Preview Changes and prematch discussion vs Melbourne: The Death Ride Cup

Jan 23, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Garns, Jacobs and VW are all perpetually injured. Tyson, Turner, Comben and Perez are injured as well but we can't say perpetually, at least not yet so that leaves Crocker and McGuiness who haven't played a game while available out of the whole squad this year.

Did that ever happen undear Brad?

I don't remember him being so wide ranging with his selections.

Well I suppose Brad didn't have this many injuries to deal with. Lying on the floor listening to whales talking among themselves was hardly going to lead to strained anything. But I am impressed no one ever got burnt by the scented candles. So he did well there.

Waussie

Premiership Player
Nov 26, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Pretty bloody disappointed that Walker is omitted. Could understand it if he was listed as managed, he ran his guts out and was cramping with 5 minutes to go, but omitted?

I suppose though that considering his injury history, Shaw probably hasn't seen any recent competitive football from him whatsoever (ever?), so might not have had him in any of his future/current plans at all. Was listening to his press conference as I was typing the rest of the post out and that it seems like that might be the case lol: "Saw young will walker get back after so long out of the game last week, and it was fantastic to see him out there, we feel as though we've found something there and feel as though we can do something in the future"

Dissapointed Kyron isn't back yet, can't help but wonder if we're foxing and he is actually injured.

Larkey and LDU being straight back in are massive ticks.

Glad Durdin is getting a shot, but man we have some mega height in the backline. Surely Walker goes forward, or we end up resting he or Taz?

Overall, bit disappointed we didn't rotate more blokes during this 3 week block if I'm being honest. Hope we don't pay a price for that.

Emergencies are Walker, Hosie, Murphy, Tommy C. Do we have any idea who traveled?
Re: WW why risk him, Rhyce has seen all he needs to see get him cherry ripe for next season
Kyron went off with a knee knock a couple of weeks ago and went back on with it strapped, went off in the 4th early last game he played and had it iced, vision in the last week saw it strapped and elevated.... Yep injury👍

speedy

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 5, 2001
Melbourne, VIC
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Higgins named half-forward again. Line-ups don't mean much but he has spent less time in the middle this year. It must be a Shaw thing.

I find it a bit perplexing. Higgo down on his normal output.

Jan 23, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Higgins named half-forward again. Line-ups don't mean much but he has spent less time in the middle this year. It must be a Shaw thing.

I find it a bit perplexing. Higgo down on his normal output.

Speedy I'm not 100% sure that winning is currently our main objective. he'll be 33 at seasons launch in 21.
I think he deserves to spend the rest of his career on a flank.

The terms omitted, managed and injured all seem pretty ambiguous in their application, maybe they should just have a single term ‘not playing this week’ with something helpful in brackets (could be injured) (might be managed/omitted) and for something more definitive (2 weeks) That would provide a lot of clarity for supporters and the media 👍

Rad Roo

Premiership Player
Aug 2, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Why did we go in so tall? Do we need Durdin when we have Tarrant, Walker and Mackay in the backline? Are we deliberately trying to lose?

Im finding the rationale hard to come even from an amateur's pov in that normally we don't have a key position sized player on the bench unless he is a ruck.

If durdin is playing then walker should go to FF to exploit his tankiness from the goal square, Larkey at CHF and having Daw as 3rd tall combined with 2nd ruck? Too tall, our midfield isn't dominant hence the tall forward and defense will be very slow to combat opposition's quicker ball movement.

Unless of course we are trying to lose while giving everyone experience.

Kangaroo Cat

Club Legend
Jun 2, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Glad to see Durdin having a go this year, i hope theyre just giving hayden a proper rest, it really annoys me seeing guys with ice strapped to themselves ( massage therapist here)

Dirty_11

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 28, 2014
Beneath the Blue & White
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Shinboners
Durdin forward or back? Didn't mind him as a lead up forward a few years ago. I really hope he does well, if BMac and Durds both become players it is massive for us moving forward.

LDU to build on his last game. Would love to see more bursts of pace in his game although his speed can be deceiving, a little like Scott Pendlebury.

Goldy has to take hold of this game now he has limited opposition. It will be massive for the club and his AA credentials.

We need a strong start, let the Dees know it will be a tough day and they won't want a part of it.

LMac to Petracca.

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

marklovesbeer

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 8, 2010
South Adelaide
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
South Adelaide Panthers
We definitely have the capacity to score more, but it will be all about the mids & taking the opportunities.

I'm content just to see more youth development.

Durds article:

The Kangaroos' structure at either end will be a point of fascination, given Rhyce Shaw's team is suddenly loaded with talls and has a number of swingmen.

Durdin's played in attack on occasion, but largely in the backline, while Josh Walker and Majak Daw have also interchanged between those positions this season.

Even Ben McKay was drafted as a forward before settling in defence, where he will likely be again, alongside Robbie Tarrant.

This will be interesting.

Jul 11, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
It's a shame Hayden isn't playing I've been enjoying his season, it's cool to see the kids taking risks and playing with intent even if it doesn't work out every time.

Glad LDU is back amongst it. Would love to see everyone in their preferred positions for the first time since r2... Play the guys to their strengths and we win.

SonofSamsquanch

Enjoy decent coffee but don't dunk yer biscuits
Mar 31, 2016
Victoria
AFL Club
North Melbourne
The best thing that can be said about Gawn missing is that it greatly enhances Goldy’s All-Australian chances. If Gawn had towelled him up again like in R23, it may have been a deciding factor for the judges.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
I'm sure they will keep that game in mind when deciding. They might even consider that Sunday is a missed opportunity for goldy to atone.

Back