Player Watch Ben Keays - Signs on til 2027

Remove this Banner Ad

No denying that Keays has given maximum effort this year and has been a rare ray of sunshine in an otherwise dismal year. But let's not start kidding ourselves that he's anything but (at best) a decent 18-24 ranked player in a good team. I don't think he's a great decision maker with ball in hand and his skills are average at best. He's fit, works hard both ways, and has shown he can do a job on an opposition mid but he's not IMHO a frontline mid in a decent team. He could perhaps make a good defensive half forward stopping an opposition playmaker and trying to kick 1-2 goals a week (showed in NEAFL he knows where the sticks are) but I'm hoping he's not playing on-ball in 2022 or else we're still in a world of hurt.

No denying that Keays has given maximum effort this year and has been a rare ray of sunshine in an otherwise dismal year. But let's not start kidding ourselves that he's anything but (at best) a decent 18-24 ranked player in a good team. I don't think he's a great decision maker with ball in hand and his skills are average at best. He's fit, works hard both ways, and has shown he can do a job on an opposition mid but he's not IMHO a frontline mid in a decent team. He could perhaps make a good defensive half forward stopping an opposition playmaker and trying to kick 1-2 goals a week (showed in NEAFL he knows where the sticks are) but I'm hoping he's not playing on-ball in 2022 or else we're still in a world of hurt.

He'll be probably playing on-ball in 2022.

You know, I would have said the exact same thing about Jarryd Lyons about 4 years ago... I'd probably give 1-2 seasons before saying if he or won't he. After all, his last month has certainly been good enough to be a midfielder in a finals bound side. Lacking a little polish, but you do need bulls and so far, he's being an effective bull. Certainly the type who could find an effective niche in a very powerful side. After all, cheap and does all of the inside stuff is certainly a positive (and his skills/decision making will improve with being in a better side, because people will be capable of working harder and structures won't be as much of a mess).

The ability he has forward means he doesn't necessarily need to be a frontline mid in a good side. Perfectly capable of being a change mid in one though.

He's young enough to improve still too.

He'll be probably playing on-ball in 2022.

You know, I would have said the exact same thing about Jarryd Lyons about 4 years ago... I'd probably give 1-2 seasons before saying if he or won't he. After all, his last month has certainly been good enough to be a midfielder in a finals bound side. Lacking a little polish, but you do need bulls and so far, he's being an effective bull. Certainly the type who could find an effective niche in a very powerful side. After all, cheap and does all of the inside stuff is certainly a positive (and his skills/decision making will improve with being in a better side, because people will be capable of working harder and structures won't be as much of a mess).
I hope he proves me wrong but I just see him as quite limited in a footy sense and someone that others will go past in a decent team.

Re Jarryd Lyons I always saw him as having very high footy IQ (so opposite to Keays) but limited athletically (unlike Keays) so I'm not surprised to see him fit into a high-performing team.

Talia
Keays / Rob
Doedee / Smith
Been following closely.. Talia, O'Brien, Doedee and Keays, top 4 but close on points Smith only played 2 good games. My worst ranked player (min 2 games) is Murphy.. quite sad to watch his efforts despite generally poor skills and ability.

I hope he proves me wrong but I just see him as quite limited in a footy sense and someone that others will go past in a decent team.

Re Jarryd Lyons I always saw him as having very high footy IQ (so opposite to Keays) but limited athletically (unlike Keays) so I'm not surprised to see him fit into a high-performing team.
Agree 100%

We're going bad enough thay Keays' strengths really shine - fitness, finds the ball, goes in hard. He's a ray of sunshine given that several team mates don't display any of these traits.

Hopefully we're better in a year or two and our players will get judged more harshly as more is expected of them. Will be interested to see whether Keays continues to raise his game or remains a good honest trier.

I always suspected being athletically limited would have inevitably tanked Lyons into the dreaded "nice depth option, but not more much" role. Still, I'm rather happy I got proved wrong there. Always liked the guy.

I do suspect his footy sense will get to an average level around a better side (seeing it should make things easier) and after that, well, if he can shut down mids, and win his own ball, he could survive as a midfielder for a very long time in a very good side.

Been following closely.. Talia, O'Brien, Doedee and Keays, top 4 but close on points Smith only played 2 good games. My worst ranked player (min 2 games) is Murphy.. quite sad to watch his efforts despite generally poor skills and ability.
Brad would be up the top end too.

Rob would be up there. Think it would go Keays, Rob, dood, Talia

I agree, I think ROB would be close to being the front runner for the BNF at the moment.

Firstly because he is one of few players to have played every week and secondly because he is also one of very few who has consistently played their guts out every game.

He might not have the skills and ability of a Grundy or Gawn, but what he does have is a first class work ethic and a preparedness to put his body on the line every game without fail.

I agree, I think ROB would be close to being the front runner for the BNF at the moment.

Firstly because he is one of few players to have played every week and secondly because he is also one of very few who has consistently played their guts out every game.

He might not have the skills and ability of a Grundy or Gawn, but what he does have is a first class work ethic and a preparedness to put his body on the line every game without fail.
Thing in his favour is, apart from R1 he busted his gut and provided grunt. Almost no other senior player can say they've done that.

Keays first 2 games weren't great but he's improved quite a lot.

Keays has improved significantly since his first couple of games with us. If he keeps improving at the same rate, who knows what he could become.

Yes, I realize I'm being heavily glass-half-full here.
He's definitely playing better than any games I can remember from him at Brisbane where he was a largely anonymous low touch role player

How many of those games you remember watching was he playing in the permanent rotating midfield role?

AA playing midfield for the Qld at the 2014 Nationals.

View attachment 929757

View attachment 929767

View attachment 929773

View attachment 929737

Note also Harrison Wigg named as a defender but of course that's about the only spot we didn't give him a fair crack at..

The odds on you replying to my post with exactly this were $1.01

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Been our best midfielder this year. As we build our team we will hope he's not our number one midfielder, but could be a great role player for our next finals side. We should build our team with an eye for who we think will excell in finals football, and I can see his hardness being crucial in a final.

Last edited:
He will do well in his current role or as a HFF once the midfield builds out. A goal kicking midfielder is bloody handy. Sloane, Crouchx2 struggle with that aspect with only Kaeys, Laird and Jones proficient goal kickers (and not big goal scorers anyway).

Would be very close to leading our B&F at the moment, I thought he’d lay games this year but I didn’t think he’d be this consistent

Hope he can cement a place for us going forward

Would be very close to leading our B&F at the moment, I thought he’d lay games this year but I didn’t think he’d be this consistent

Hope he can cement a place for us going forward
What I liked is he stepped up agian when we played our best Midfield to close to equal with Matt, Brad and Laird. Last week he gave 4 decent Mids, allowing us to constiantly have a ball winner in the midfield throut the game. no matter what the rotation.

What I liked is he stepped up agian when we played our best Midfield to close to equal with Matt, Brad and Laird. Last week he gave 4 decent Mids, allowing us to constiantly have a ball winner in the midfield throut the game. no matter what the rotation.

Yup, it is definitely a positive when a player doesn't fall apart when challenged/a new addition was made.

Ben is certainly one to watch in 2021, is this a kid who is playing above himself or do we genuinely have one here? After all, he's responded very well to two separate challenges, firstly having to survive in a dysfunctional midfield and then had to respond to Rory Laird becoming a midfielder taking minutes/opportunities away.

That said, I am slowly becoming more confident that its all clicked for Ben and he has a pretty bright future here.

He looks like our fittest player...let's hope that lasts with another Crows preseason looming.

Adelaide: Ben Keays

In an otherwise bleak season, former Brisbane player Ben Keays has been a shining light for the Adelaide Crows. In Tuesday night’s win against the Hawks, Keays was influential with 22 touches, nine score involvements and four inside 50s. Keays plays with flare and was willing to take the game on in critical moments, helping his side to their first victory of the season. He’s exceeded everyone’s expectations this season since being picked up as a Delisted Free Agent and is well placed to poll well in the Crows’ best and fairest award at the end of the season.

Don't they teach them not to play with flares? This isn't soccer. ;)

Brings effort every game which I love, I have seen him a few times with 2nd and 3rd efforts while his teammates look on, hands on their knees, totally gassed. Deserves an upgrade to the main list and a new contract for sure.

Yep, much respect for this guy - making the most of his 2nd chance & 100% effort at every contest.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back