Memberships 2020 St.Kilda Membership Thread (FINAL TALLY - 48,775)

Roughy had a little boy this morning - sign him up Roughy!
Oh, and congrats 😊

*Edit, just read Tuesday. Surprised it wasn’t commented on by our social media staff.

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2009
NSW
AFL Club
St Kilda
this is probably the moment i feel like ratts is now our coach

tbh haven't felt that way since ross

they always felt like they didnt belong somehow. with ratts it feels different. maybe its cause hes winning. i dunno.

Ratts makes the place feel like a football club again.

Ratts makes the place feel like a football club again.

couldn't agree more. you are absolutely spot on.

the thing that's really got me with ratts since he joined. is he previously didn't really appeal to me that much. he was a bit mumbly. almost choco like in how he talks. he'd almost go off on these tangents talking about stuff. so you get these thought explosions coming across with about 5 different points in them. you'd be sitting there going when is he going to take a breath and let the next question come. but he seemed nice enough. i was worried about the messaging had gone from one side of the pendulum to the other. with richo everything was bland as * and measured and on repeat. you'd hear the same ******* thing week in week out with little improvement.

but the longer Ratts has been in the position the better he is getting. i suspect the confidence is starting to kick in. a bit like our side. he rarely stumbles through those pressers anymore. he's very to the point. very easy to understand where he is coming from. it's actually interesting and engaging. you also get points outside of just footy that make you stand back and go "holy s**t! i'm not a footballer and even i want to work for this guy".

you come away liking the bloke so god damn much, you want to do what he say, just to not let him down.

he's really winning me over

the only other concern i had was around the defence. the jury is still out but i like what i'm seeing. my worry is it would be a bit more of what happened at carlton. being this flashy unit with an amazing player with judd. but completely ineffective in finals. no real defence to it. i was also worried the ball use would be more of this manic play on at all chances.

we've had some slip ups there but to his credit they've bounced back with a good win against port. still lots of work to do, but it feels like its heading in the right direction.

we just can't have more of what occurred against freo and norf. if that keeps happening, we and him are in some strife.

i'd just like us to really see some precise meaningful ball movement where we slow the game down. also have some moments where we slow the game down by grinding the stoppage down. also would like to see a bit more defencive pressure in that midfield. just adding more strings to our bow and stopping sides working their way back into the game once we blow them away. but these are things we can work on and tbh he is already exceeding my expectation for season 1.

Last edited:

ScrappyDo

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 29, 2018
Omnipotent
AFL Club
St Kilda
couldn't agree more. you are absolutely spot on.

the thing that's really got me with ratts since he joined. is he previously didn't really appeal to me that much. he was a bit mumbly. almost choco like in how he talks. he'd almost go off on these tangents talking about stuff. so you get these thought explosions coming across with about 5 different points in them. you'd be sitting there going when is he going to take a breath and let the next question come. but he seemed nice enough. i was worried about the messaging had gone from one side of the pendulum to the other. with richo everything was bland as fu** and measured and on repeat. you'd hear the same ******* thing week in week out with little improvement.

but the longer Ratts has been in the position the better he is getting. i suspect the confidence is starting to kick in. a bit like our side. he rarely stumbles through those pressers anymore. he's very to the point. very easy to understand where he is coming from. it's actually interesting and engaging. you also get points outside of just footy that make you stand back and go "holy sh*t! i'm not a footballer and even i want to work for this guy".

you come away liking the bloke so god damn much, you want to do what he say, just to not let him down.

he's really winning me over

the only other concern i had was around the defence. the jury is still out but i like what i'm seeing. my worry is it would be a bit more of what happened at carlton. being this flashy unit with an amazing player with judd. but completely ineffective in finals. no real defence to it. i was also worried the ball use would be more of this manic play on at all chances.

we've had some slip ups there but to his credit they've bounced back with a good win against port. still lots of work to do, but it feels like its heading in the right direction.

we just can't have more of what occurred against freo and norf. if that keeps happening, we and him are in some strife.

i'd just like us to really see some precise meaningful ball movement where we slow the game down. also have some moments where we slow the game down by grinding the stoppage down. also would like to see a bit more defencive pressure in that midfield. just adding more strings to our bow and stopping sides working their way back into the game once we blow them away. but these are things we can work on and tbh he is already exceeding my expectation for season 1.
David Rath is there to apply the checks and balances to whatever Ratts is doing, and our defense is getting more assured by the week.
There's still a ways to go, and some kg's to put on a few lads, but every game now is solidifying the group and the game plan.

I hate to say it, but everything seems to be running to script at StKfc this year.
And the beautiful thing is that they'll only get better from here.

It's just what the club needed at a time of uncertainty.
Ratts is a character that can connect with the fan base, and we have a young team with some budding stars that offer long term hope of success.

I've no doubt we'll smash the membership record next year, because the "StKilda package" is now appealing to the average follower, and especially young kids.

I'm sure our good president and COO are also putting together a network of wealthy individuals who'll facilitate player payments outside the salary cap, like all successful clubs have.
Snaffle a big name this year and the media will jump on board too.

After a decade of pain, it's time to enjoy the ride again..

Wednesday, August 5

Saints surge past membership record

The loyalty and passion of Saints supporters has lifted the club to an all-time record membership tally.

The Saints have now set their sights on hitting 50,000 members before the end of August after reaching 47,000 this week, surpassing the previous record of 43,001 (2018).

St Kilda President Andrew Bassat wrote to all members tonight to announce the Club would be rewarding members for their commitment with a free upgrade ahead for the 2021 season.

Highlights of the membership record include:

· 4,000 new members since the start of the pandemic

· An 9.3% increase to date on 2019 membership tally

· Every membership retained after generous members volunteered to pay it forward for those unable to continue with their payments due to financial hardship

· An additional $200,000 raised through donations

Bassat thanked members for their remarkable loyalty in a year in which has presented unimaginable challenges.

“To achieve this milestone at a time when our whole community has faced such hardship is incredibly heartening, and as I have said before, I am so proud to belong to such a passionate and loyal tribe,” Bassat wrote.

“In recognition of this incredible support, the club will provide every member who is signed up for a 2020 membership before the end of August the opportunity to upgrade their membership free of charge in 2021.”

“The club originally set about securing 50,000 members this season and – despite the obvious obstacles – this ambitious target remarkably remains within reach.

”Signing another 3,000 members in the next month would seem impossible to many people, but I am getting used to seeing Saints supporters rise above the odds.”

“The impact of COVID-19 on the football season has been enormous. From the first lockdown and the postponement of the season to the reality that many would not be able to see games in 2020 and now Melbourne’s second lockdown, your response throughout has been staggering.

“Thousands of you have pledged your membership. Some have generously reached out to purchase a membership for those unable to continue with their payments, ensuring that we have held on to every single member.

“We have added 4,000 new members since March and more than $200,000 has been donated to the club. Amazing in such difficult times!

“These contributions will go a long way to ensuring the club limits the financial damage of COVID-19 and allows us to emerge in 2021 in a position to really challenge the best in the competition on and off the field.

Current Membership Tally (05/08/2020):
~47,000

This Time Last Year (31/07/2019):

Difference:
+4,090

All-Time Tally;

1. ~47,000 (2020)
2. 45,678 (2018)
3. 42,910 (2019)
4. 42,094 (2017)
5. 39,276 (2011)

Dec 4, 2000
The Bay
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
NO Saints LUFC
What an effort for 2020. Not a game but 47,000 members

Screenshot_20200805-221509_Facebook.jpeg

Would have got to 50 000 this season, but for the obvious.
I’m predicting > 55 000 next year as the bandwagoners climb aboard.
( And hopefully some new members from Noosa)
Great job Saints!

Ducky Tie

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 15, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Would have got to 50 000 this season, but for the obvious.
I’m predicting > 55 000 next year as the bandwagoners climb aboard.
( And hopefully some new members from Noosa)
Great job Saints!
We've got a great chance now to get some off field strength.
Still a big if, but if we do make finals, the club is well positioned for a bounce commercially.

As you say, we are well placed to go well above 50k members. Hopefully we can to 55 plus. We should get a good fixture next year in terms of FTA and prime time matches.

What an effort for 2020. Not a game but 47,000 members

View attachment 928401

The only problem is next year. I signed up two people on free memberships as previously unsigned members. I also contributed a donation that was classed as a membership. I hope we can keep winning, that will bring real proper numbers through the books. Nothing like wins to bring the crowds and membership numbers back up.

Anything $50 or over in previous years counted as a membership too though.

So instead of putting up $300 you could do 6x $50 payments and skew the stats? I'm doing that next year, we could all do it and make us look like Hawks with a heap of canine members.

Back