Review Dees v West Horsham Crows - the Good, Bad & Ever-So-Dee-ish

ABray10

All Australian
Aug 30, 2017
AFL Club
Melbourne
Was surprised to see Sparrow starting at the centre clearance for the game and playing plenty of the first half in there. No surprise Brayshaw did nothing in the first half again, then to Goody's no doubt complete surprise he turned it around with a strong second half after getting a run on ball.

If Oliver and Viney can be useful, or at least not liabilities in the forward line and we know Trac is damaging down there then I would like to see more mid rotations to give all of Brayshaw, Oliver, Viney and Petracca decent centre minutes. Maybe all 4 of them can work together.

One thing that pisses me off with the VandenBerg situation is the free is overruled because he pushes an Adelaide player, fine. But then half the crows side run over to him and start pushing him around for giving the free away. Why didn't he get it back after that? What is the acceptable amount of niggle players can get away with off the ball?

Sep 16, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
Melbourne
One thing that pisses me off with the VandenBerg situation is the free is overruled because he pushes an Adelaide player, fine. But then half the crows side run over to him and start pushing him around for giving the free away. Why didn't he get it back after that? What is the acceptable amount of niggle players can get away with off the ball?
I thought the same thing in relation to players grabbing each other and pulling them away, not sure how it is any different as it is technically a free kick for holding. Having said that it was just dumb and unnecessary (makes me think of when the WCE w***er tried it on Maxy after he had Liam Ryan jump on his head). I'd much rather see guys be smart about it and just mouth off, though that is assuming they have the capacity to be clever!

On a somewhat related topic. My highlight from last night was watching Steven May go out of his way to stand up for a teammate. He has just the sort of mongrel that we have lacked for.... well forever....

I thought the same thing in relation to players grabbing each other and pulling them away, not sure how it is any different as it is technically a free kick for holding. Having said that it was just dumb and unnecessary (makes me think of when the WCE w***er tried it on Maxy after he had Liam Ryan jump on his head). I'd much rather see guys be smart about it and just mouth off, though that is assuming they have the capacity to be clever!

On a somewhat related topic. My highlight from last night was watching Steven May go out of his way to stand up for a teammate. He has just the sort of mongrel that we have lacked for.... well forever....

That did amuse me, May had this disgusted look on his face, like he was questioning Crocker if he was all there, asking him if he's was *ed

Made me laugh.

Sep 16, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
Melbourne
That did amuse me, May had this disgusted look on his face, like he was questioning Crocker if he was all there, asking him if he's was ******ed

Made me laugh.
He was probably asking the same question that I was screaming at the TV... Who the f*** are you and would you just f*** off. Seedsman was in the same category when he got a free kick and was mouthing off before he even kicked the goal. Seriously lads you're 0-10, just concentrate on getting a kick.

He was probably asking the same question that I was screaming at the TV... Who the f*** are you and would you just f*** off. Seedsman was in the same category when he got a free kick and was mouthing off before he even kicked the goal. Seriously lads you're 0-10, just concentrate on getting a kick.

Seedsman sledge before kicking the goal cracked me up actually, I like Seeds.

Crocker is just a *******. Got heaps of tough stickers to help him try and intimidate the smallest bloke he can possibly find.

Crusty Demon

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 20, 2009
Brighton
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
Win we needed to have. It took 3 quarters to shake them, but let's hope we can carry that last quarter into next round against another team below us. Made that % back in one game. So that's a nice positive.

Good

Weid - I love what this bloke has done since coming back. He's crashing packs, kicking goals, getting up the ground when needed and constantly taking 2 defenders to ground in a contest which gives our smalls a chance. Melksham got one in the last with this exact action.

Oliver - Anyone suggesting this guy get traded can hopefully now f#ck off! He's still young and finds the footy like no one I've seen at Melbourne in my lifetime. Just needs to get on his bike more and get away from the contest which he did perfectly last night.

May - his opponents have minimal impact on a game every week. He's been underrated this year.

Viney - Has been great this year. He's kicking goals too. That snap with his right in the last was a gem.

Petracca - If he gets the ball, we score. Doesn't need to dominate to have an impact. That kick to Frtta in the last was superb.

Jackson - Developing nicely. Moves really well. His energy and athleticism will worry some rucks/defenders. Showed he has good skills too.

Goodwin - a little bit of credit. Put Brayshaw on the ball in the 2nd half and in the last quarter in particular it paid dividends. Brayshaw must be a part of that mid rotation with Viney, Oliver and Trac.

Bad

ANB - not up to AFL level

Bennell - his skills are sublime but geez he struggles to get to the ball and his opponent. The better teams will exploit this for sure.

Tex - wow, how far has he fallen? How far has the team fallen?

Ugly

Umpiring - At an all time low. Was horribly one sided last night too. Disgraceful.

Commentators - Look, I can't stand Ed, and i don't rate Derwayne as a commentator, but clearly they had an agenda to support the Crows any chance they had. How many times did Ed suggest a free kick was there to Adelaide when clearly there wasn't? Or they would ignore multiple free kicks given to Adelaide that were a complete mystery. Blatant barracking was clearly going on, and i get it to a certain degree that they want to give the team with no wins a chance, but as commentators, you have to be unbiased. And how much does Ed talk about Collingwood. Everytime Weid plays he does it. Seedsman kicks a goal and all of a sudden he's a Collingwood person. Time's up Ed.

Haha, I know. WTF? Just ignore that Adel defender who had him covered.

'OK, Clayton, to take your game to the next level we're going to practice teleporting at training today'

Maybe the club should look into employing Mel Kiper Jnr. to teach teleportation?

Oct 11, 2018
AFL Club
Melbourne
This. This is exactly what I was thinking at the time. Double standards. If the AFL want to create a "free kick: being a d$ckhead" rule/decision to stop players niggling, then it's got to go both ways. Sure it was dumb by Vanders, and I'm not entirely against that free being paid. But what was to stop him flopping like Marc Murphy to try and win back a free? He got plenty of pushes and shoves.
If you want to cut out niggle, then why doesn't the AFL review the footage of Tex's game? The 'hard man' and 'spiritual leader' of that team spent 95% percent of that game bumping people, and the other 5% creating clangers or shirking contests. For those who love Simpsons, he just reminded me of Stampy the elephant head butting the rest of the herd.

Meds

Club Legend
Nov 12, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Good to see the niggle back at the club, 2 players getting reported and some free kicks. Very enjoyable to watch and we play better footy.
This is dumb. There's nothing to be gained from getting reported or giving away free kicks. If we weren't so undisciplined in the first 3 quarters last night we would have won by 100. Cost us shots on goal, momentum, and left the door open for them to stay in the hunt.
Play hard, be aggressive and intimidate your opponent but stop ******* it up for everyone else with your undisciplined bullshit. It's like in basketball when your team plays great defence for 22 seconds and then your teammate bails the opposition out by reaching for a steal. Pisses me right off

Apr 1, 2018
AFL Club
Tasmania
Win we needed to have. It took 3 quarters to shake them, but let's hope we can carry that last quarter into next round against another team below us. Made that % back in one game. So that's a nice positive.

Good

Weid - I love what this bloke has done since coming back. He's crashing packs, kicking goals, getting up the ground when needed and constantly taking 2 defenders to ground in a contest which gives our smalls a chance. Melksham got one in the last with this exact action.

Oliver - Anyone suggesting this guy get traded can hopefully now f#ck off! He's still young and finds the footy like no one I've seen at Melbourne in my lifetime. Just needs to get on his bike more and get away from the contest which he did perfectly last night.

May - his opponents have minimal impact on a game every week. He's been underrated this year.

Viney - Has been great this year. He's kicking goals too. That snap with his right in the last was a gem.

Petracca - If he gets the ball, we score. Doesn't need to dominate to have an impact. That kick to Frtta in the last was superb.

Jackson - Developing nicely. Moves really well. His energy and athleticism will worry some rucks/defenders. Showed he has good skills too.

Goodwin - a little bit of credit. Put Brayshaw on the ball in the 2nd half and in the last quarter in particular it paid dividends. Brayshaw must be a part of that mid rotation with Viney, Oliver and Trac.

Bad

ANB - not up to AFL level

Bennell - his skills are sublime but geez he struggles to get to the ball and his opponent. The better teams will exploit this for sure.

Tex - wow, how far has he fallen? How far has the team fallen?

Ugly

Umpiring - At an all time low. Was horribly one sided last night too. Disgraceful.

Commentators - Look, I can't stand Ed, and i don't rate Derwayne as a commentator, but clearly they had an agenda to support the Crows any chance they had. How many times did Ed suggest a free kick was there to Adelaide when clearly there wasn't? Or they would ignore multiple free kicks given to Adelaide that were a complete mystery. Blatant barracking was clearly going on, and i get it to a certain degree that they want to give the team with no wins a chance, but as commentators, you have to be unbiased. And how much does Ed talk about Collingwood. Everytime Weid plays he does it. Seedsman kicks a goal and all of a sudden he's a Collingwood person. Time's up Ed.
Spot on.

I think we played ok, certainly the better team even in the first three quarters. Poor umpiring and some stupid free kicks kept them in it.

I want to add -

Good - Lever. Kicked well and contested well.

Bad - Harmes and Jones. Just passengers at the moment, should be dropped. Also AVB, barely touched the ball and spent most of the night picking a fight. Now I like us being tough, but not being stupid tough.

Oct 9, 2014
AFL Club
Melbourne
Spot on.

I think we played ok, certainly the better team even in the first three quarters. Poor umpiring and some stupid free kicks kept them in it.

I want to add -

Good - Lever. Kicked well and contested well.

Bad - Harmes and Jones. Just passengers at the moment, should be dropped. Also AVB, barely touched the ball and spent most of the night picking a fight. Now I like us being tough, but not being stupid tough.

Yes tough was when Sparrow stood his ground and took that mark right near the end of the game. Pushing players when they are down (Hi Lynch) is not tough it is dumb and poor character.

I know Brayshaw got on his bike in the second half. But his ball distribution was not good at all.

Said it
This is dumb. There's nothing to be gained from getting reported or giving away free kicks. If we weren't so undisciplined in the first 3 quarters last night we would have won by 100. Cost us shots on goal, momentum, and left the door open for them to stay in the hunt.
Play hard, be aggressive and intimidate your opponent but stop ******* it up for everyone else with your undisciplined bullshit. It's like in basketball when your team plays great defence for 22 seconds and then your teammate bails the opposition out by reaching for a steal. Pisses me right off
It's a fine line but I agree with TK. The report was ANB's sling I think, so not really any 'flying the flag' there but I think we're much better as a team when we show some mongrel like we did last night.
For a great contested ball side we can be pretty easily intimidated physically unless one or two blokes set an example early.
Agree we need to be careful with it, but would rather we occasionally go too far than not push the line at all.

I think Harmes was solid last night, definitely not in awesome form but doing enough right.

Weid and Jackson are two big positives at the moment, Clarry was sensational and worth mentioning that we travelled 5 hours on the day of the match which would have been a tough match day preparation.

The main bad was our lack of discipline and the umpiring, was absolute rubbish.

Adelaide got more free kicks in the first half than we do on average for an entire game.

This. This is exactly what I was thinking at the time. Double standards. If the AFL want to create a "free kick: being a d$ckhead" rule/decision to stop players niggling, then it's got to go both ways. Sure it was dumb by Vanders, and I'm not entirely against that free being paid. But what was to stop him flopping like Marc Murphy to try and win back a free? He got plenty of pushes and shoves.
If you want to cut out niggle, then why doesn't the AFL review the footage of Tex's game? The 'hard man' and 'spiritual leader' of that team spent 95% percent of that game bumping people, and the other 5% creating clangers or shirking contests. For those who love Simpsons, he just reminded me of Stampy the elephant head butting the rest of the herd.

Walker was embarrassing. Clearly had an axe to grind with Lever, pathetic.

Deelighted

Club Legend
Aug 2, 2009
AFL Club
Melbourne
Good to see Clarry back to his best.

Warming to May even though I still think we overpaid, he was really solid.

Lever was poor IMO. Couple of times he could have marked and did not, including an uncontested one he spoiled straight to Crocker for a goal. Need either TMac or OMac as the second key back.

Even though I find Derm tiresome, his point about the block Jackson applied for Weid to take an uncontested mark was on point. How often do we see multiple players fly for the same ball when they should do exactly what Jackson did.

Good to see Clarry back to his best.

Warming to May even though I still think we overpaid, he was really solid.

Lever was poor IMO. Couple of times he could have marked and did not, including an uncontested one he spoiled straight to Crocker for a goal. Need either TMac or OMac as the second key back.

Even though I find Derm tiresome, his point about the block Jackson applied for Weid to take an uncontested mark was on point. How often do we see multiple players fly for the same ball when they should do exactly what Jackson did.

Isolating a couple of incidents to say Lever was poor last night reeks of you just being a hater coz of the contract mate.

Thought he was more than solid. Stood In the hole, used the ball well. Confidence is still down a bit still but he was nowhere near terrible, effort was perfectly acceptable.

Deelighted

Club Legend
Aug 2, 2009
AFL Club
Melbourne
Isolating a couple of incidents to say Lever was poor last night reeks of you just being a hater coz of the contract mate.

Thought he was more than solid. Stood In the hole, used the ball well. Confidence is still down a bit still but he was nowhere near terrible, effort was perfectly acceptable.
He was also exposed 1on1 on a couple of occasions, though I expect this to happen if we're playing him in a key post.

Not going to deny I hold him to a high standard because of what we're paying him, and moreso what we gave up to get him.

Maybe "poor" was harsh but for what we paid, I think it's fair to expect more. Hopefully it comes in time.

He was also exposed 1on1 on a couple of occasions, though I expect this to happen if we're playing him in a key post.

Not going to deny I hold him to a high standard because of what we're paying him, and moreso what we gave up to get him.

Maybe "poor" was harsh but for what we paid, I think it's fair to expect more. Hopefully it comes in time.

That's fair enough, I think he can play better also. Just don't think he's been as bad as lot of people are making out.

Teams rarely go with 3 talls these days, I reckon with May and now Tomlinson back there we have the correct setup.

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Whats dumb is expecting the team to play like this but then getting pissed when the umpires arbitrarily pick free kicks.
You can't control when the umpires are going to decide to pay free kicks but you can bring an aggressive edge to the game.

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
That's fair enough, I think he can play better also. Just don't think he's been as bad as lot of people are making out.

Teams rarely go with 3 talls these days, I reckon with May and now Tomlinson back there we have the correct setup.
He needs to go for more marks because it hurts us when he doesn't.
I'd straight up tell him I expect you to drop at least one intercept mark a game because that's how often you should be going for them.
Same thing to Trac, you should be caught HTB atleast once per game because you need to be taking on the tackler.

Back