AFL Autopsy RND 10: Down to the Giants

Remove this Banner Ad

Everytime we try to defend a lead this pretty much happens, we either scrap a tiny win after having a good gap or it gets stolen from us on a technicality.

Keep attacking FFS.

Its a tough life being a Bomber supporter... 🥴

Is it we try and defend a lead or is it side tighten their defensive zone and force us into kicking down the line because they know they can get the ball back ?
Because we have very few marking options sides do actually put up a 4 4 3 zone through the middle and force us to kick long down the line. Until we can get players who are able to take a mark down the line and play on inside it will keep happening.

Of course we looked undisciplined when the free kicks only go one way.

After the McKenna free, Shaw continues to hold him and his jumper off the ball, doesn't let him get up or run despite the ball in play - no 50, no down the field. When McKenna jumps at him during the mark it's paid as a 50.

Why was McKenna undisciplined but Shaw wasn't? Because of the umpires whistle.
All I could think of there is Goddard's 50 against Collingwood. Held him down and prevents him joining the next phase of play.

FWIW I'd give McKenna another week up forward.

How hard is it to analyse the top 8 sides. Summarise what the key elements are to how they win contest, apply skills, kicking, marking, possession, at least copy that if nothing else, so training and education for the players + the basic fundamentals instilled. If you can take the mark, it's 100% possession and moving the ball forward, where as players opt for the defensive punch to a 50/50 for a turnover. How to hold the ball when kicking the football is basic stuff to learn. You could do that repeatedly at training until it's easier and easier + players enjoying the competitive nature of the game, enjoying their football. Picking players and putting them in their strongest position. Again, i don't think any of this is rocket science to at least be fundamentally a sound team, maybe not in the top 4, but at least understand high percentage skills. We have a good list that's underperforming, a great list of coaches, state of the art training facilities.

I just don't get it. Simple as that.

I will make it very simple. No matter what season you look at. The sides with the most good players generally end up in the top 5 or 6.
Secondly of those with decent players the ones who buy into the game play the most generally win the GF.
We fall down in both departments.

An example of the bias?

Shane Mumford is 2-11 on free kick count over 4 games in 2020.
Over 2019/2020 his free kick count is 35-78

Tonight he gets 6-4 free kick count his way.

You explain to me how one of the most penalized rucks in the league for frees (on average getting 1 for every 2 and a bit he gives away) wins the count 6-4 tonight.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I will make it very simple. No matter what season you look at. The sides with the most good players generally end up in the top 5 or 6.
Secondly of those with decent players the ones who buy into the game play the most generally win the GF.
We fall down in both departments.

We have a pretty good list, it's not necessarily as strong as the cats or eagles, but we have some solid players. Just looking at the list. They just look lost and confused on game-day. So yeah, I get it, but i don't at the same time.

Woosha can fu** off.

soft sock
Agree ...... I know he will cop a fine if he talks about umpiring,,,but f me.....every week we have to put up with BS that effects either momentum, the result......don’t say you didn’t see it when ya sitting on the bench,..wtf you watching then...so frustrating

We have a pretty good list, it's not necessarily as strong as the cats or eagles, but we have some solid players. Just looking at the list. They just look lost and confused on game-day.

And here is your problem. We actually do not.

Umpiring was putrid, but the bump that Ridley copped that took him out of the game was fair. Straight in the rib cage
Can you say GWS deserved to win? They had just as much bad play as we did. If the umpires were even we would've held on and won.

There were at least three times I recall where our players got hit high and there was no free paid:
1. Townsend - KO'd and egg on his cheekbone (In our goal square)
2. Walla - Elbow to face (In our F50)
3. Ridley - Taranto bump (In our B50) - takes him out injured for the game

Yet Ward takes Papleys position in the Olympic diving team and gets paid the FK.

It's a fantasy land where you assume umpires don't impact the outcome of games where teams are really close. You can't expect a mid table team like us to win week in week out when the rub of the green goes the other way. If we were 10 goals better then the competition then sure umpires but don't matter. But we're not good and they do matter

On SM-G965F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Pretty much knew we were going to lose as soon as he passed that. If Tippa goes back and kicks that goal we probably win.
You know he has been like that most of the year...then 2 weeks ago he want really hungry...like someone tapped him on the shoulder and said back YOURSELF....Tonight he went back to the bad habit on that play. Wish the clock stopped as soon as Saady kicked that goal. Tippa was streaming out of the middle and that 4 seconds may have been handy...who knows?

Daniher
Stringer
Fantasia
Laverde

In for stewart, mckernan, townsend and whoever else we can drop. Zaka hopefully
Stewart is working his way back into form off very minimal game time in several years. Not to mention the lack of second tier competition this year. Thought he competed well tonight, despite being asked to play a role he isn't necessarily suited to. He has had his best games for us as a link up 2nd or 3rd forward.

Does Woosha ever watch our games?

f36b86f853004ac18998bf651f4502420fb78f9c.jpeg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back