Autopsy Swans Vs Pies Rnd 10 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

- Had a go, skills/decision making at crucial times let us down again. Nearly pinched it with some of our better players this year down tonight.
- Lloyd excellent, Rowbottom good & Stephens did some nice things.
- Papley needs to be better than that flop, looking for frees and not genuinely contesting for the ball will hurt the side more often than not, this act straight after Clarksons comments means he's pretty much been branded as a stager... and not long until umpires will stop giving him frees, even legit ones, if he keeps doing it. Boy who cried wolf.
- We arguably have the worst KP spine in the league atm, bar Franklin - who may not have many games left, non of the rest are anything more than honest role players at absolute best, with only a couple who look like they may have the chance to become more than that (and they're still to raw to really know). Every premiership contender needs some quality players in the spine, need to start hunting for some this off-season. If it has to be in the upcoming draft because no-one will come so be it, get them in now so they can start developing. Not going to go any further up the ladder without some better KP players.

And some thought that the stretchure was planned
Come on have a look at the young fellas leg

bloody hurt I bet and hope he is ok

It might not have been planned but it was so excruciatingly slow that one would have assumed we had a major neck injury on our hands. Not sure it was possible for that medical vehicle to move any slower!

Pre game Swans were given no chance
Post game we are lamenting the Swans losing

Pressure from both sides was relentless throughout the game. First quarter looked to be pointing to a scoreboard mauling. Some accurate kicking from Sydney and the boys were in with a chance. Lot of handling errors from Sydney, to be expected given the youth of our side and pressure from Collingwood

5 minute period of the game decided the result.
The 50 that Taylor gave away changed the momentum. Collingwood Goaled
Dubious free to Reid shortly after and Collingwood goaled
Then Hayward tackled Maynard in Collingwood's 50 and Maynard threw the ball away, no free given, easy kick for goal to Sydney if free awarded.

I can't get over how bad Melican was last night. Aliir was poor but you can't tell me he would have done worse if thrown down back. Horse should just keep Aliir down back, don't believe him as a Ruck/fwd is working

Maibum or Gould next week surely?

melican has never been good.
but he tries incredibly hard. So I cut him slack each time he gets picked. But every time I see him play I’m reminded of the same things - he can’t turn, he is slow and gets beaten too easily on the lead, and his disposal is awful.

i also remember what I thought about reg when he first started playing in defence that he too was slow and couldn’t turn and used to get beaten on the lead.

but In the end I keep getting to the same point - he just gets beaten. Whereas reg was getting beaten by Travis Cloke and drew Petrie when they were good, Melican gets beaTen by everyone. Reg used to beat the more average players and had Richards to help and lrt at some stage. MeLucan is just miles off.

we are stuck in the position that we don’t have a kpd other than brand.

melican has never been good.
but he tries incredibly hard. So I cut him slack each time he gets picked. But every time I see him play I’m reminded of the same things - he can’t turn, he is slow and gets beaten too easily on the lead, and his disposal is awful.

i also remember what I thought about reg when he first started playing in defence that he too was slow and couldn’t turn and used to get beaten on the lead.

but In the end I keep getting to the same point - he just gets beaten. Whereas reg was getting beaten by Travis Cloke and drew Petrie when they were good, Melican gets beaTen by everyone. Reg used to beat the more average players and had Richards to help and lrt at some stage. MeLucan is just miles off.

we are stuck in the position that we don’t have a kpd other than brand.
My issue with Melican wasn't him being slow, it was how many marks he dropped. I can remember about 3 clearly which bounced off of his chest

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Me issue with Melican wasn't him being slow, it was how many marks he dropped. I can remember about 3 clearly which bounced off of his chest

His awareness is a MASSIVE issue.

Melican taking the kickout in the last two and a half minutes is a mistake in and of itself imo. He didn't need to rush and take the kick himself - there was plenty of time to get the ball into Lloyd or Dawson or Cunningham's hands first of all. But then to go way out to the flank requiring a precise kick to get to Mills who was badly outnumbered was a shocking decision. It was the time of the game to go down the middle, long and strong.

Melican was pretty good against WCE in the game he got hurt imo but last night was rough.

1596753415716.png

These look like the longest studs I was allowed in rugby back in the day. As a second rower I used to use them to tap dance on forwards silly enough to lay over the ball in the ruck - all in good fun and reciprocated (still got scars)
18mm? I can't recall. Still a freak accident but if metal studs are banned expect the Swans to cop a hefty fine.

View attachment 929317

These look like the longest studs I was allowed in rugby back in the day. As a second rower I used to use them to tap dance on forwards silly enough to lay over the ball in the ruck - all in good fun and reciprocated (still got scars)
18mm? I can't recall. Still a freak accident but if metal studs are banned expect the Swans to cop a hefty fine.

Yikes. Those are long studs. Can relate. I've been stepped on in the bottom of rucks for years playing rugby and these can be very dangerous.

I will say though that the action when Quaynor got hurt is a way I've never seen anyone get hurt by with those kind of studs. And of course Wicks had no intent to do anything bad so there is a freak accident element to it imo. TBH I'm still puzzled as to how those studs actually did that kind of damage in that tackle...but those studs can be very damaging.

View attachment 929317

So the pregame 3-4 inch spikes boots were photoshopped?

met.PNG

Alot if people are thinking that. You might be the minority. 🤭
Well I am on the side of the doctor. And if that is the minority so be it.

Seriously, that is a huge gash. Are we suggesting if that had happened to one of our players we would be upset it took too long to get the game moving?

This is nuts.

Played league and union for years. Soccer in my youth. Metal studs were the norm. Never seen any injury approaching that. The plastic ones used to have more sharp edges after walking on concrete etc than the metal.

Simple case of bad bloody luck and if the boots were illegal the club should be kicked up the arse and the locker room guys shot. If not then carry on.

Interesting game, even tho I always end up cranky after a loss to Covidwood.

Pluses were -

* Most of the young players had fair or better games.
* Really pleased for Wicks who had a long overdue debut and did well.
* Terrific game from Lloyd and fair games from Haywood, Ramps and Dawson.
* Sinkers limiting Grundy's impact.

Queries -

* Thurlow was better than expected - his kicking is his one strength.
* Allir is not a ruckman or forward - I don't get why he is being turned into a utility.
* Mills spent time in the mids and defence. FFS just play him in the mids.

Downers -

* Poor games from Papley, Reid, Florent.
* Murdoch's coverage of the game was incredibly lop-sided.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back