Skills How can I develop as a young player

Remove this Banner Ad

Bethune

Draftee
Aug 8, 2020
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I would’ve started playing my first under 16s season this year but unfortunately due to covid my season has been called off. I have been trying to train everyday just to build my skills up and try to become the best player I can for next season. I always grew up overweight and only starting losing weight in my under 14s season when I was really starting to resent football because I was never taken seriously as a player because I was very unfit and was never focused on at training because I was about 13 at 93kgs I was either just shoved in ff in the hope the ball would come to me or I was starting on the bench. I went from about 93kgs to a low of 68kgs and am now at 77kgs and 185cm tall. Last season I moved clubs because I didn’t enjoy football anymore and found the club and team I was in very toxic and an unhealthy environment, I ended up winning Runner’s up and was the first award I had ever won. Only problem was because I was playing in division 4 and wasn’t being challenged and was playing against people two years younger than me.

Last season I was playing in the ruck even though being not fit enough to really cut it. Going up in the age groups I realised I wasn’t gonna be the massive tall ruckman anymore and if I want to play at a higher competition like tac cup I wouldn’t cut it just being the average ruckman. I want to switch into a key position player in the forward line. Growing up I would average about 4-5 on the beep test and am now only getting like 6-7 and I really want to get that to like 12 because my running has always been my weakest point even now being a lot skinnier am still really slow and not that agile.

I really am trying to take my football seriously because my dream has always been to play afl and after seeing Matt Rowells transformation it’s really gotten me motivated and believed that I can really do it if I try. My goal for now is to make a tac cup side which would be western jets for the area I live in and I was just wondering if anybody’s got something that could really help me become a better football and also become a better and faster runner.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

unfortunately at this stage here in Melbs the physical part is all you ccan really focus really atm so i'd start woith speed training which takes the longest to develop and leaves you the quickest as well and doesn't reallty develop if you don't train it...havinf greater max speed will also bring up your sub-maximal running all on it's own because as your speed goes up, so does your speed reserve meaning:

1 - current max speed is 8 meters per second
2 - 80% of that is 6.4 meters per second
3 - if speed increases to 8.5 meters per second then 6.4 meters per second is now 75% - see how that works?

I'm in Sth Kingsville and will be training players privately around that area after lockdown all going well

I would’ve started playing my first under 16s season this year but unfortunately due to covid my season has been called off. I have been trying to train everyday just to build my skills up and try to become the best player I can for next season. I always grew up overweight and only starting losing weight in my under 14s season when I was really starting to resent football because I was never taken seriously as a player because I was very unfit and was never focused on at training because I was about 13 at 93kgs I was either just shoved in ff in the hope the ball would come to me or I was starting on the bench. I went from about 93kgs to a low of 68kgs and am now at 77kgs and 185cm tall. Last season I moved clubs because I didn’t enjoy football anymore and found the club and team I was in very toxic and an unhealthy environment, I ended up winning Runner’s up and was the first award I had ever won. Only problem was because I was playing in division 4 and wasn’t being challenged and was playing against people two years younger than me.

Last season I was playing in the ruck even though being not fit enough to really cut it. Going up in the age groups I realised I wasn’t gonna be the massive tall ruckman anymore and if I want to play at a higher competition like tac cup I wouldn’t cut it just being the average ruckman. I want to switch into a key position player in the forward line. Growing up I would average about 4-5 on the beep test and am now only getting like 6-7 and I really want to get that to like 12 because my running has always been my weakest point even now being a lot skinnier am still really slow and not that agile.

I really am trying to take my football seriously because my dream has always been to play afl and after seeing Matt Rowells transformation it’s really gotten me motivated and believed that I can really do it if I try. My goal for now is to make a tac cup side which would be western jets for the area I live in and I was just wondering if anybody’s got something that could really help me become a better football and also become a better and faster runner.

Mate, Matt Rowell has a lot to answer for. Slow, small, average by foot, 75kg... He gives a lot of kids false hope.

All you can do is become the best version of yourself. Set some realistic fitness goals and work towards them. Play in the highest division you can manage, and let others decide your best position.

Find a club that does a hard, early preseason and work on your fitness. Do the extra by yourself or with a mate. Be the best version of you and see where it leads.

Reading that, you probably (no offense) have a limited capacity in the ruck, maybe as a secondary but these days clubs are putting a premium on athletic rucks and as has been the trend. I'd say try a move back as a key position back and try beat players by height or stay forward and have the best hands possible i.e. crashing mark packs or clean off the ground snap over the shoulderthat kind of stuff, similar to what one of the King Brothers did.

one thing if you want to make a talent program is execute the fundamentals as efficient as possible. If you can do that as a significantly tall player that will count for you. This includes marks, ball off the ground, 20-30 meter kicks and set shots (forward) or body work (defense)

Fitness wise it's best to improve anaerobic systems for your kind of position so you can beat players by body (push out, legally in the side or arm bar) and by lead. Those combine for a lethal combination.

At the moment,
work on:
Gaining muscular weight (77 is ok, because you'll gain weight as you grow) will give you an edge in one on one body on body contests as a swing player. Many players your age still lack adequate body work so if you can have the best body work then that gives you a huge edge. Ways you can practice this include going to the park with three people, one person kickis the ball 'on your head' whilst you and another player battle it out using body work for a mark. Body work includes arm baring, in the side push, 'box out' (if you play bball you'll know what I mean) and very discrete jumper pulls from behind a player to hold them down so they jump late or jumper tugs from the front hence brining them closer to you in order to drag an in the back free.
Marking is extremely important for your size, it'd be great if you had 'vice-hands' and a knack for crashing the pack. Just remember you have less of a risk of injuring yourself if you crash the pack then if you are in the pack being crushed.
20-30 meter kicking. Honestly it is very hard to develop endurance, but still try to, but I doubt leaving the 50 is a good option for you If you can:
1. Mark the ball inside 50 well.
2. Kick goals from anywhere 20-30 meters out
you are well on you way to being a talented player.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back