Brayshaw.

Int: Conca Mundy Tucker Cerra

Notes: Reckon Mundy is good enough for 1 more year. Doubt we will get 15 games out of Hilly or Pearce but put them in anyway. Schultz unlucky but Mitch Crowden to become a regular. Controversial but prefer Hughes to Wilson. This is a top 4 side when fully fit. Need to recruit 1 more really good tap ruckman and maybe 1 more quality midfielder (Blakely and Acres aren't it)
You're right about the preference of Hughes to Wilson being controversial haha. Wait and see on that one I reckon.

The biggest point of controversy that I see is the omission of Sturt for Crowden.

Would also like to see Conca/Mundy being edged out by the likes of Valente or Blakely or North.

If Dardy can get fit would be great to see a spot for him, maybe rotating between playing forward and on the wing. Dardy's ability to play on the wing is likely going to determine if he gets games or not, going to be hard to squeeze him in up forward permanently.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You're right about the preference of Hughes to Wilson being controversial haha. Wait and see on that one I reckon.

The biggest point of controversy that I see is the omission of Sturt for Crowden.

Would also like to see Conca/Mundy being edged out by the likes of Valente or Blakely or North.

If Dardy can get fit would be great to see a spot for him, maybe rotating between playing forward and on the wing. Dardy's ability to play on the wing is likely going to determine if he gets games or not, going to be hard to squeeze him in up forward permanently.
If Sturt comes in he might take Henry's place? We need a pressure forward though, it's one of the most important positions on the ground in my opinion, so keep Crowden

Controversial but I reckon Tobe Watson will put up a pretty strong case for best 22 before the rest are fit.
He just screams one of those quiet, no fuss, shuts his man down, always keeps a cool head, makes good decisions types.
Every backline needs one you can just set your watch to.

d9fu4go4fr101.jpg

Controversial but I reckon Tobe Watson will put up a pretty strong case for best 22 before the rest are fit.
He just screams one of those quiet, no fuss, shuts his man down, always keeps a cool head, makes good decisions types.
Every backline needs one you can just set your watch to.

d9fu4go4fr101.jpg

Tough to fit him in as a back flanker when Young, Ryan, Wilson, Aish, Logue, Conca are up and about plus Hughes and Duman there abouts.
We have a riches in HBF,s

Tough to fit him in as a back flanker when Young, Ryan, Wilson, Aish, Logue, Conca are up and about plus Hughes and Duman there abouts.
I reckon eventually Young and Logue will move into the midfield. That will be scary good with the young dudes already there.

Indeed. In the unlikely event they were all fit then"
Pearce, Hamling, Logue, Ryan, Young Wilson all automatic.
Aish plays on a wing, Conca is a great leader but not in the class of the others.
If we're picking 1 more to complete the back 7 (one on the bench) then its between:
Hill, Hughes, Duman, Watson and I suppose Conca.
Hill would be a monty if he was fit but he could play further up the ground for mine.
I reckon its between Hughes & Watson. Hughes has the runs on the board and I think he's a very good defender but I believe Watson will have him covered for composure & decision making. Remains to be seen if he'll go as hard as Ethan does. Ethan never shirks a contest and is an above average intercept marker.

I'd have a crack at Zac Williams this year if he is RFA. I think Hill is a very short term thing.

Conca was much better as a run with this week.

A backline that looks like:
Ryan Hamling Logue
Williams, Pearce and Young/Wilson gives us some flexibility. Hughes and Watson also.
Young and Williams could also play wing

I like the adding of two years to see where the list is at in 2 years (rd 1 2022)

Ryan Hamling* Logue
Young Pearce* Wilson
Aish Serong Cerra
Walters Hogan Henry
Sturt Tabs Lobb

Darcy AB Fyfe

Tucker Watson Hughes Frederick

Depth already on the list: Duman, Cox, Meek, Acres, Conca, Switta*, Schultz, Bewly, Crowden, Valente, Blakely, Pina/Thomas

Projected delistings by then: McCarthy, North, Banfield, Butters, Carter, Giro, O'Reilly, Dixon, Matera, Colyer, Pina/Thomas

Retirements: Mundy, Hill

*Could be forced retirement due to injury
Bolded I can see asking for a trade for opportunity
Italic will be based on list sizes and NGA spots

Some of the delistings might be harsh but that's the AFL reality and if we need the list to get down to a flat forty its going to be even more. Feel free to come at me

I like the adding of two years to see where the list is at in 2 years (rd 1 2022)

Ryan Hamling* Logue
Young Pearce* Wilson
Aish Serong Cerra
Walters Hogan Henry
Sturt Tabs Lobb

Darcy AB Fyfe

Tucker Watson Hughes Frederick

Depth already on the list: Duman, Cox, Meek, Acres, Conca, Switta*, Schultz, Bewly, Crowden, Valente, Blakely, Pina/Thomas

Projected delistings by then: McCarthy, North, Banfield, Butters, Carter, Giro, O'Reilly, Dixon, Matera, Colyer, Pina/Thomas

Retirements: Mundy, Hill

*Could be forced retirement due to injury
Bolded I can see asking for a trade for opportunity
Italic will be based on list sizes and NGA spots

Some of the delistings might be harsh but that's the AFL reality and if we need the list to get down to a flat forty its going to be even more. Feel free to come at me
Looks about spot on to me. I hope Hill will still be running around but doubtful. When are we likely to be able to extend the contracts of the likes of Cerra, Young etc who come out of contract end 2021.
The COVID thing may work in the clubs favour regarding the Vic boys. Serong looked stoked after the win on Sunday. I’d get a contract in front of him ASAP. There’s been a few hints from Cerra as well that he’s happy with where things are headed, I remember him mentioning how strong he thought the midfield was earlier this year.

Looks about spot on to me. I hope Hill will still be running around but doubtful. When are we likely to be able to extend the contracts of the likes of Cerra, Young etc who come out of contract end 2021.
The COVID thing may work in the clubs favour regarding the Vic boys. Serong looked stoked after the win on Sunday. I’d get a contract in front of him ASAP. There’s been a few hints from Cerra as well that he’s happy with where things are headed, I remember him mentioning how strong he thought the midfield was earlier this year.
Would kill for the club to announce a "4 for 4" signing at the end of the year.

4 more years to Serong, AB, Cerra and Young

Would kill for the club to announce a "4 for 4" signing at the end of the year.

4 more years to Serong, AB, Cerra and Young
make it 5 for 5 and include Sturt imo
don’t think there’s any particularly harsh delistings there, cam would arguably deserve a * as his health issues this year have seemingly prevented him proving himself

Remove this Banner Ad

Back