The Bar - Beer, Wine & Spirits Discussion Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Woodford double oak is very smooth. Buffalo Trace highly under rated, Elijah Craig highly over rated. Four Roses single barrel is probably my fave. Once upon a time it was the same price as Jim Beam white label in Perth. Haven't seen a bottle in WA in years. Last one was in Melbourne about 2 years ago. Cheers.

I wouldn't pay 80 for a no age statement elijah.

Four roses make some great stuff. I had a bunch of different combinations of their different mash bills sent to me one time and there were some real corkers.

For tonight it'll either be Beer - Kaiju Krush Pale Ale or I might pour some Laphroaig 10 undecided as yet.
Love the laphroig 10 . Have a bottle atm . Tried the laphroig select last weekend . Just like the 10 but with less of the medicinal taste and more sweet . Still the same Smokey peat though .

Ee5Kt5rU0AEj9qm.jpeg
I don't know if it's because I've been off the beers this year but this has to be my favourite beer I've tried this year.

Yep if you love sherry cask scotch that is a great bottle and the glenfarclus 15 too.

The glendronach 12 is probably the best sherry cask you can get for $100 .

But sherry cask is not to everyone's taste . I love them but they are a lot sweeter with those dark/dried fruity notes.

The glengrant 10 is probably the best single malt under $70 IMO . Its not a sherry cask but just so smooth , balanced and delicious and leaves a lot of the more expensive scotch for dead .
My first sherried whisky was a run in with a'bunadh.

I'm pretty partial to them these days

My first sherried whisky was a run in with a'bunadh.

I'm pretty partial to them these days
You like the high proof stuff by the look of it 👍
It weird when I got into whisky I tryed a lot of whisky . You could get yamasaki 12 and hibiki 17 for under $100 those days ( wish I stashed a few ) then the normal whisky seems tame. I then I started wanting bigger flavours, higher proof and more peat .

I've almost done a 180 in the last few years and gone back to the stuff I thought tame and found that there is a complexity and balance to those type of whisky I didn't get 10 years ago . The sort of flavors that you lose at 50+% .

Don't get me wrong I still love the the big flavour and Pete but it was really fun to go back through the stuff I started on and gave it another try .

Yep if you love sherry cask scotch that is a great bottle and the glenfarclus 15 too.

The glendronach 12 is probably the best sherry cask you can get for $100 .

But sherry cask is not to everyone's taste . I love them but they are a lot sweeter with those dark/dried fruity notes.

The glengrant 10 is probably the best single malt under $70 IMO . Its not a sherry cask but just so smooth , balanced and delicious and leaves a lot of the more expensive scotch for dead .

"Good" Scotch is such a personal thing. I find sherried scotch like the Glendronach 12 & Glenmorangie Lasanta a bit sweet but I love the Port varieties.
Dan Murphys have a 14 year old Balvenie for $114 usually $141. In rum casks so has a bit of 'zing about it.
Personally I find the base model Glenmorangie the best value for money scotch - but as I said its a personal taste thing. The Islay whiskies with their peat I find a bit much.
For those in Perth - have a look at the range at the Re-store in Leederville.
Quite superb.

"Good" Scotch is such a personal thing. I find sherried scotch like the Glendronach 12 & Glenmorangie Lasanta a bit sweet but I love the Port varieties.
Dan Murphys have a 14 year old Balvenie for $114 usually $141. In rum casks so has a bit of 'zing about it.
Personally I find the base model Glenmorangie the best value for money scotch - but as I said its a personal taste thing. The Islay whiskies with their peat I find a bit much.
Quite superb.
100% agree . Love the balvenie double wood and have tried the rum cask in a taster.
I have a very good mate that has been my whisky buddy for a long time . We both love trying something new but have our own personal taste which is quite different. The best part is we buy different things and can't wait to share it .

Quite superb.

The Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban is a fine dram as well.

Quite superb.
The "Re Store". best shop in the City. If you appreciate good food , ( European ) Been the best for years. I know you Bond, or at least your brother. Good man.

You like the high proof stuff by the look of it
It weird when I got into whisky I tryed a lot of whisky . You could get yamasaki 12 and hibiki 17 for under $100 those days ( wish I stashed a few ) then the normal whisky seems tame. I then I started wanting bigger flavours, higher proof and more peat .

I've almost done a 180 in the last few years and gone back to the stuff I thought tame and found that there is a complexity and balance to those type of whisky I didn't get 10 years ago . The sort of flavors that you lose at 50+% .

Don't get me wrong I still love the the big flavour and Pete but it was really fun to go back through the stuff I started on and gave it another try .
I've learned with the big boys that you should stop pouring after 40-50ml. Your palate gets fried by the alc% around there and you are drinking for effect as much as anything from that point.

Playing around with water to find your preferred sweet spot alc% can be a fun diversion too that you can't really do with regular strength whisky.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

DanWCE Any idea why Colonial changed their can closure? One of my favourite things about them was the entire top coming off but then I crack open some porters tonight and they are just the regular type of opening :(

Supply issues I believe. There were another couple of breweries doing them as well, possibly Bentspoke? Curious to see if they've made the change as well.

Picked up a 4 pk of Boston Squeeze neipa at liquor shed for $17, bit of a thin head (which I found with their beers when I visited their brewery a while back) but tasty and juicy, not bad drinking at that price.

Great price, and a good example of a NEIPA.
Hey Dan have you heard anything about a date for Running with Thieves opening?
There's rumblings of soon but no definitive date.
You'll have to post a review here if you get a guernsey to their preview opening........ok.

Hey Dan have you heard anything about a date for Running with Thieves opening?
There's rumblings of soon but no definitive date.
You'll have to post a review here if you get a guernsey to their preview opening........ok.

I went to their preview opening a little while ago now. Did I not post any photos? I can't recall.

They were planning on opening in Spring, but kitchenless this Summer. Understandably, as that fitout is another million bucks, haha. It'll be awesome when it's done though. In the mean time they'll operate more popup style.

I'm driving past daily now with the relocation of work but they usually have the roller door pulled pretty far down. Have you popped your head in? They're great guys and open to a quick yarn if you want to get acquainted early on 😉

I went to their preview opening a little while ago now. Did I not post any photos? I can't recall.

They were planning on opening in Spring, but kitchenless this Summer. Understandably, as that fitout is another million bucks, haha. It'll be awesome when it's done though. In the mean time they'll operate more popup style.

I'm driving past daily now with the relocation of work but they usually have the roller door pulled pretty far down. Have you popped your head in? They're great guys and open to a quick yarn if you want to get acquainted early on 😉

Ah I do remember you posting a couple of pics, didn't realize that was the preview opening, thought you had just dropped in and had a peek.
I'll have to just happen to be wandering by one day and pop in for a look.
Cheers.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back