Who would you feel most comfortable with letting go in exchange for the missing pieces in pursuit of 17?

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 30, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Casboult would be one I wouldn't want to trade to be honest but if you look at his output, he would be worth a frist rounder or a gun player from a team that was contending. Kruezer not so much sadly
In what crazy world does someone trade a first round pick for 30 year old, unrestricted free agent Levi Casboult.

They don’t need to trade for him. He can just go to whoever offers him a deal. That’s how unrestricted free agency works.

We would get a compensation pick if he left, probably a pretty insignificant one because he’s 30 and not going to be on. crazy money.

Even if a club was trading for him (ie he wasn’t a free agent) no ones paying a 1st for Levi. Love the big lug but if he’s worth a first then I hate to see what GWS would ask for Kelly or what we’d ask if someone enquires about Cripps. 10 firsts maybe?

Kreuzer is exactly the same as Levi but older and more injury prone.

RAPPA

Brownlow Medallist
Feb 20, 2008
Victoria
AFL Club
Carlton
Interesting question. Some of those players are very crucial to our current structure but wouldn’t fetch the same value via a trade.

I’d say SPS is a player that opposition clubs have seen his very best (the Dogs game last year), are aware of his pitfalls and would bank on being able to extract the very best out of him. He’s one, if traded, will either end up as a very run of the mill player or a gun.

Brackets

Cancelled
Nov 7, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
SPS, Dow, Macreadie, Jones, McGovern, Jack, Stocker, Gibbons.

Not against trading players for ready to go replacements if they are a better fit for the team.

SammaGilberto

Premiership Player
Suspended
May 2, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Baghdad Bombers
My untouchables would be Weiters/Cripps/Walsh/McKay

CC borderline untouchable, would take something mighty to be happy with him being given up.

slashin_velvet

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 5, 2011
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Dallas Cowboys, STL Blues
Honestly, I know this will get hate but if we got good compensation for cripps i would be happy to let him go. He is just 3 year outside the age bracket of our youth which isnt a lot but he isnt in it really. If we got someone like Oscar Allen and two firsts i would be happy to do it, knowing that one of the firsts is a top 10. Ik this will get hate but one player doesnt make a team. Allen and 2 first rounders makes us a better overall team. Dont see it happening but wont be annoyed if something like that did happen. As much as i love cripps i want premiership success and adding 3 real good players is better than one top 5 player
It's has to be comparable to the Judd situation. You wouldn't put Cripps on the table, but if he wanted to leave to go back west, you'd have to look at it.

Kennedy, pick 3 & pick 20 is the barometer for a deal.

Allen originally from WA right? So not sure if he'd want to come over to Victoria.

Petrucelle would be on my ask list, but not sure they would have the chips to get the rest of the deal done after selling the farm for Tim Kelly

Aug 22, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
It's has to be comparable to the Judd situation. You wouldn't put Cripps on the table, but if he wanted to leave to go back west, you'd have to look at it.

Kennedy, pick 3 & pick 20 is the barometer for a deal.

Allen originally from WA right? So not sure if he'd want to come over to Victoria.

Petrucelle would be on my ask list, but not sure they would have the chips to get the rest of the deal done after selling the farm for Tim Kelly

Pettrucelle is steak knives and nothing more.

The one I'd be asking for, with little expectation of him wanting out of WA, is Tom Barrass. Direct replacement for Jones, very good key defender to pair with Weiters, only 24yo. We'd absolutely need a mid coming back as well, cause WC don't have the picks we'd need. Yeo or Sheed are the ones that appeal on age and profile, but both are also WA lads. Finish it off with Petch and that'll do.

Cripps for Sheed, Barrass and Pettrucelle, chuck Fisher in for them as well given he's mates with Cripps and would probably end up wanting out soon enough if we traded the skipper.

This is all hypothetical, of course. I don't think Carlton trade Cripps, I don't think WC trade Barrass or Sheed. Just an exercise in the types of names would have to be on the table.

slashin_velvet

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 5, 2011
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Dallas Cowboys, STL Blues
Pettrucelle is steak knives and nothing more.

The one I'd be asking for, with little expectation of him wanting out of WA, is Tom Barrass. Direct replacement for Jones, very good key defender to pair with Weiters, only 24yo. We'd absolutely need a mid coming back as well, cause WC don't have the picks we'd need. Yeo or Sheed are the ones that appeal on age and profile, but both are also WA lads. Finish it off with Petch and that'll do.

Cripps for Sheed, Barrass and Pettrucelle, chuck Fisher in for them as well given he's mates with Cripps and would probably end up wanting out soon enough if we traded the skipper.

This is all hypothetical, of course. I don't think Carlton trade Cripps, I don't think WC trade Barrass or Sheed. Just an exercise in the types of names would have to be on the table.
Petrucelle is the Pick 20 in the deal. Agree Barass would be the Kennedy-esq player we'd want, but I didn't mention any players from WA. Really struggle to see how a deal with WC gets done. I'd suggest if Cripps wanted to go West, he'd wanna like the colour purple.

Speaking of Freo, I'd be looking at Cerra for SPS as a deal both teams could benefit from. Both players signed to 2021, both players picked around the same level in their draft, both players have been pretty consistent from an injury perspective, both players from the opposite side of the country.

Kenny_Hunter

Draftee
Aug 5, 2020
AFL Club
Carlton
Intriguing post, I like it.

On the premise of "Who would you be ok with losing from the above if it got us the pieces required to bag 17?" the answer is "Anyone". The thing is, we don't know when or if that flag comes, so it's a gamble.

For mine:

Not open to trading any of the forwards. Curnow and McKay have huge ceilings, Casboult is versatile enough to cover 3 positions, is in solid form, and costs us bugger all - would also not get us enough compo to justify the loss, TDK is part of the future (either ruck or forward, or both). McGovern is the one, if you held a gun to my head, but I don't like it. Outside of Eddie he's our smartest forward. That tap down to Gibbons, , the knock on to Betts, the little bumps and blocks, without him we're back to being a bunch of dumb lugs getting in each others way.

It probably all comes down to who we're getting back though - 25yo and under and it becomes more appealing than chasing a 27yo prematurely. I'd be open to losing Cunners if it secured Papley. I'd be open to losing Kennedy if it got us Wines.
Blueballs makes the most sense on this thread. Absolutely agree that McGovern gives us something extra. Good ball user and clever. Eddie, Mitch and Cunners our cleverest forwards but Cunners for papley sounds good as the Kennedy/Wines trade 😁Crippa untouchable

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nov 8, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Blueballs makes the most sense on this thread. Absolutely agree that McGovern gives us something extra. Good ball user and clever. Eddie, Mitch and Cunners our cleverest forwards but Cunners for papley sounds good as the Kennedy/Wines trade 😁Crippa untouchable
unPopular opinion but I think we would be better off trading mcgovern for a small forward

Broadside

Premiership Player
Jul 15, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Carlton
if all parties were happy and we could get a reasonable deal - SPS

for whatever reason he isn't the player he could be/should be at Carlton

Speaking of Freo, I'd be looking at Cerra for SPS as a deal both teams could benefit from. Both players signed to 2021, both players picked around the same level in their draft, both players have been pretty consistent from an injury perspective, both players from the opposite side of the country.

this

Opine

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 30, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
MM, MK, EC, LC; no one else. Fixating on someone else as "the missing piece of the puzzle" is an overrated and outdated concept; we've been there and done that. We've got a strategy; stick to that, and progress it. Use salary cap space to price out competitors; and trade picks where appropriate.

Nov 8, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Interesting question. Some of those players are very crucial to our current structure but wouldn’t fetch the same value via a trade.

I’d say SPS is a player that opposition clubs have seen his very best (the Dogs game last year), are aware of his pitfalls and would bank on being able to extract the very best out of him. He’s one, if traded, will either end up as a very run of the mill player or a gun.
SPS will be a gun Im almost sure of it.

Has the skills and vision...perhaps is deficient in hardness and defence.

I see 2020 or however long teague has him there in defence as a temporary apprenticeship.

Be great if he becomes a dangerous mid with decent aerial ability and 2-way running.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back