Opinion Commentary & Media IV

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fight, fight, fight... Catfight:

=====

Essendon legend Tim Watson has hit back at Damian Barrett, labelling the veteran AFL reporter as “The Voice of Treason” and saying he’s “compromised like everybody else”.

AFL Media reporter Barrett on Tuesday said the league made the right call in temporarily standing down colleague Mitch Cleary after he posted Brooke Cotchin’s Instagram post — which saw Richmond handed a $45,000 fine for COVID-19 protocol breaches — on his personal Twitter account. Barrett also took aim at Watson, who suggested Barrett should’ve stood by Cleary and spoken out in support of Cleary.

“Tim Watson gives a lot of advice to a lot of people. He gave a lot of advice to Essendon Football Club people during the drugs saga — and how did that work? So what would he know about what journalists should do in that situation?” Barrett asked on The Sounding Board. “He’s read the news, yeah … I wouldn’t take the advice of Tim Watson if that’s what you’re asking.” In the same podcast, Barrett also argued it was wrong to question AFL Media’s independence from the league it covers, adding “there is no independent media organisation”.

Speaking on his SEN Breakfast program on Wednesday morning, Watson said he didn’t “want to get in one of those spats and end up being the clickbait”, but added used to listen to The Sounding Board “religiously” but “couldn’t listen anymore”. “I just have this to say about ‘The Voice of Treason’ – and that’s who he’ll be known as henceforth. This ‘holier than thou’ attitude towards journalism, but is inconsistent in the true values of journalism, This is how I see it: He holds biases, he holds petty grudges, he loses his balance – which is a fundamental plank, I think, of journalism. I know he thinks I know nothing about it, but I think it is what journalism is all about,” Watson told SEN Breakfast.

"Now what this episode has taught me and informed me – and I think everybody else out there that didn’t already know – is that he is beholden to the AFL. If you work at the AFL, fair enough. We all we all need a paycheck … but don’t do a podcast lecturing everyone on the principal pursuit of being a journalist if you’re compromise like everybody else. And he’s compromised like everybody else. We know that he’s beholden to the AFL.”

Watson said you could Barrett’s glasses “in the dishwasher, but they’re very easily broken and very fragile – ‘The Voice of Treason’s’ jaw, I think, is made from the same glass. Don’t pretend that you’re the one shining light of independence out there in the marketplace because you’re not,” he said. “Clearly you work for the AFL and therefore you have to hold a view that is complimentary to the way that they think.”

Radio colleague Garry Lyon said it sounded like Barrett was “frustrated” when he made the comments about Watson, adding it wasn’t his “finest moment”.

=====

Essendon legend Tim Watson has hit back at Damian Barrett, labelling the veteran AFL reporter as “The Voice of Treason” and saying he’s “compromised like everybody else”.

AFL Media reporter Barrett on Tuesday said the league made the right call in temporarily standing down colleague Mitch Cleary after he posted Brooke Cotchin’s Instagram post — which saw Richmond handed a $45,000 fine for COVID-19 protocol breaches — on his personal Twitter account. Barrett also took aim at Watson, who suggested Barrett should’ve stood by Cleary and spoken out in support of Cleary.

“Tim Watson gives a lot of advice to a lot of people. He gave a lot of advice to Essendon Football Club people during the drugs saga — and how did that work? So what would he know about what journalists should do in that situation?” Barrett asked on The Sounding Board. “He’s read the news, yeah … I wouldn’t take the advice of Tim Watson if that’s what you’re asking.” In the same podcast, Barrett also argued it was wrong to question AFL Media’s independence from the league it covers, adding “there is no independent media organisation”.

Speaking on his SEN Breakfast program on Wednesday morning, Watson said he didn’t “want to get in one of those spats and end up being the clickbait”, but added used to listen to The Sounding Board “religiously” but “couldn’t listen anymore”. “I just have this to say about ‘The Voice of Treason’ – and that’s who he’ll be known as henceforth. This ‘holier than thou’ attitude towards journalism, but is inconsistent in the true values of journalism, This is how I see it: He holds biases, he holds petty grudges, he loses his balance – which is a fundamental plank, I think, of journalism. I know he thinks I know nothing about it, but I think it is what journalism is all about,” Watson told SEN Breakfast.

"Now what this episode has taught me and informed me – and I think everybody else out there that didn’t already know – is that he is beholden to the AFL. If you work at the AFL, fair enough. We all we all need a paycheck … but don’t do a podcast lecturing everyone on the principal pursuit of being a journalist if you’re compromise like everybody else. And he’s compromised like everybody else. We know that he’s beholden to the AFL.”

Watson said you could Barrett’s glasses “in the dishwasher, but they’re very easily broken and very fragile – ‘The Voice of Treason’s’ jaw, I think, is made from the same glass. Don’t pretend that you’re the one shining light of independence out there in the marketplace because you’re not,” he said. “Clearly you work for the AFL and therefore you have to hold a view that is complimentary to the way that they think.”

Radio colleague Garry Lyon said it sounded like Barrett was “frustrated” when he made the comments about Watson, adding it wasn’t his “finest moment”.

1596599173986.png

=====

So Damian Barrett, on a podcast produced by Crocmedia, criticises Tim Watson, who responds on his radio show on SEN, owned by Crocmedia.

Well played, Hutchy, you magnificent fat bastard.

15th - Quarters won
17th - time in front
18th - defense
16th - Goal kicking accuracy
16th - Points for
16th - Points against
17th - scoring from stoppages
14th - scoring from turnovers
1st - games lost to injury by best 22
15th - Players used (32)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

15th - Quarters won
17th - time in front
18th - defense
16th - Goal kicking accuracy
16th - Points for
16th - Points against
17th - scoring from stoppages
14th - scoring from turnovers
1st - games lost to injury by best 22
15th - Players used (32)

So.....not great.

I think it’s time in the evolution of football television broadcasting to have the option to turn commentary off and just have crowd noise.

Watching games in silence is strange
The sad part about this is we did have the option to mute commentary and just listen to crowd noise like 13 years ago.

A decade ago, North Melbourne would've been playing permanently on the Gold Coast. This is part one of a four-part series on how the Kangaroos were saved and kept in Arden Street.
Let us know what you think!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back