Poker terms

Remove this Banner Ad

rotation - one circuit of the table

I've been known to use other terms for this, so I just wanted to get it on the list.

I don't know where I picked this one up from, or even if it's common

Dirty Flush - Flush using just one of your cards, particularly after a pre flop all in, coming from behind

another one, don't know if it's common.

"Hung-drawn" when quartered in hi-lo

freeroll - one definition is a free tournament, the other is when you have a redraw to a better hand yet have no chance of losing. In the hand below, two players had AJ, but jannik1997 was freerolling the river for a flush (which didn't come).

NO_LIMIT TEXAS_HOLDEM $5+$1 (Real Money), #1,519,480,619
5+0.5 NL Holdem Multi Table Tournament, 19 Jan 2007 3:12 PM ET
Seat 1: jannik1997 ($1,250 in chips)
Seat 2: CARECA10 ($2,970 in chips)
Seat 4: fulpetson ($1,340 in chips)
Seat 5: ffcoolplayer ($3,440 in chips)
Seat 6: faisei1 ($3,740 in chips)
Seat 7: btwx ($1,360 in chips)
Seat 8: cassou87 ($3,885 in chips)
Seat 9: ac sepe ($8,100 in chips)
Seat 10: AussieAsh ($1,800 in chips)

ANTES/BLINDS
cassou87 posts blind ($25), ac sepe posts blind ($50).

PRE-FLOP
AussieAsh folds, jannik1997 calls $50, CARECA10 calls $50, fulpetson folds, ffcoolplayer folds, faisei1 bets $400, btwx folds, cassou87 folds, ac sepe folds, jannik1997 calls $350, CARECA10 folds.

FLOP [board cards JD,2C,4H ]
jannik1997 checks, faisei1 checks.

TURN [board cards JD,2C,4H,5H ]
jannik1997 bets $850 and is all-in, faisei1 calls $850.

RIVER [board cards JD,2C,4H,5H,2D ]

SHOWDOWN
jannik1997 shows [ JH,AH ]
faisei1 shows [ JC,AC ]

yes, happens a lot in Omaha 8/b.

this one made me smile.

Game #4299332454: Omaha H/L PL ($0.15/$0.25) - 2007/01/26 - 11:14:28 (DST)

Table "Girlnextdoor" Seat 3 is the button.
Seat 1: AxelRoze ($17.62 in chips)
Seat 2: mdldmr ($24.33 in chips)
Seat 3: bph45 sits out
Seat 4: MICKEYCC ($15.15 in chips)
Seat 5: dav081249 ($3.43 in chips)
Seat 6: Stonerock ($16.34 in chips)
Seat 7: __floh__ ($23.06 in chips)
Seat 8: borgsta ($35.80 in chips)
Seat 9: ewood ($28 in chips)
Seat 10: mrnl ($19.51 in chips)
MICKEYCC: posts small blind $0.15
dav081249: posts big blind $0.25

----- HOLE CARDS -----
dealt to borgsta [4d 2d 3h 8c]
__floh__: folds
borgsta: calls $0.25
ewood: raises to $0.75
mrnl: folds
AxelRoze: folds
mdldmr: calls $0.75
MICKEYCC: folds
dav081249: folds
borgsta: calls $0.50

----- FLOP ----- [3d 6c Ad]
borgsta: checks
ewood: bets $2.25
mdldmr: folds
borgsta: raises to $9.40
ewood: calls $7.15

----- TURN ----- [3d 6c Ad][8d]
borgsta: bets $21.45
ewood: is all-in $17.85
Returned uncalled bets $3.60 to borgsta

----- RIVER ----- [3d 6c Ad 8d][Qs]

----- SHOW DOWN -----

borgsta: shows [4d 2d 3h 8c] (HI: A Flush, Ace high, LO: 6,4,3,2,A)
ewood: shows [Ks 3c 5d Ac] (HI: Two Pairs, Aces and Threes, Queen high, LO: 8,6,5,A,A)
borgsta collected $27.15 from Main pot
borgsta collected $27.15 from Main pot

----- SUMMARY -----
Total pot $57.15 Main pot $54.30 Rake $2.85

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I reckon in 10 years I'll still be learning new terms.

Greek Holdem - regular holdem but you must play both hole cards

Why Greek? I don't know.

I want a help with this one

Small Ball

Negreanau (spelling) has taken this new approach and is doing pretty darn well with it, but he only explains it in his recently released book *surprise*. Anyway, what I basically think it is, is keeping pots small when you're unsure, i.e: Top Pair weak kicker on a draw heavy board, either betting out small into it hoping to taking it down early, or conceeding. Then making big pots when you have the nuts.

Its all very well and good in theory....but how to pull it off, and have I got an accurate description? Feel free to fill me in

small ball - early-tournament post-flop strategy to frequently win small pots (often employed by skilled players)

long ball - late-tournament pre-flop strategy to force opponents to call your all-in with a coin-flip at best (ie. the Kill Phil strategy, often employed by novice players)

There is some discussion in the Kill Phil book. I notice small ball when I get constantly min-raised on the flop or turn, which then leaves me wondering in future hands where I stand, what has he got, and before I know it, I'm just really confused.

I copied this from another forum:

Many players uncomfortable at their post flop play, or one's that enjoy playing big pots will lean toward a longball style especially against a strong postflop player, while a more comfortable post flop player will use a style incorporating small ball, to keep the lead in the hand while keeping the pot managable.

From what I know a long ball style utilizes much larger preflop raises with the intent to take down the pot on the flop with a large flop bet. Long ball players usually will be more tighter than the avarage because of their better starting hand requirements, and the large preflop bets increase their chances of winning these pots by slimming down the field. You usually will have to play premium hands to justify the risks of the large preflop bets. The plus side to this style is that your winning percentage should be higher than most, however the win sizes will be marginal as you will mostly be in 2 and 3 way pots. Also your table image will allow you to occasionally steal pots preflop, as most will give you a solid hand after showing down big winners. The down side of course is that the pots you will lose will often be large, as the preflop betting will tie you to the hand because of the pot size. You will also be fairly easy to put on a premium hand preflop.

Small ball is a style that uses small, information gaining bets each street designed to keep pressure on your opponents and to control the pot size. Small ball players like to see frequent flops, and are in a great deal of hands. Using this style forces you to play in many difficult and marginal situations, so skill at reading hand and board texture is a must. The plus side is that you will pick up many small pots using a flurry of small 'annoying' bets and raises, while keeping the risk of losing your entire stack to a minimum. It will be much easier for you to get away from a hand as the pots will often not be worth the fight, and because you will be involved in many future pots, you will have made up the money lost in a short time anyway. The down side is that you will become a target for trapping. Many players will play large hands out of position passively, counting on you to bet their hand for them. This style is easily beaten by larger preflop re-raises, to take the lead away from the small lead bettor.

Daniel Negraneau, and Phil Hellmuth are big proponents of small ball play, while players like Mike Matusow and Scotty Nguyen like to play larger pots, especially preflop.

And this from 2p2.

And from the horse's mouth:

deacsoft: The word has been out for a while now that you have a book in the works. Can you tell us a little about it?

Daniel Negreanu: I plan on writing a few books actually, but the first one will cover hold'em only. The meat of the book will be my finishing chapter. That chapter will go into great detail on how to play "small ball". “Small ball” is an approach that is used amongst virtually every successful tournament player out there today. The theme behind it is simple: how to accumulate a large stack of chips without taking any big risks.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back