The football video games thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm playing FM19 and this is by far my longest save yet. League One title. Championship Title. German Cup. Bundesliga. Portuguese Cup

Southend: 6 seasons. Back to back promotions. 15th then 7th, 6th, 6th in the PL.
Dortmund: Almost 3 full seasons. German Cup season 1. Bundesliga season 2, been over 15 years since they won their last league title. Quit with about 3 months to go in season 3 feeling a bit burnt out with the save when I was sitting 2nd but 15 points behind Bayern.
Anderlecht: Took over with 7 games to go and won the title after their manager got poached by Wolves.
Sporting Lisbon: Sporting haven't won anything for over 15 years but do have quality youngsters and decent squad. Sold off a lot of the quality players and moneyballed it to do extremely well. Lead the league for most of the year, but bloody Benfica won 20 out of their last 21 games with 1 draw to me in there and took the lead off me with 4 games to go. Managed to win the Portuguese Cup a week after the season finished.

After feeling like the save had run its race whilst at Dortmund I'm back into it and determined to get this Portugese title. Hopefully raises my profile enough to get either the PSG or Roma/Inter jobs as I want to go and win the title in those 2 countries. Monaco has won the last 3 Ligue 1 titles so the PSG job won't just be a walk in the park.

Do any of the mentality ratings in FM point to a pre disposition to develop the doesn’t like big games trait?

I spent an outrageous amount on a striker - doubles my club record - and on a cold Tuesday night in Stoke, or against Watford or Villa he’s a killer. He’s scored 17 goals from his first 22 matches with my team and he’ll regularly get match ratings of 8+.

But against any of the big teams? He stinks like vomit had diarrhoea. He’ll rate 6.2. He can’t hit the side of a barn. This post was motivated by him having a shot from the apex of the box and sending it out for a throw.

He hasn’t developed that doesn’t like big matches trait, but he’s surely going to right?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Do any of the mentality ratings in FM point to a pre disposition to develop the doesn’t like big games trait?

I spent an outrageous amount on a striker - doubles my club record - and on a cold Tuesday night in Stoke, or against Watford or Villa he’s a killer. He’s scored 17 goals from his first 22 matches with my team and he’ll regularly get match ratings of 8+.

But against any of the big teams? He stinks like vomit had diarrhoea. He’ll rate 6.2. He can’t hit the side of a barn. This post was motivated by him having a shot from the apex of the box and sending it out for a throw.

He hasn’t developed that doesn’t like big matches trait, but he’s surely going to right?

every player has 11 hidden stats. ambition, controversy, dirtiness, important matches, injury proneness, loyalty, pressure, professionalism, sportsmanship, temperament and versatility. they might have a very low important matches rating, same with pressure and temperament. they might develop it, may not. it's all pretty random if they're a regen

I wonder how those stats effect a new signing striker.

At sporting I've got 3x 30+ year olds in on loan. Gabriel Jesus, Haaland and Rafael Leao. Jesus is meant to be pushing Haaland for top spot but can't break his duck and is absolutely stinking it up to the point he will now be my 3rd choice

every player has 11 hidden stats. ambition, controversy, dirtiness, important matches, injury proneness, loyalty, pressure, professionalism, sportsmanship, temperament and versatility. they might have a very low important matches rating, same with pressure and temperament. they might develop it, may not. it's all pretty random if they're a regen
To add to this, you can kinda tell the range within certain attributes a player has based on their personality (i.e. fairly professional, model citizen etc), and you can influence the development of these traits in young players through the mentoring system.

I should note though, that mentoring has never been ale to influence the important matches stat

Thanks heaps for that - I didn’t know that. Kind of feels like I should’ve! (Though I’ve only been playing 2 months)

I had another striker in the same save who lit up his first season, and was utter shite in his second. I had this strong suspicion that he was a genuine fruit loop - he had all the signs. Unrealised potential at a major club. Loved being the centre of attention. Would bang in goals when you’re praising and encouraging, but would be useless for weeks if you criticised him or benched him. But there’s nothing in his ratings to back my theory up.

It’s good to know that there’s something to this, and I’m not just getting way too invested in the back stories of my character!

First look at FIFA 18. Ronaldo will be on the cover

Picked it up for $3 from Cash Converters last week but have binned it already. Have to look at Ronaldo as it starts up. The young star in the story is always whinging about something. I almost vomited when he signed to play sawker for LA Galaxy. The MLS should be renamed MLSWGAF. The young star has a half sister who plays for USA women so in one game I found myself as a teammate of Megan Rapinoe. I spent most of the game chasing her around and doing slide tackles on her.

On the plus side England beat Germany 3-0 in the world cup final.

Picked it up for $3 from Cash Converters last week but have binned it already. Have to look at Ronaldo as it starts up. The young star in the story is always whinging about something. I almost vomited when he signed to play sawker for LA Galaxy. The MLS should be renamed MLSWGAF. The young star has a half sister who plays for USA women so in one game I found myself as a teammate of Megan Rapinoe. I spent most of the game chasing her around and doing slide tackles on her.

On the plus side England beat Germany 3-0 in the world cup final.
Errr

I thought I’d ask another FM question while people are being chatty.

How big a squad are you generally running with for an EPL team? And as you’re climbing up the ranks from promotee, how do you manage playing time so they don’t start bitching at you and upsetting morale? Cos at that stage of your clubs rise, nobody decent is even discussing wages if you’re only offering them a job as a squad player.

I’m very good at winning cups, but haven’t won a league yet (from league 2 up I was promoting without winning the division.) I think it’s because I’m generally only carrying 2 players for each position, and come March-May I’m prioritising knock out games at the expense of the league when you have to rotate players. (I probably have to cop to losing too many points to mid table teams through sheer laziness as well.)

How do I manage this better? Is there maybe some staff or player personality type that I can install as captain to stop people bitching at me about playing time? Is there any evidence that punishing disruptive players impacts on other players or squad dynamics?

Personally I’ve had captains that “hold you in the highest regard” and sometimes leaders who do the same.

If they have very good morale I generally utilise them to talk to the players sooking about game time and most times it shuts them up for a bit.

I also don’t play players with energy less than 90% on match day as they gas out inc players with niggles as a precaution so they don’t further injure themselves. That helps rotate the squad a bit too.

I thought I’d ask another FM question while people are being chatty.

How big a squad are you generally running with for an EPL team? And as you’re climbing up the ranks from promotee, how do you manage playing time so they don’t start bitching at you and upsetting morale? Cos at that stage of your clubs rise, nobody decent is even discussing wages if you’re only offering them a job as a squad player.

I’m very good at winning cups, but haven’t won a league yet (from league 2 up I was promoting without winning the division.) I think it’s because I’m generally only carrying 2 players for each position, and come March-May I’m prioritising knock out games at the expense of the league when you have to rotate players. (I probably have to cop to losing too many points to mid table teams through sheer laziness as well.)

How do I manage this better? Is there maybe some staff or player personality type that I can install as captain to stop people bitching at me about playing time? Is there any evidence that punishing disruptive players impacts on other players or squad dynamics?

Play non-first team players where you can afford to (against poorer teams etc).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hadn’t played FM for well over a decade or so, but with lock down and plenty of downtime wfh thought I’d download mobile version of FM20.

Picked worst list in the PL Norwich. Only made one signing of note Croatian striker Petkovic, also paid too much for Benrahma.

Anyway after just 3 pts from first 9 games I somehow unlocked defensive key with back 5 and barely conceded goals whilst not scoring many, Petkovic scores a dozen but Benrahma bombed. Somehow managed to finish 12th.

Second season only decent signing was Demme from Napoli for cheap price. Brighton somehow managed to loan me Connolly without a recall clause. Connolly turned into a semi god scoring 19 goals, Petkovic another 14 and somehow finished 4th.

As unrealistic as ever FM, they really should make it so much harder, everyone should get the sack after their first job but of course that will effect sales. And some of the screens and moving to and from is chunky.

Think I’ll stick to reading books

I prefer a squad of 22 + my best 3-5 youth players. I tend to only start players above 96% condition which means there's pretty heavy rotation which means guys can show form when they're given a start in a cup game or against a side we should win against. Then once all have a few starts in all comps just pick on form from those fit enough to start. Anyone bitches and moans I say its a long season or its a squad game. If they kick up a stink then I say I'll sell them. As long as results are holding up not enough teammates will support them, any that do I tell them that it'll mean player X will be dropped and they end up siging with me.

Cruyff14 and anyone else looking for bargain entertainment during lockdown - PES 2020 reduced from $40 to $9.98 on PSN store. Hard to say no at that price.

I am the “anyone else”. :p

Bought FIFA 20 a few weeks ago and regretted it rather quickly as Cruyff suggested I would. Bought PES 20 on the sale you posted and it’s just an all around better football game. The gameplay beats Fifa rather convincingly. My only gripe is the low scoring between AI teams in ML. Can basically win the league with 60 goals scored. But hey, that is nothing compared to FIFA’s problem where the top 4 will finish between 90 and 110 points lol.

I am the “anyone else”. :p

Bought FIFA 20 a few weeks ago and regretted it rather quickly as Cruyff suggested I would. Bought PES 20 on the sale you posted and it’s just an all around better football game. The gameplay beats Fifa rather convincingly. My only gripe is the low scoring between AI teams in ML. Can basically win the league with 60 goals scored. But hey, that is nothing compared to FIFA’s problem where the top 4 will finish between 90 and 110 points lol.

Did you start with default players / hardest difficulty on ML?

Thats truly a grind lol.

Did you start with default players / hardest difficulty on ML?

Thats truly a grind lol.

My level is professional. If I went up another level I wouldn’t be able to handle it. I might try a friendly on the highest difficulty to see how I handle it. Yeah, I did default players.

PES 2021 is going to be a season update rather than a fully fledged game. Probably just the rosters will change to add the summer window transfers but the gameplay itself will just mirror PES 2020.

PES definitely has its flaws too though. I played it again last week and it still needs work.

You go two up against a team after 20 mins and they will go all out attack. I've won 6-0 when that's happened.

Transfers in ML are s**t, and so are those ******* arrows. I won't be getting the update.

PES definitely has its flaws too though. I played it again last week and it still needs work.

You go two up against a team after 20 mins and they will go all out attack. I've won 6-0 when that's happened.

Transfers in ML are sh*t, and so are those ******* arrows. I won't be getting the update.

I haven’t started my own ML, just been playing around with simming with different settings and I reckon transfers in ML between the AI is the best there has been in a football game. I had transfers to happen very little in a transfer window and for them to happen often and I didn’t see not even one bullshit, game breaking transfer. The transfers just don’t have an unrealistic feel in this years PES as previous PES games and FIFA. Konami said they overhauled the transfer system and it’s definitely for the better.

Can’t tell you the amount of times Harry Kane got transferred to Everton in previous years. Bloody nightmare lol.

Sure did. I probably just found the website you all did (PESWorld.co.uk).

I was a pretty big PES aficionado back in peak PES days (PS2 era). Some of the option files are great quality, you wouldn't know it was an unlicensed game lol. IIRC EA got real salty about it and tried to stop distribution of option files (without success).

I haven’t started my own ML, just been playing around with simming with different settings and I reckon transfers in ML between the AI is the best there has been in a football game. I had transfers to happen very little in a transfer window and for them to happen often and I didn’t see not even one bullshit, game breaking transfer. The transfers just don’t have an unrealistic feel in this years PES as previous PES games and FIFA. Konami said they overhauled the transfer system and it’s definitely for the better.

Can’t tell you the amount of times Harry Kane got transferred to Everton in previous years. Bloody nightmare lol.

Good times ML. Just dont have too many deals on the table at once - I had a gameover once because I was too much in the red after negotiations concluded lol.

My level is professional. If I went up another level I wouldn’t be able to handle it. I might try a friendly on the highest difficulty to see how I handle it. Yeah, I did default players.

PES 2021 is going to be a season update rather than a fully fledged game. Probably just the rosters will change to add the summer window transfers but the gameplay itself will just mirror PES 2020.

Some of those default players make Welbeck look like Messi lol

Remove this Banner Ad

Back