The AXE vs Adelaide - IN: Bennell, Tomlinson, AVB, ANB. OUT: Hannan, TMac, OMac, Pickett.

About ******* time Nib and AT got a game again. 👍

Good to see Oscar get the arse after that horrific performance.

I would have kept Hannan. ****ed off Jones, Harmes or Brayshaw.

blitznu

Premiership Player
Jan 6, 2013
AFL Club
Melbourne
Surprised about Hannan, has been a quiet the past few weeks but at least he kicks goals when he gets a chance unlike Fritch.
im surprised im still surprised about our changes. OMac has 1 bad game and out. Lever has been mud all year and will get touched up by the Fog. Yeah Hannan has been our best forward at times this year yet gets dropped over about 8 others who have shown nothing since coming in or from the start.

blitznu

Premiership Player
Jan 6, 2013
AFL Club
Melbourne
Structure looks a fair bit better, but Jones, Harmes and Brayshaw need to stop being gifted so many games.
really? i can't wait to see Jones' no look 45m 'bombs' or harmes having no touch whatsoever or Brayshaw 1 way running and looking like he couldn't give a *. what is more Melbourne?

Grimesy87

Cancelled
May 22, 2018
AFL Club
Melbourne
im surprised im still surprised about our changes. OMac has 1 bad game and out. Lever has been mud all year and will get touched up by the Fog. Yeah Hannan has been our best forward at times this year yet gets dropped over about 8 others who have shown nothing since coming in or from the start.
Goody giving blokes who are inside mid more chances than those who aren't

Like the old basketball saying "I'll give you 5 years to prove you can play if you're tall, I'll give you 5 mins to prove you can play if you're not"

Dancing Potato

Premiership Player
Jul 7, 2015
AFL Club
Melbourne
Well that's a bit bizarre. A couple of good changes but a couple of weird ones. OMac had a shocker last week but his inclusion had generally straightened us out down back. So Lever will have to play on Walker or Lynch?

I would be happy to see ANB in if it was at the expense of Jones or another inside mid. The shoehorning continues.

Hannan a bit hard done by too. How do Jones, Gus and Harmes survive the axe but Hannan doesn't?

blitznu

Premiership Player
Jan 6, 2013
AFL Club
Melbourne
Well that's a bit bizarre. A couple of good changes but a couple of weird ones. OMac had a shocker last week but his inclusion had generally straightened us out down back. So Lever will have to play on Walker or Lynch?

I would be happy to see ANB in if it was at the expense of Jones or another inside mid. The shoehorning continues.

Hannan a bit hard done by too. How do Jones, Gus and Harmes survive the axe but Hannan doesn't?
who plays on Fogerty?

Deelighted

Club Legend
Aug 2, 2009
AFL Club
Melbourne
The overstock of players who are best suited as inside mids is reflective of our poor list management as much as dodgy selection. Granted dropping Hannan seems a bit strange since we're lacking natural forwards. Our depth in basically any position outside of inside mid is paper thin though (aside from maybe medium forwards, but half the blokes played there would be better suited as inside mids anyway).

Oct 11, 2018
AFL Club
Melbourne
I would've kept OMac in purely for the reason that Lever can be third man up. When he was at the Crows they always made that happen. They do that now with Doedee. I'm a Lever fan but he doesn't fly for grabs anymore; spoils every time. Like, every single time. He's lacking confidence either in his own ability or in his teammates' abilities to intercept. Doedee goes the grab and looks a better player now. I would've preferred to see TMac take OMac's spot and told to do nothing but lock down a forward.
I'm shocked some of these players have kept their spots. I just hope that AVB, ANB and Bennell (assuming they play forward) stay down and look for the crumbs. So sick of seeing the ball inevitably hit the deck and none of our forwards at the fall of the ball. Fritsch is guilty of going the fly, as is Pickett from what I've seen (timely spell for him really). Really irks me.
I am not looking forward to this game one bit. Massive danger game in front of a genuine away crowd. We have a lot to lose. Luckily we are mentally tough...

I wouldn't be surprised if we brought Tomlinson in to play in the backline, he's a good match up for Lynch in height and athletically as a lead up target.

Oct 11, 2018
AFL Club
Melbourne
I also don't get how we're going to match up against them now in their forward line. Yes, their forward line has looked as impotent as ours but they haven't had Walker or Fogarty playing together for some time. They also brought in McAsey who is obviously raw but still tall and solid. So they have 3 key tall forwards and a roaming tall in Lynch who often plays well v us. We drop a key defender and they bring in taller players. Yet we also drop a key forward and they get to drop a liability key defender in Hartigan. Doesn't add up to me.
Walker v May?
Fogarty v ?
McAsey v Lever?
Lynch v Hibberd?
Let's just hope they can't catch. I guess 3 key tall forwards didn't exactly work for us last week either (although Port had 3 key defenders to neutralise that).

Apr 1, 2018
AFL Club
Tasmania
These selections make little sense.

First, agree with OMac out, but who is taking his place?? Worried about defense being short. (How far away is Hore?)
Tomlinson should be on a wing taking Jones place.
Hannan hard done by, should still be in.
Actually think TMac should have taken OMacs spot, but getting dropped is the next best thing I suppose.
AVB hasn't shown enough this year, shouldn't be back in.
All in all pretty standard strange selections. As others have said, Brayshaw, Jones, and Harmes should not be there on current form.

Imet Hassa

All Australian
Aug 18, 2016
AFL Club
Melbourne
Really think OMac should have stayed in unless they replaced him with another tallish key defender. The backline was supposedly stable and balanced. Better to take out Jones or Brayshaw off the wing for Tomlinson. The ins and outs don’t seem to balance.

TheBoss

Club Legend
Oct 28, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Omac is stiff to miss out, backline has looked better since he came into the side notwithstanding he had a shocker last Thursday.

Pickett and Tmac need a spell. Not fussed with other changes.

mrmonkey

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 3, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
These selections make little sense.

First, agree with OMac out, but who is taking his place?? Worried about defense being short. (How far away is Hore?)
Tomlinson should be on a wing taking Jones place.
Hannan hard done by, should still be in.
Actually think TMac should have taken OMacs spot, but getting dropped is the next best thing I suppose.
AVB hasn't shown enough this year, shouldn't be back in.
All in all pretty standard strange selections. As others have said, Brayshaw, Jones, and Harmes should not be there on current form.
It's pretty sad because our list is in pretty good shape so any changes at the moment just feels like deck chairs atm. There's a lot of best 22 players playing averaged and then players are getting replaced with other average players. Suppose having a healthy list is a good thing, we need our best players go hit form again ans the rest need to follow. Give us something.

Back