AFL Autopsy RND 10: Down to the Giants

Jun 9, 2007
Awareness
AFL Club
Essendon
Umpires should be set to the same KPI's as players and as any other career field out there. If some don't like it, then move aside. Plenty of young and up and coming people would be willing to put their hand up for the role and probably do a better job at it in the long run. It's turned into a literal boys club as of late. No one fears for their spot so they just call whatever. It needs to stop.

MightyDon

Premiership Player
Jun 18, 2011
AFL Club
Essendon
The 4 inside 50 tackles is a pretty damning stat. We know we've got an undersized and under-skilled forward line so we can't afford to be outworked just let the opposition waltz out with the ball. We seem happy to set up a wall across the middle of the ground for the rushed clearing kick if it comes, but we really don't generate enough pressure on opposition ball carriers.
Zakka, 1 tackle

Absolutely pumped in the clearances by GWS. FFS can we please just bring in some midfielders.

For those of you wanting a guy who throws his mouthguard, it hurts you the other way too.

$500 fine doesn't seem like enough for Ward that dumb flopping campaigner.
Clearances were like 12-9 against us in the first quarter, 8-12 in our favour in the second quarter, I think fox put it up on the screen sometime in the third. Not sure about the rest of the game and idk how you'd get those stats short of tallying up the individual player stats quarter by quarter.

Jun 9, 2007
Awareness
AFL Club
Essendon
Having said that, Redman needs to stop with that bullshit holding jumpers from behind a player crap.

Either learn to spoil or defend without doing that s**t or lose your spot.

Damn the players should be glad I'm not a coach... I would literally look like the grim reaper.

Also, can our players stop going for the ball while not looking at it in flight as they're closing the distance on a player who's going for a mark?.... LOOK AT THE BALL while it is coming, that's all you need to do! And you will thus be able to judge exactly where it's coming and if you track it well, then a spoil or a contested marking scenario will follow. It's not rocket science!

I see so many of our players running to a player with their hands up while the ball is coming in from behind their back as the oppo player is facing towards the ball.... this is doomed to fail every time and almost always results in free kicks.

IggypopsTshirt

Cancelled
Jun 27, 2013
AFL Club
Essendon
AE8FCC48-991D-469F-A14F-067F0403486F.jpeg

Few posters in here like......

Clearances were like 12-9 against us in the first quarter, 8-12 in our favour in the second quarter, I think fox put it up on the screen sometime in the third. Not sure about the rest of the game and idk how you'd get those stats short of tallying up the individual player stats quarter by quarter.
I was looking on the AFL website... but it seems I was looking at the Hitouts not the clearances. :$

May 8, 2018
Shanghai
AFL Club
Essendon
Umpires should be set to the same KPI's as players and as any other career field out there. If some don't like it, then move aside. Plenty of young and up and coming people would be willing to put their hand up for the role and probably do a better job at it in the long run. It's turned into a literal boys club as of late. No one fears for their spot so they just call whatever. It needs to stop.
This. I’ve never seen a successful outcome when a group of people have no accountability, KPIs, and are completely prohibited from receiving any criticism. Pretty much the same modus operandi as our global authority figures right now...

yeah heard that on crunchtime, Ward's email got leaked or whatever & dickheads have been spamming hate, what a world.

Obviously no-one should have to put up with receiving death threats; but who the hell opens emails from people they don't know?

There's a clip of it in the article. Also quotes from Ward and Worsfold.

Jul 17, 2017
AFL Club
Essendon
What would you say about Shaw's high against Townsend in front of goal?
Good question!
Watching it live I thought play on, slo-mo replay I thought free kick.
Watching cement head live I thought play on (but knew the umps would call it) but this photo sort of changed my mind.
Umpiring is bloody tricky even if you are calling a kids game (everyone should try it to see how hard it is) would prefer to discuss what we can control (our own dumb team) rather than the people with the toughest job in town.

We can't control our team at all. So no more forums?

I umpired a few seasons in the VAFA. We worked on the 'dont guess' principle and it wasn't anything too demanding....

JayJ20

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 28, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Good question!
Watching it live I thought play on, slo-mo replay I thought free kick.
Watching cement head live I thought play on (but knew the umps would call it) but this photo sort of changed my mind.
Umpiring is bloody tricky even if you are calling a kids game (everyone should try it to see how hard it is) would prefer to discuss what we can control (our own dumb team) rather than the people with the toughest job in town.
My opinion is both should have been let go. The game has become over-officiated. The umpire who paid the Ward free kick wasn't even the umpire closest to the contest. The umpire closest to the contest called play on. The other was sucked in by Ward's acting skills and guessed.

It is tough and that's exactly why the AFL needs to make it easier for umpires. The only way it happens is if the AFL are held accountable for the state of the umpiring.

emblurr

Club Legend
May 1, 2008
South Yarra
AFL Club
Essendon

The umpires are assessed and held to standards. https://www.afl.com.au/news/444965/umpire-insider-the-review

Back