Preview Round 11, Brisbane Lions v Western Bulldogs, The Gabba, Sat August 8th 7.40pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Out: Robinson, Mccluggage, Witherden, CEY, Skinner, Zorko, Bailey, Rayner, JBerry, Payne
In: Hinge, Rich, TBerry, Mathieson, Mcstay, Christensen, Birchall, Coleman, Eagles, Cox

FB: Gardiner, Andrews, Ah Chee
HB: Starcevich, Rich, Birchall
C: Hinge, McCarthy, TBerry
HF: Christensen, Hipwood, Coleman
FF: Cameron, Ballenden, Mcstay
FOL: McInerney, JLyons, Neale
INT: Mathieson, Answerth, Eagles, Cox

I'll give you 1000-1 on those changes

Minimum bet $100

It’s even more astounding days on that we could’ve got it so wrong to the point that it feels like blind ignorance as to why we didn’t rest anyone aside from Birchall.
And Rich.

And Lester.

And McStay.

We would get smashed...
Eh, it's my selection to put the best team out there on Saturday while resting guys that look like they need a rest or didnt back up after a four day break and dont want to risk injury. Won't happen, but recent TOG% shows we are pretty consistent despite the shorter turnaround and it looks to me like the regulars in my outs are redlining.

Pretty sure the Adelaide fans would have said the same thing.
The problem is you don’t see the upside often enough.
I'm not going to deny he had a poor game against Richmond, 0 centre clearances, but let's remember he isn't far removed from an injury. He had 5 centre clearances against the Eagles, he has quality. I think he, and some others, have been rushed back from injury too soon.

Was there a reason why Saturday's teams were not announced last night as is customary for Saturday games?
Johnny Bananas is correct it is now the evening before.

I would imagine the reason is to give all Clubs as much time as possible to make a decision on players injury/recovery.
The old time frames probably had more to do with printing of game day records to sell, media releases etc etc

Ins:
Rich
Eagles
Birchall
Christensen
McStay

Out:
Payne
Robinson (Rested)
Ballanden
Rayner
Ellis Yolmen

Huge opportunity this week, with a run home that will consist of North, Sydney, GC, Carlton and an injury depleted Collingwood, a win here really sets us up for a top 2 or 3 finish. The bulldogs are always a dangerous side though i'd still be feeling confident this week had we managed more players in midweek but the scheduling really makes this a tough game. A loss isn't a disaster but a win would be absolutely massive.

To be fair these three were not managed

True, but still relevant...

Should they not be rested by a couple of weeks off, even if it's injury related?

If they weren't injured, would we have rested more than just Birchall?

CEY I keep in. He was not alone last week having a bad game. See a lot of upside in him

Said a few times not sure you can play the newbie talls Skinner. Payne and Ballenden together.
They need games although not together.
So do you drop one or two then even though I have Eagles above them all
Long term you robbing a game you could blood them with Smith/Martin out.
Depends on Big O. If he is out you need Eagles in.. Cannot go Ballenden/Skinner against a ruck for a whole game.
Not sure with the dogs forward line I play Payne and Andrews. Depends on Lester and Darcy if they play.
Payne will miss with the smaller forward line, although the more games the better, especially against some of the weaker teams that are coming up. Eagles obviously been upgraded, due to long term injury, and will replace Big O, I hope he does not replace Ballenden, as he is the future. Eagles is 31 or 32 next February and can serve a role this year, but I think we need to support Ballenden as back up ruck/forward. He has a huge kick on him, which we saw on Tuesday with that behind. I admire Eagles hard edge, but he lacks the skills of Payne and Ballenden. I say that with some confidence having watched every Lions NEAFL game last year and being at the match sims earlier in the year, but good luck to him, right place, right time and he will very likely play against English, with Big O rested.

Ins:
Rich
Eagles
Birchall
Christensen
McStay

Out:
Payne
Robinson (Rested)
Ballanden
Rayner
Ellis Yolmen

Huge opportunity this week, with a run home that will consist of North, Sydney, GC, Carlton and an injury depleted Collingwood, a win here really sets us up for a top 2 or 3 finish. The bulldogs are always a dangerous side though i'd still be feeling confident this week had we managed more players in midweek but the scheduling really makes this a tough game. A loss isn't a disaster but a win would be absolutely massive.
Thought Eagles would play this week, with his hard edge, but equally thought he would replace Big O, not Ballenden. Ballenden only had two games and hope he gets another chance. Payne a little stiff, did have an average last 5 min in the 2Q, but also stiff not to get one free and probably two with Chol hands in back also. Anyway chance for him and Ballenden go back go ressies and work on a few things and hopefully both get a chance in the next few weeks. Steve Waugh was dropped twice from the Aust cricket team, and well became one of the best #5 in world cricket. Lets see if the young guys take it on the chin and continue to learn. Would have like to see Wooller but don't know how he is playing this year, but do like the inclusion of Christensen.
Lions too strong on Sat night at the GABBA

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Looks likely that Naughton will be back for the Dogs. Crozier out. So two talls and a resting ruckman up forward. But their smalls have always worried us (Dale, Dickson), and Bontempelli/Macrae of course.

Also on the injury front, Josh Schache – who had been sidelined with concussion over the past few weeks - looks set to miss another three games as he deals with an overload issue with his groin.

That raises all sorts of questions.

Unrelated to the game but me and my wife are having 4 kid free nights down at broadbeach gold coast. Any pubs close to there that will be showing the game?? Any info would be great.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back