Preview Round 11 Carlton vs West Coast @ Optus Stadium Sunday 9th August 3.35pm AEST

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

So, I'd have Levi, TDK as the key forwards obviously with Kennedy as the 3rd tall. Kennedy is going to have to play as a 2nd tall when Levi or TDK go into the ruck. I'm thinking that Levi will stay forward the whole game though.

We are going to have our hands full in defence with Kennedy, Darling and Allen their 3 genuine tall forwards and Waterman 191cms as well. I'd like to see Weitering on Kennedy, Jones on Darling and Plowman only gives away 3 cms to Allen. Maybe Willo can play on Waterman?

I think Cottrell is an insurance policy to counter the speed of Ryan and J Cripps. SPS or Doc has to cover the other.

The selectors named Murphy and Simpson on the bench this week, so whether they start there or not, that was a symbolic gesture that we can't keep rewarding players based on reputation. It's up to them to come out fighting for their spot now.

Newnes to sweat on Gaff, Walsh on Redden, Yeo and Crippa to go head to head. Curnow to go to Kelly.

The Eagles defence isn't that quick and with JGov out, our lack of tall forwards won't hurt as much. Our midfield needs to draw even so that Betts and Martin/Fisher can create havoc at ground level.

Very happy that we have added pace this week. It will be important in the West.

I get the feeling NicNat will jump all over Pittonet if he gets a clear run and jump. I’ll be interested to see how TDK’s leap and long reach stack up against him.

With Curnow, Walsh and Cottrell in the same side we have some elite endurance. Would love to see them get a crack at full length quarters.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Huge call: TDK will hold his own at centre bounces against Nicknat.

So I doubt Teague changes structure. More likely there are role changes.

1. Kennedy forward is a forced change. Can’t have Sheppard and Hurn intercepting too easily.
2. The mid ‘structure’ I think stays the same: 3 guys rotating through the wing, 4 mids predominantly sharing central roles.
3. Wing options have been Murph/Walsh/Newnes. Walsh wing only. Murph and Newnes rotating forward. Given Newnes kicks goals he’s not going to be pushed back to the half back line. Walsh could go into the middle.
(A) That would be the ‘Teague’ play. The conservative option. Cottrell would take Walsh’s wing. Walsh takes Kennedy’s mid.
(B) aggressive option: Cottrell to start to problem solve ‘pace in backline’ issue. SPS takes Kennedy role in midfield.
(C) twist: Murph forward. Martin mid. Walsh, Cottrell Newnes take wings.

I think they take (a).

4. In all worlds I see Fish taking Cunners spot in a direct swap.

Is your team sheet normally the true positions? I was wondering if Walsh might swap inside and Setterfield outside like your team sheet says
Hopefully not. Don't want to see SPS in a back pocket. Absolute waste of his talent there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Whatever happens throughout this year the club needs to really look into why we have had so many knee problems over last few Seasons -- I thought might be training ikon park but seems not the case .. ( that's if Mackay really does have knee) .. but de koning will play well first up .. 👍🏻
What knee problems? Charlie a complete accident and we knew he was clumsy. JSOS has an ITB Issue Which is more the side of the upper leg than knee. Anyone else. We don’t have e a knee issue problem at Carlton. Even docs could be used as an example but he did the second one while training in a park as Ikon was being redone.

Yes - well said...important that’s all people expect both of him and TDK...don’t expect them to set the world on fire, just be happy if they look like they “belong” and have a little moment or 2 to show us what they will bring after 50 to 100 games...
Why can’t they just show up and star straight away. Look at Ladhams he turned up at smashed Pittonet in the ruck off similar afl experience to TDK. What about Jake Aarts for Richmond. Why the * can’t a carlton player turn up on game 1 and just do there ******* job. Im sick of bloody waiting. We make way too many excuses when younger sides than ours keep producing way more than what we’ve produced the last 5 years.

Why can’t they just show up and star straight away. Look at Ladhams he turned up at smashed Pittonet in the ruck off similar afl experience to TDK. What about Jake Aarts for Richmond. Why the fu** can’t a carlton player turn up on game 1 and just do there ******* job. Im sick of bloody waiting. We make way too many excuses when younger sides than ours keep producing way more than what we’ve produced the last 5 years.
Hey, no ranting until after the game. Then; meh...

Why can’t they just show up and star straight away. Look at Ladhams he turned up at smashed Pittonet in the ruck off similar afl experience to TDK. What about Jake Aarts for Richmond. Why the fu** can’t a carlton player turn up on game 1 and just do there ******* job. Im sick of bloody waiting. We make way too many excuses when younger sides than ours keep producing way more than what we’ve produced the last 5 years.

Ladhams is 22 though, so more development there.

Aarts averages 8 disposals and 1 goal per game as a 2nd year 26 year old.

The only ones I can think of this year who have really performed right off the bat are Rankine, Rowell, Young, Georgiades, Max King and Eggmolesse-Smith who is 22.

Great to see Fish back in missed his zip and creativity, finally the King gets a shot needed a block of vfl games in him coming back from a decent injury lay-off, weather not looking good but he’ll hunt chase and tackle on top of crashing in and making a contest, should go ok in the centre bounces got a great leap on him... Congrats too Cottrell boyhood blues supporter likely wing or defence rolls, like the ins...

So I doubt Teague changes structure. More likely there are role changes.

1. Kennedy forward is a forced change. Can’t have Sheppard and Hurn intercepting too easily.
2. The mid ‘structure’ I think stays the same: 3 guys rotating through the wing, 4 mids predominantly sharing central roles.
3. Wing options have been Murph/Walsh/Newnes. Walsh wing only. Murph and Newnes rotating forward. Given Newnes kicks goals he’s not going to be pushed back to the half back line. Walsh could go into the middle.
(A) That would be the ‘Teague’ play. The conservative option. Cottrell would take Walsh’s wing. Walsh takes Kennedy’s mid.
(B) aggressive option: Cottrell to start to problem solve ‘pace in backline’ issue. SPS takes Kennedy role in midfield.
(C) twist: Murph forward. Martin mid. Walsh, Cottrell Newnes take wings.

I think they take (a).

4. In all worlds I see Fish taking Cunners spot in a direct swap.

I’m an option (b) person

No he isn’t. He’s an out of this world endurance runner. He’s an excellent/amazing 200 repeat runner.

He’s ‘good’ off the mark. Not lightening.

I hope he's not 'lightening' as he's pale enough. It may also make him of the wrong gender for this league :)

Cottrell is quick enough but hard to get a gauge on his general awareness via training, alone.
Usually a good kick of the ball but I guess we'll see what he's like under pressure.

At least if it’s going to be as wet as they say it should really help our backline out and not effect us with our outs as much. Also I see little point of trying to get extra height playing Kennedy forward in these conditions, use his bigger body around the contest. Let our smaller forward ground players try to get an advantage over their less mobile defenders, the ball is going to be on the ground most of the day anyway. Cripps, Curnow, Kennedy and Setterfield are all supposed to offer some grunt so it’ll be interesting how they go against the more silky WC midfield in the rain.
A real character building game this for players like Setterfield, Kennedy, SPS even Fisher. Really looking forward to this game and think we will learn abit about the group today.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back