Not open for further replies.

Luuuc

Premiership Player
Jun 26, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Wildcats, Perth Lynx
Schoey had a weird comment before they dived into a review on the Cats game, saying he wanted Oscars thoughts as a player, as he doesn't really consider himself a player at the moment/any more. I wondered if that was as simple as him joking he was not in the B22 (an issue he doesn't shy away from) or if it meant a little more.
He was talking about getting a player's perspective on the Cats game and light-heartedly deferred to OA for it since OA actually played in the game. That's how I interpreted it anyway.

DanWCE

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 2, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
He was talking about getting a player's perspective on the Cats game and light-heartedly deferred to OA for it since OA actually played in the game. That's how I interpreted it anyway.

I may be reading into it, but his delivery and the comment struck me as odd. If he can't crack a game at home with no Gov playing, the writing is probably on the wall.

jesterwester

Premiership Player
May 1, 2007
Australind
AFL Club
West Coast
Will have to watch the start. That 20 mins of footy against the hawks to start was just about as good as I’ve seen from anyone this year. Strong at the ball, quick, and just looked like scoring every entry. They just stopped and it was one of the most bizarre turnarounds I’ve seen in a while.

Liking our resilience to be able to claw back on leads, but I’d prefer us to not have to. Carlton will put it together soon enough and I’d prefer this week to not be it.

Mindset has to be the key. One thing I appreciated from the Geelong game was our ability to put the game back to the cats without having to resort to our chip game. We applied the screws with our pressure being top level. Bodes well for this week if the game will be wet.

If Gov isn’t 100%, don’t risk it. Who knows what the fixture will look like post round 12. Hopefully Edwards is ok, I’d like another look at him as he didn’t seem overawed in his first game.

For mine, assuming Gov & redden are fit, and we decide to manage Edwards through that heavy knock.

In: Gov, Redden
Out: Edwards (concussion), Ainsworth

If neither are available, then XON & Rotham as the ins. Maybe even Brander if we want someone to play a running role.

Nice position to be in right now with our mids. Ainsworth didn’t have a great game, but I think now he is much closer to making it than a year ago, even if the jury is still very much out on him. He looks a tidier footballer than his last run.

MrWoollie

Club Legend
Jul 28, 2008
England
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Lincoln City Imps, West Perth
I think it's a good thing that we are bringing on young guys like Rotham and Edwards, both of whom look very composed for their experience level. With Brander another tall back option (he is solid in the air and is pretty mobile. Actually looks more like a back than a forward to be honest) Schofield is realistically behind the resurgent Cole and Barrass as well as Gov, Rotham, Edwards and possibly Brander.
I love his team ethic but I hope we don't have to reach that deep into the reserve bucket this year.

Has Jetta even been playing scratch matches? Not on the injury list and never even an emergency lately, so I've fallen into the 'something else is going on' camp. It's actually a shame Watson got a bad injury. I was thinking he was a role for role Jetta option.

Luuuc

Premiership Player
Jun 26, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Wildcats, Perth Lynx
Probably time for a ban I think. Repetitive and not remotely amusing.

CM9000

BigFooty Optimist
Aug 19, 2016
Perth, WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
East Fremantle
I agree in part but the problem with Jetta is he was hardly doing that in the games he played this year. When he isn't doing that he can be a liability in that he isn't chasing and tackling like he used to.

You could say the same thing about JK though, if he was dropped while we were in the hub and hadn’t come back in then. A lot of our players weren’t playing well during that period.

Jetta hasn’t come in since we got back from the hub - we haven’t seen him in a match on WA soil yet.

We've been using Duggan a lot for defensive rebound (hence his higher possession numbers) and it has been working great so far. Jetta was out of form and was dropped, the defence has been good in his absence so there has been no opportunity to come back in. Surprisingly, I can't say I've missed him.

Our higher pressing defense may also have reduced the need for the long precision kicks, as I've noticed Hurn doesn't appear to be playing a rebounding role anymore (hence his shorter kicks and more focus on locking down opponents). Maybe that is also keeping Jetta out?

I wouldn’t say Duggan’s kicking has been as penetrating or damaging as Jetta’s, but it certainly has improved. Nevertheless, I think Jetta still offers more as an offensive weapon compared to Dugg.

Our change in defensive strategy has certainly contributed to Jetta’s absence - the thing I find confusing, however, is he fact he isn’t being played in a different position. It’s not like Jetta is restricted to defence only, he can be deployed in a different area of the ground.

Capriati

Club Legend
Aug 25, 2019
Melbourne
AFL Club
West Coast
"Liam Ryan is in doubt for West Coast's clash against Carlton at Optus Stadium on Sunday with a hamstring issue.

The West Australian understands the high-flying premiership forward went for scans today, casting doubt on his availability to take on the Blues.

Ryan, who has kicked 11 goals in nine game this season, hasn’t missed a game since round 19, 2018, tallying 40 consecutive appearances.

The only current Eagles to have played more in a row are Tim Kelly (57) and Jack Darling (43).

If the 23-year-old, who showed no signs of discomfort on the training track at Mineral Resources Park this morning, is ruled out, it could open the door for mature-aged rookie Nic Reid to make his AFL debut."

Bugger. Would be a bad game for Ryan to miss, given it’ll be a game for skillful small forwards and we don’t exactly have any waiting in reserve. But on the other hand, we don’t want to be ******* around with hammies.

Hope the MC doesn’t just bring in Redden and chuck Ainsworth back into the forward line, that doesn’t work. But the only small forward options available are Reid and Treacy. Might see another debut.

Capriati

Club Legend
Aug 25, 2019
Melbourne
AFL Club
West Coast
Feels like this game has gone from being a possible percentage booster to being a bit of a danger game.

- up to 45ml of rain
- Gov/Ryan in doubt

Good news is outside of Cripps Carlton has a weak midfield and like us have a tall forward line. I hope the result is similar to the Freo game in the rain last year.

A left-field option if Ryan is missing could be Hutchings to play a forward role. His conditioning probably not up to scratch, but he's played a similar sort of pressure role before. Always a chance for a sneaky goal.

Could use him to tag Docherty, as he did with Saad last year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back