News 2020 Fixture Discussion - Updated Rounds 14-18

Aug 27, 2014
spacetime
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
there are no other teams worthy

Liking the change to a Friday game. Gives the players six days in between our next two games in the two states far from each other, that they have to relocate between in that time. Plus more people in Perth will get to it on a Friday than a Thursday. Win-win for most.

Nov 26, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
So the AFL have pushed our game against Hawthorn back a day, but kept it at that dumb time. FMD!
Got a feeling there is a story behind this. Did Clarko request it? Did we agree? Thought we had a definite advantage there, with the ability to get to WA a day earlier. Hope we pump them after a training drill on Saturday. Although Hawks have the bloodstained witches hats, so they should be pretty fresh too

F_therest

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 3, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
I know the AFL are restricted but i reckon they're looking after the GC this year amid all the fixturing chaos.

So of the 12 rounds scheduled, 8 are at Metricon, 1 at the Gabba (not against Brisbane). 3 interstate.
Comparatively, Brisbane have 5 at the Gabba, 3 at Metricon. 4 interstate.

Sammoll

Club Legend
Apr 9, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Melbourne City FC, Southampton FC
Plenty of Baggers up in Darwin, hopefully a decent crowd will be let in. A good atmosphere behind the boys will help us get up and about.

Just looked and Gold Coast play Richmond the monday before this game, while we play on Saturday. The extra days of break should help us out.

Aug 27, 2014
spacetime
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
In isolation it might look ok to be playing Gold Coast not in their home base of Queensland but if it meant we spent last 3 weeks in Queensland playing Gold Coast, Brisbane and Collingwood I think that would have been fairer to our own schedule. If we are going from Perth to Darwin, to Brisbane to Adelaide and back to Perth or Brisbane with no base anywhere for 3 or 4 weeks in a row it is not good scheduling. But maybe they got something in mind that has us stay in Queensland for 6 weeks to end our last 6 games. Then it might make sense.
I would have thought staying in Perth a few more weeks and play Swans and GWS next made more sense for all of Swans, Carlton and Giants given neither of those clubs can play in Sydney now either.

Aug 27, 2014
spacetime
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Wonder why the AFL is under utilizing WA? Interstate teams only play 3 games here and move on.

The Gabba and Metricon are going to be unfit for AFL games by round 20...
Yep. it is mot making sense to me why we leaving Perth so soon when could have stayed there longer to play Swans and GWS that cannot play in Sydney now. That would have been more settling that keep shifting bases more often. Given we cannot have home games, the next best thing is to at least keep us playing games in same location 3 to 5 weeks in a row which seemed the logical thing considering we already in Perth now.

Aug 22, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
Yep. it is mot making sense to me why we leaving Perth so soon when could have stayed there longer to play Swans and GWS that cannot play in Sydney now. That would have been more settling that keep shifting bases more often. Given we cannot have home games, the next best thing is to at least keep us playing games in same location 3 to 5 weeks in a row which seemed the logical thing considering we already in Perth now.

Might be logistical, in terms of how many teams can effectively hub there?

Aug 27, 2014
spacetime
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Might be logistical, in terms of how many teams can effectively hub there?
It will have to all come out in the wash to make sense.
Either way, I do not envy them doing the fixture on the run and avoid screwing a few clubs over without meaning to. Just concerned that is what might happen to us.
They may have a different approach if they are trying to get Gold Coast and Brisbane on the road more so they do not get so many home games that so many clubs like us cannot get any. More neutral games is fairer in theory. But then you also got to try to keep costs down so either approach is not easy. Similarly if trying to avoid giving Queensland, WA and SA clubs lopsided numbers of home game advantages then Eagles and Fremantle should also be back on the road in a few weeks too.

F_therest

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 3, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
Just looking at the Suns game that is quite an advantage we get there and we have to make the most of it.

Yeah great for us...Fri night, not having to play the Suns in QLD and crucially they'll be coming off a 4 day break to our 6.

They literally play the last game of rd 12 and first of rd 13 lol.

Aug 27, 2014
spacetime
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Sydney and GWS play on Thursday 13th, we play on 15th and Hawks play on 16th so there is always 4 interstate teams in WA but they only every play 1 other non-WA team. Very weird.
We have not played Sydney and GWS yet and they cannot play in Sydney either so scratch my head why they did not just keep Carlton there a little longer to play those two clubs in Perth after Eagles and Fremantle that we playing next two rounds.

Can only assume because they only using the one ground in Perth they do not want to play so many games on the same ground. Whilst in Queensland there are two main grounds. Otherwise it does not make a lot of sense why we playing Gold Coast next.

carlton_99

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 4, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Arsenal & NY Knicks
Our fixture
Round 14 Aug 30 v Collingwood at Gabba
Round 15 Sept 3 v Giants Metricon
Round 16 Sept 8 v Sydney Metricon
Round 17 Sept 13 v Adelaide Metricon

Round 18 Play Brisbane in Round 18.. TBC date and venue.

Back