Preview Round 11, Brisbane Lions v Western Bulldogs, The Gabba, Sat August 8th 7.40pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The chance was on Tuesday and we blew it. But I agree with you re the mids.. Dev or Ely or Matho for Robbo or Jarrod Berry is warranted on Tuesday's form. We would have gained more than than we lost.
I think that's right.

Tuesday was self evidently the night to do that.

Too much of a mental bridge to bring in new guys tomorrow night when we really need to win it.

No one would have worried if we did it Tuesday and lost.

We rolled the dice. At least we still have 4 fresh ins tomorrow,

McStay will be a much welcomed in but also Rich IMO our second most crucial back after Harris
One of the big issues for us on Tuesday was that without Rich and Birchall there they were able to cut off the corridor easily knowing that there weren't going to be any piercing kicks coming out to break the lines.

So we just had to work too hard to get it forward as the game wore on.

Either we’ve pulled up better than expected through the middle or we are desperate to win. Glad Answerth kept his spot.
Limit Bont and Macrae and we should be golden. Let them waltz it out and they’ll carve us up.

Not enough changes in my view. Time will tell who comes up and who doesn't , let's hope no one's hiding anything.

I've thought Eagles was best 22 for some time but I wouldn't expect too much after such a long time out at this level. Just want him to crack in and give us more contested pressure to give the smaller guys more of an opportunity.

Yep, fresh legs in midfield is a worry. Hope we flood back, hang in there with them up until Q4.

If we try to match their run early, I worry this could be lights out after first 2 quarters.

Either we’ve pulled up better than expected through the middle or we are desperate to win. Glad Answerth kept his spot.
Limit Bont and Macrae and we should be golden. Let them waltz it out and they’ll carve us up.

Stop Caleb Daniel as well. He's their play maker from defense, hope Ah Chee does an AMT job on him.

I think the changes are right on the money.

Not sure about that.. I see other clubs rotating 5/6 players out.
We have gone too conservative here, just have to trust the coach + medicos judgement.

We have gone too conservative here, just have to trust the coach + medicos judgement.

Do we know the clubs are approaching the time in between the games the same?

Maybe these other clubs are preferring to train more but rest players rather than train less but rest fewer.

It didn't work Tuesday but I see the mantra coming from the coach and the players was that we did most things well but just didn't kick straight. A rareish occurrence.

Not convinced about all that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Do we know the clubs are approaching the time in between the games the same?

Maybe these other clubs are preferring to train more but rest players rather than train less but rest fewer.
I think you'd play your best team in any game in a 17 match season if you thought they were up to it Jackess.

Couldn't see anyone saying let's train these 3 or 4 guys instead of playing them. Or they're not quite right so let's play them because they don't have to train.

Of course we understand training is easier than playing.

I'm surprised we're playing Robbo and Hugh, they both looked knackered after half a game against Richmond. Would've loved to have seen Dev or Coleman in there.

Can't argue with the rest of the team though. While Ballenden and Skinner need games in them, they were both poor against Richmond, and Eagles gives us a better chance of winning this week. I think it was the right move.

One of the big issues for us on Tuesday was that without Rich and Birchall there they were able to cut off the corridor easily knowing that there weren't going to be any piercing kicks coming out to break the lines.

So we just had to work too hard to get it forward as the game wore on.
Agree.
Those two have been so important turning defense into attack.
Also when you now have Witherden back in defense a lot of pressure will be taken off the team, especially Witherden.

Bulldogs team for comparison.

BULLDOGS

B:
E.Wood, A.Keath, C.Daniel

HB: B.Williams, Z.Cordy, J.Johannisen

C: B.Smith, J.Macrae, P.Lipinski

HF: T.McLean, A.Naughton, L.Vandermeer

F: M.Wallis, J.Bruce, J.Dunkley

FOLL: T.English, T.Liberatore, M.Bontempelli

I/C: E.Richards, S.Lloyd, B.Dale, R.Gardner

EMER: Le.Young, C.Weightman, B.Cavarra, R.Smith

IN: A.Naughton, B.Dale, R.Gardner

OUT: R.Smith (Omitted), H.Crozier (Injured), C.Weightman (Omitted)

I know Eagles is older although played less years top level and here is the rub.
I have him currently above our 3 talls we dropped. This is what I thought when I watched NEAFL last year. I add Archie into this as well.
Problem is Eagles sometimes goes too hard gives away frees and disposal is not to the level of Ballenden.
It hard choice do you play the kids we hope be the future, or play best 22 to win.
With Martin out he is our next best ruck even if he does not play it all the time in the NEAFL.
We gave Skinner/Ballenden 2 games I feel for Payne getting only one.

The chance was on Tuesday and we blew it. But I agree with you re the mids.. Dev or Ely or Matho for Robbo or Jarrod Berry is warranted on Tuesday's form. We would have gained more than than we lost.
I’m not sure if any of Dev, Ely or Matho have the stamina or bursts of speed to play on the wing.

The natural replacements for me, are either of the Berry’s or Bailey.

Happy to see Eagles get another go. He will make mistakes but so would anyone who hasn’t played at top level for a couple of years. Big opportunity for him to cement a spot in top 22.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back