Autopsy North v Cats

Remove this Banner Ad

we had only 1 more player that has played less than 100 games.

I'm not quite getting this "lol old Geelong" vibe either.

We had 10 players with 100+ games experience. They had 11.

We had 12 players with < 100 games experience. They had 11.

The splits were almost identical. We had injuries. They had injuries and missing players.

They've also drafted behind us in every draft round for years.

Let's deal with reality. They've had no recruiting advantages over us in recent years and aren't hitting any bigger cliff than us no matter what people want to tell themselves.

Yet they're contenders pretty much every year and we're not. I don't like it one bit but that's the fact.

Hmmmm. Interesting. I haven’t watched the presser yet. I wonder exactly what he meant by that? Was it regarding this season or about figuring a few things out about our players?
They asked if he viewed this game as a step forward or not. He said yes, it's a step forward.

Also:

Our gameplan is not to kick it long down the line. We want to use the corridor and the 45's more but without actually being at the game it's impossible to tell why that isn't working for us. Could be simply a case of players not working hard enough to get into space, unwilling to take risks etc.
I do know however, and this is straight from scampers mouth, that a lot of the players will go back into their shells when things start going wrong (which is obvious to everyone) and revert back to boring straight down the line, kick it to a 50/50 contest. But at least it is absolutely something the coaches are aware of.

That's good to know!

Also:

Our gameplan is not to kick it long down the line. We want to use the corridor and the 45's more but without actually being at the game it's impossible to tell why that isn't working for us. Could be simply a case of players not working hard enough to get into space, unwilling to take risks etc.
I do know however, and this is straight from scampers mouth, that a lot of the players will go back into their shells when things start going wrong (which is obvious to everyone) and revert back to boring straight down the line, kick it to a 50/50 contest. But at least it is absolutely something the coaches are aware of.
From the ground; no one working the angles between the zone the Cats setup. And on the odd occasion there was, no one with the confidence to take the kick.

Overall, we were outpaced, out muscled and out worked!

On SM-G965F using BigFooty.com mobile app

I remember Gryan Meirs looking a pretty dynamic prospect in his draft year.

Why have we been allergic to even punting just once on one of these high energy smalls in the last 10 years?

Not once have we gone with the undersized kid who's kicking bags in the juniors or state league. Wilkinson was the nearest equivalent and he was a mature aged former TAC cupper playing in Qld (surprise surprise) who played as an undersized marking players. It's weird.

Every year bar Simpkin - "we'll have another 187cm undetermined best positioner thanks".

The splits were almost identical. We had injuries. They had injuries and missing players.

Let's deal with reality. They've had no recruiting advantages over us in recent years and aren't hitting any bigger cliff than us no matter what people want to tell themselves.

Yet they're contenders pretty much every year and we're not. I don't like it one bit but that's the fact.
Maybe "games played" is a stupid metric to make a judgement on.

Maybe they've just been better coached for the last 15 years.

It was strange when Shaw said after the game that it was a step forward
Well it sort of was. Last time we played a top 8 team we kicked 2 goals and couldn’t move the ball for s**t. This time, though there were echoes of that especially in the 2nd, we kicked bang on the average score that a good Geelong defence has been conceding this year without Brown or Larkey. There were a couple of stretches where we got it on our terms and looked dangerous. Never dangerous enough to actually win, obviously, but it was a better offensive showing than the dogs or Richmond games.

Despite the heroic efforts of a couple, giving them 27 shots from 48 entries is dire, and the backline is more severely in need of a rebuild than the forwards or mids.

Why have we been allergic to even punting just once on one of these high energy smalls in the last 10 years?

Not once have we gone with the undersized kid who's kicking bags in the juniors or state league. Wilkinson was the nearest equivalent and he was a mature aged former TAC cupper playing in Qld (surprise surprise) who played as an undersized marking players. It's weird.

Every year bar Simpkin - "we'll have another 187cm undetermined best positioner thanks".

Harper?

Harper was a worthy punt I'd have made too (RIP Kieran's career :( ) but is a bigger slightly different player type.

I mean the high energy, agile, pesty player who pounces on loose balls and creates havoc forcing an opponent to watch them. Every year there's some underager or under 20 type wreaking havoc in a state league (note: mature age NEAFL candidates need not apply).

Every club seems to have at least one of these little pricks prowling around except for us.

because we gifted so many bloody games to LT.

Dude you've been riled by someone to rekindle your despise of someone who hasn't been on our list for years now.

You've been played.

You should let it go, again.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Commentators not saying nice things about my struggling team has my emotions triggering - nah not really.

Become a contender and win often! then commentators wont bother people as much. Until then its expected.
The bloke could play, had some lapses in form, but he was dynamic, probably got gifted a few games, but not to the extent of some current players that for sure.

I don't get riled on here but I do get riled watching us play.

You get riled about LT.

And in the past 18 hours since the game I reckon you've posted more about him than you have for a year.

You seem pretty realistic about our strengths and weaknesses respective to other teams over the journey.

Which makes your disdain for Lindsay odd imo. He was one of our most damaging players, just don't get why you singled him out when we've had plenty of other far worthier punching bags.

But I mean... They factually are old.

9 Players on their list are over 30. We have 3.

Edit: to add to that their average age played this year in their games is 27 years 1 month. They have only been younger than another team once and that was against Hawthorn who are right on the precipice...

Geelong are where we were a few years ago under Scotts.

Last edited:
You seem pretty realistic about our strengths and weaknesses respective to other teams over the journey.

Which makes your disdain for Lindsay odd imo. He was one of our most damaging players, just don't get why you singled him out when we've had plenty of other far worthier punching bags.
because on here he was treated completely opposite to other players. I've said it many times. LT would do 3 good things and 10 bad things and everyone would say he was dynamic because he kicked 3. But they ignored the 5 missed tackles, 3 OTF and 2 stupid attempts at marks. While guys like Jmac and Gibbo can do 20 good things and 2 bad things and everyone wanted their heads on a platter. There were games he got votes on here despite me listing the 10 things he did very badly.

Thomas wasn't that good. He had a hand full of good games but he kicked cheap goals and took credit for others good work. The love for such an average players was sickening while other players busting a gut got ridiculed. You know what did rile me up, people saying he bleed Blue and White. What crock, he loved going back to Port Adelaide.

They've been "up" since 2004. I think they've had 2 bad seasons (by their standards) in that time. '06 and '15. I'm sure they'll find a way to keep contending.

because on here he was treated completely opposite to other players. I've said it many times. LT would do 3 good things and 10 bad things and everyone would say he was dynamic because he kicked 3. But they ignored the 5 missed tackles, 3 OTF and 2 stupid attempts at marks. While guys like Jmac and Gibbo can do 20 good things and 2 bad things and everyone wanted their heads on a platter. There were games he got votes on here despite me listing the 10 things he did very badly.

Thomas wasn't that good. He had a hand full of good games but he kicked cheap goals and took credit for others good work. The love for such an average players was sickening while other players busting a gut got ridiculed. You know what did rile me up, people saying he bleed Blue and White. What crock, he loved going back to Port Adelaide.

Disappointed if the last bit is accurate.

You know mate, right now I wish we had a bloke kicking so many cheap goals. He kicked 329 career goals. All of our other small forwards in the last 10 years combined wouldn't match that.

Will agree to disagree. He did some dumb things but he still generated a lot of opportunities.

And what did he exactly do at Port Adelaide?

He bled blue and white clearly, go have a look at the 2014 and 2015 finals.

Harper was a worthy punt I'd have made too (RIP Kieran's career :( ) but is a bigger slightly different player type.

I mean the high energy, agile, pesty player who pounces on loose balls and creates havoc forcing an opponent to watch them. Every year there's some underager or under 20 type wreaking havoc in a state league (note: mature age NEAFL candidates need not apply).

Every club seems to have at least one of these little pricks prowling around except for us.
I can remember when B. Harvey started (in his thinner days) when he had 2 possessions for the game or thereabouts. Interestingly in his first full season he tackled every game he played in. Once.

But I mean... They factually are old.

9 Players on their list are over 30. We have 3.

Edit: to add to that their average age played this year in their games is 27 years 1 month. They have only been younger than another team once and that was against Hawthorn who are right on the precipice...

Geelong are where we were a few years ago under Scotts.

These are the 9 in question.

NoNameGamesAgeDate of BirthHeightWeightOriginPosition
4​
Ablett, Gary
352​
36yr 2mth14 May 1984
182cm​
87kg​
Geelong FalconsForward
7​
Taylor, Harry
270​
34yr 1mth12 Jun 1986
195cm​
94kg​
East FremantleDefender
14​
Selwood, Joel
303​
32yr 2mth26 May 1988
183cm​
84kg​
BendigoMidfield
26​
Hawkins, Tom
266​
32yr21 Jul 1988
198cm​
103kg​
Melbourne GrammarForward
11​
Jenkins, Josh
147​
31yr 5mth8 Feb 1989
200cm​
108kg​
FrankstonForward
2​
Tuohy, Zach
196​
30yr 7mth10 Dec 1989
187cm​
93kg​
County Laois, IrelandDefender
25​
Henderson, Lachlan R
174​
30yr 7mth14 Dec 1989
196cm​
98kg​
Geelong FalconsDefender
9​
Steven, Jack
188​
30yr 4mth28 Mar 1990
180cm​
83kg​
Geelong FalconsMidfield
Forward
35​
Dangerfield, Patrick
258​
30yr 4mth5 Apr 1990
189cm​
92kg​
Geelong FalconsMidfield

Bar Jenkins, all of them would get a game at North.

Plus they have depth from under and a strong draft hand.

So yes, it's factually correct they have multiple players over 30. But so what?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back