Prediction Changes and Pre match discussion vs Carlton round 11

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great week for Liam Ryan to rip a game apart with some creativity if the big boys are struggling in the weather. He's kicked multiple goals on only two occasions this year, yet kicked multiple behinds on three occasions.

Pleasingly he is getting involved in the play, but seems driven to pull off the highest degree of difficulty disposals which has been costing us. I'm hoping someone like JK sits with him this week and breaks down the wet weather game plan. Get the ball in as deep as you can. We will kill it if we can't mark it, and then you go to work with the stoppage goals.

He's overdue for a multiple goal game having not had one since we played Brisbane.
Ryan is a master at hitting the post. Love to see his stats on posters. Everygame i reckon. We need him to get more accurate.

Edwards will get another crack if he passes his head-bump test.(Shep quote)
Cameron is worth playing into form, just for his pressure, he'll click..
Sheed mentioned that Simmo has warned of a cut coming soon (to the midfield?) - too many cooks in the kitchen - so they're playing their asses off making sure it's not them?
Don't understand - Redden comes back in, Brains out? Unless they keep Brains on doing a Masten?
So who else do they cut - NN, Shuey, Yeo, Sheed, TK - NO!
Suggests a structural change coming...like they've been experimenting thus far and are beginning to set the preferred team structure at the halfway point?
Sheed was referring to JK going into the midfield after that roving goal and joked they would have to make midfield cuts. No changes coming.

Sheed was referring to JK going into the midfield after that roving goal and joked they would have to make midfield cuts. No changes coming.

He did say that Simmo mentioned in his presser that changes would be coming. I don't know what presser of Simmos he's referring to. I watch them all and haven't heard that yet, unless Sheed broke down through the jargon.

With Redden back we are playing too many mids. None of them will want to play the sacrificial guardian of space role. The change could be personnel, or it could be role driven, or we might eliminate a role entirely to better utilise our best 22.

Ok, thought he mentioned Simmo - As Chris 6678 also alluded to?
Anyway don't wish to muddy the waters with hearsay...

If Jetta is fit and ready to play, I'd like to see him in the defensive winger/space guarding position instead of Brains. Duggan, Cole and Nelson are holding up their end of the bargain at the minute, so he can't force his way in there.

Where we could utilise him is in the example last weekend where JK takes a mark on the back flank and hits a 50m switch kick to the opposite flank to release Brains. If Jetta gets that sort of space to create, he only needs 5 touches a game to completely wreck an opponent. He also has the tank and repeat sprint ability in his repertoire. He is an offensive weapon that we could plug in a little closer to goal.

I'd be okay with this change and not rushing Redden back too early, despite him being a big body suitable to wet footy. We have enough of those already playing that Redden in shouldn't be the difference between a win and loss.

Going to look silly if Schofield plays on Sunday.

Just listening to his latest Podcast and he doesn't seem annoyed about not playing. Does mention how the team now has a young backline with him and Jetta out the side. To me it sounds exactly that: We are choosing to player our younger players which is the right way to go. A similar situation when we dropped Ellis, Butler and Wellingham in 2016/2017.

They do talk about Waterman switching to the backline after Harry went down. Waterman could be an option to spend time there for this week.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just listening to his latest Podcast and he doesn't seem annoyed about not playing. Does mention how the team now has a young backline with him and Jetta out the side. To me it sounds exactly that: We are choosing to player our younger players which is the right way to go. A similar situation when we dropped Ellis, Butler and Wellingham in 2016/2017.

They do talk about Waterman switching to the backline after Harry went down. Waterman could be an option to spend time there for this week.

While I agree with this sentiment for the most part, the problem with keeping Jetta out of this team is the fact we’re hamstringing ourselves massively in our offensive capabilities. For all his supposed lack of defensive ability, Jetta absolutely tore teams apart with his kicking last season, and that, to me, is something we shouldn’t let go. We’e playing Cole, Nelson and Duggan together for their defensive capacity, rather than their ability to damage the opposition on the rebound.

It seems to me that Simmo is thinking Jetta either plays in the backline, or not at all, meaning we have to drop one of the aforementioned trio to fit him in. However, we can easily fit all four in by just changing Jetta’s position.

Schoey had a weird comment before they dived into a review on the Cats game, saying he wanted Oscars thoughts as a player, as he doesn't really consider himself a player at the moment/any more. I wondered if that was as simple as him joking he was not in the B22 (an issue he doesn't shy away from) or if it meant a little more.

I don't think he'll travel into another hub. And if my suspicion that Jetta struggled in the hub are true, then he won't go either. Those boys best chance to break into the side is when we have a condensed fixture, but that also happens to be when we leave Perth. So Haggers assumption might just be a bit of process of elimination logic, as opposed to a coaching/match committee statement deeming those two won't be selected.

If Jetta is fit and ready to play, I'd like to see him in the defensive winger/space guarding position instead of Brains. Duggan, Cole and Nelson are holding up their end of the bargain at the minute, so he can't force his way in there.

Where we could utilise him is in the example last weekend where JK takes a mark on the back flank and hits a 50m switch kick to the opposite flank to release Brains. If Jetta gets that sort of space to create, he only needs 5 touches a game to completely wreck an opponent. He also has the tank and repeat sprint ability in his repertoire. He is an offensive weapon that we could plug in a little closer to goal.

I'd be okay with this change and not rushing Redden back too early, despite him being a big body suitable to wet footy. We have enough of those already playing that Redden in shouldn't be the difference between a win and loss.
I don’t think he would have the endurance running capability for this role. Seems to me more of a ‘burst’ player than a gut runner.

While I agree with this sentiment for the most part, the problem with keeping Jetta out of this team is the fact we’re hamstringing ourselves massively in our offensive capabilities. For all his supposed lack of defensive ability, Jetta absolutely tore teams apart with his kicking last season, and that, to me, is something we shouldn’t let go. We’e playing Cole, Nelson and Duggan together for their defensive capacity, rather than their ability to damage the opposition on the rebound.

It seems to me that Simmo is thinking Jetta either plays in the backline, or not at all, meaning we have to drop one of the aforementioned trio to fit him in. However, we can easily fit all four in by just changing Jetta’s position.

I agree in part but the problem with Jetta is he was hardly doing that in the games he played this year. When he isn't doing that he can be a liability in that he isn't chasing and tackling like he used to.

We've been using Duggan a lot for defensive rebound (hence his higher possession numbers) and it has been working great so far. Jetta was out of form and was dropped, the defence has been good in his absence so there has been no opportunity to come back in. Surprisingly, I can't say I've missed him.

Our higher pressing defense may also have reduced the need for the long precision kicks, as I've noticed Hurn doesn't appear to be playing a rebounding role anymore (hence his shorter kicks and more focus on locking down opponents). Maybe that is also keeping Jetta out?

If McGovern can’t play, I think Brander is the best option for CHB . He has the height, the marking ability, the kicking ability.
If Schofield is finished, then there is an opening for a KPD under study when either of the two key position players are unavailable which seems quite often this year. There is a logjam in the fwd line but not in the backline where there are not many options. I don’t know much about Edwards, have seen very little of him. I hope he makes it. I do know this is not his first concussion. Perhaps he is not ready yet. Brander was a much higher draft pick, I know that doesn’t mean everything, but it does indicate how his class was perceived in his draft year. He was picked ahead of Oscar, he must have something.
Surely this is the best position for him at this time.

Rotham and Waterman are too small as key position players.

Weather looks hurrendous. Wind and rain as the cold front hits. Hope you guys have undercover seats.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back