How would you fix the yips?

Remove this Banner Ad

We will probably be a competitive ‘also ran’ team that will make prelims and maybe even the big dance but probably won’t win a premiership unless we got really lucky (like Bulldogs 2016 or Bombers 1993) - will bring us a lot of joy along the way (and laready have from where we were) but probably not premiership glory

Yeah that's probably most likely

We will probably be a competitive ‘also ran’ team that will make prelims and maybe even the big dance but probably won’t win a premiership unless we got really lucky (like Bulldogs 2016 or Bombers 1993) - will bring us a lot of joy along the way (and already has from where we were) but probably not premiership glory
That a lot of probables.

That a lot of probables.
In our hearts we know we're a class bigger forward short. Hopeful Oscar can measure up in the ruck ,signs are good but if he goes down we're stuffed there . Short a strong classy midfielder and the wings are looking a bit decrepit now that Clug is busted up and Robbo losing a bit this year.

If Neale went down we'd be no hope but on our day with everyone up and going we could still win it. Of course that would mean our opponents not going so hot.

I think we've done exceptionally well to get where we have the last 2 years with the list we have and if we want to take the next step we need to find a way of improving it.

I've been a Lions member for 5 years and the problem is ever constant.

You need to be able to kick goals under pressure in big games at key moments
NOT INCLUDING SHOTS OUT ON THE FULL
2015 - Lions 57.6% Premiers Hawthorn 64.5% Leading goalkickers Green, McStay, Christensen, Zorko, Taylor, Adcock
2016 - Lions 57.2% Premiers Western Bulldogs 58% Leading goalkickers Zorko, Taylor and Josh Walker
2017 - Lions 60.9% First time above 60% since 2012!!!! Leading goalkickers Zorko, Hipwood and Dayne Beams
2018 - Lions 58.1% Premiers West Coast 60.1% Leading goalkickers Hipwood, Zorko, Taylor, McStay, Rayner
2019 - Lions 56.5% Premiers Richmond 60.6% Leading goalkickers Cameron, Hipwood, Zorko McCluggage, McCarthy, McStay, Rayner
2020 to date - Lions 51.4% Swans 51.8% Freo 65.7% St Kilda 67.1%

They need a ex forward or bio mechanics person to find them a comfortable routine and stick with it.
Look at how Plugger, Dunstall, Modra, Fev even Barry Hall held and kicked the ball in worse and windier grounds and conditions.

Modern day Tory Dickson - 181.61 LIFETIME at 74.8%
But look at how he holds the ball runs in and put is onto his boot - over and over and over and over again - the same every time

Look at "Big Boy" Ben McEvoy - a giant of a bloke big hands but goes at 72.5%!!!!!!!!

Worst Lions offenders in their Lions careers (McStay, McCarthy and Charlie the only high goalkickers who pass over 60%)
Hipwood 55.6% Rayner 52.7% Zorko 55.1% Berry Sr. 53.6% Suitcase 47.8%

This is the problem so many others have. NO TRC. Timing Rhythm. Coordination.
Great players do it every time in any conditions on any ground. Rain, Hail, Snow or blowing a gale.

Someone fix this please.

Last edited:
As I said in the review thread it doesn't matter how much practice you do you can not duplicate match day pressure, it's all in the head like golf putting yips, it seems to be self fulfilling and spreads through the team like a coronavirus, as soon as we miss a few at the start it just keeps on rolling.

Maybe no practice at all would work.
Everything in this thread probably been thought of and half of them tried already, agree with this.

I think there are a couple of different things going on. Partially its the whole game plan due to the lack of key forward targets but heaps of quality smalls and mids - so we focus to the pockets and get the ball to ground/stoppages. Then we have so many set plays with Neale/Cameron/McClugg/etc running to receive the ball boundary side of a contest and snap it. Its a low % play but it helps us get a lot of shots. Until we change the game plan we are always going to have a lot of points doing this (below the AFL average). Its just practice and confidence with these but accepting we will miss a lot.

There's then the big problem of set shots. There are way too many misses from our players in that 45 degree sort of arc inside the 50m. These are the sort of shots AFL level players should not miss (even with fatigue these should be a gimmie at this level). This is purely mental and like Brutus said its just mental. Getting that pure routine down should fix this.

Similarly we have a terrible record for shots running into 50 right now. Berry and Zorko have just lost what used to be a pretty reliable goal. Im certain that these sort of shots will come back to the mean over time

I think there are a couple of different things going on. Partially its the whole game plan due to the lack of key forward targets but heaps of quality smalls and mids - so we focus to the pockets and get the ball to ground/stoppages. Then we have so many set plays with Neale/Cameron/McClugg/etc running to receive the ball boundary side of a contest and snap it. Its a low % play but it helps us get a lot of shots. Until we change the game plan we are always going to have a lot of points doing this (below the AFL average). Its just practice and confidence with these but accepting we will miss a lot.

There's then the big problem of set shots. There are way too many misses from our players in that 45 degree sort of arc inside the 50m. These are the sort of shots AFL level players should not miss (even with fatigue these should be a gimmie at this level). This is purely mental and like Brutus said its just mental. Getting that pure routine down should fix this.

Similarly we have a terrible record for shots running into 50 right now. Berry and Zorko have just lost what used to be a pretty reliable goal. Im certain that these sort of shots will come back to the mean over time
I've noticed with the shots running into 50 with a clear go at it guys who used to be reasonably good and reliable are looking to give it off or a short option even if it's deep in the pocket. That moment of indecision can throw your focus off. And sometimes the short option gets swept away or OOB.

It's clearly a coaching instruction but good players who have a clear crack well inside 50 should have a fair chance of nailing it. We need to get our mojo and swagger back and if it's there have a ping.

I've noticed with the shots running into 50 with a clear go at it guys who used to be reasonably good and reliable are looking to give it off or a short option even if it's deep in the pocket. That moment of indecision can throw your focus off. And sometimes the short option gets swept away or OOB.

It's clearly a coaching instruction but good players who have a clear crack well inside 50 should have a fair chance of nailing it. We need to get our mojo and swagger back and if it's there have a ping.
There was a situation on Tuesday in the 1st quarter where we were going forward and Rayner got the ball around 60 meters from goal, there was an option to spot up an unmarked Hipwood around 40 meters out on a gettable angle. Instead he hesitated and kicked it deep into the pocket to a pack of players.

2015 - Lions 57.6% Premiers Hawthorn 64.5% Leading goalkickers Green, McStay, Christensen, Zorko, Taylor, Adcock
2016 - Lions 57.2% Premiers Western Bulldogs 58% Leading goalkickers Zorko, Taylor and Josh Walker
2017 - Lions 60.9% First time above 60% since 2012!!!! Leading goalkickers Zorko, Hipwood and Dayne Beams
2018 - Lions 58.1% Premiers West Coast 60.1% Leading goalkickers Hipwood, Zorko, Taylor, McStay, Rayner
2019 - Lions 56.5% Premiers Richmond 60.6% Leading goalkickers Cameron, Hipwood, Zorko McCluggage, McCarthy, McStay, Rayner

They need a ex forward or bio mechanics person to find them a comfortable routine and stick with it.
Look at how Plugger, Dunstall, Modra, Fev even Barry Hall held and kicked the ball in worse and windier grounds and conditions.

But look at how he holds the ball runs in and put is onto his boot - over and over and over and over again - the same every time

Look at "Big Boy" Ben McEvoy - a giant of a bloke big hands but goes at 72.5%!!!!!!!!

Worst Lions offenders in their Lions careers (McStay, McCarthy and Charlie the only high goalkickers who pass over 60%)

Great players do it every time in any conditions on any ground. Rain, Hail, Snow or blowing a gale.

Someone fix this please.

This type of rythym and timing?

If your basic routine has too many flaws in it you're limiting your % of kicking accurately.

Same with cricketers great bowlers bowl well in all conditions all around the world - which is why Broad and Anderson are very good but not GREAT like a McGrath, Warne, Ambrose, Holding, Akram etc.

I'm not an AFL player and played in the bush but my coaches worked on my routine as I got older and my career was 330.115 at 74%

I kicked 107.49 in one year - kicked 54.37 the first half of the season- made a few corrections after kicking 3.6 in a half a game in perfect conditions. Slower run up and hand and head change (how i held the ball and looked at it) and i kicked at 80% the rest of my playing days having gone from a 55-60% kicker in my early teens to wayyyyyyyyyyy better in my late teens/early 20s.

Collingwood is us-ing, you love to see it

maybe it is just fatigue. Keep it together for the gut running, but legs gone for the finessing of accurate kicking. We did seem to kick direct to opposition a lot but it wasn’t as frustrating as the kicks on goal.

which means fingers crossed for bringing in fresh legs on top of the returning players.

hopefully fresh legs>>> tired best 22 legs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Take $100 out of the hip pocket every time they miss ,fix it very quickly

Had a feeling playing at home would help and not that shithole down the driveway.

Someone fix this please.

Sensational post! I’d get Bernie Quinlan on the job.

I also think we bomb it to the pocket and hope too much.. Better teams we get less space when it hits the ground.
This is a very good point. Anyone notice in the Richmond game that they consistently targeted the area from the top of the goal square to about 30 metres directly in front when they were kicking to a contest either entering or already inside 50. It put us under so much pressure.

maybe it is just fatigue. Keep it together for the gut running, but legs gone for the finessing of accurate kicking. We did seem to kick direct to opposition a lot but it wasn’t as frustrating as the kicks on goal.

which means fingers crossed for bringing in fresh legs on top of the returning players.

hopefully fresh legs>>> tired best 22 legs.

We miss shots at the start of the match as much as we miss late in the match and that's why I don't reckon fatigue has anything to do with it

As mentioned above, Tory Dickson is the third-most accurate player of all time. He's 32 and he's cooked so no point signing him as a player, but maybe we could sign him as a goalkicking coach?

Also Ben Brown had the highest accuracy in the league for regular goalkickers between 2016-19. If he's on the market, I want him here.

If Ben Brown came to the Lions I'd be so conflicted. I genuinely rage at his half a football field run up. It's the modern Matthew Lloyd preparation. That and his dives are embarrassing to watch.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back