Upper Murray FL 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Word is a league wide merger is underway.šŸ˜²
There is a working group currently putting together a proposal to put to the league and individual clubs that pushes for one team to be created out of the upper Murray to be entered into the tdfl. This would mean disbanding the umfl as we know it. It has to be voted on at league level. All the info has been in the local paper and I believe thereā€™s a fb page with all the relevant info.

What do people think on here think? (Is there anyone left on here interested with everything thatā€™s going on with COVID/bushfire/jobless etc?)

There is a working group currently putting together a proposal to put to the league and individual clubs that pushes for one team to be created out of the upper Murray to be entered into the tdfl. This would mean disbanding the umfl as we know it. It has to be voted on at league level. All the info has been in the local paper and I believe thereā€™s a fb page with all the relevant info.

What do people think on here think? (Is there anyone left on here interested with everything thatā€™s going on with COVID/bushfire/jobless etc?)
I think it would be great for Upper Murray Football if the clubs can all agree to work together. The TDFL has 3 grades of junior football and lots of grades of junior netball so the opportunity for Upper Murray Kids will be bigger than it is now.
There is no doubt a much bigger travel commitment for juniors but not so much seniors as many of the Upper Murray Players are based in Albury Wodonga anyway.
If it is embraced by locals then the Home Games should be a huge day and the Upper Murray could seriously generate an ā€œUs against themā€ environment and build a brand that showcases what the UM has to offer.

I think it would be great for Upper Murray Football if the clubs can all agree to work together. The TDFL has 3 grades of junior football and lots of grades of junior netball so the opportunity for Upper Murray Kids will be bigger than it is now.
There is no doubt a much bigger travel commitment for juniors but not so much seniors as many of the Upper Murray Players are based in Albury Wodonga anyway.
If it is embraced by locals then the Home Games should be a huge day and the Upper Murray could seriously generate an ā€œUs against themā€ environment and build a brand that showcases what the UM has to offer.
Great idea in theory but the biggest hurdle with this merger is the clubs themselves, Corryong, Walwa and Feds are more likely to want it to happen but getting Cudgy over the line is the biggest problem. Bullioh are strong enough to go in by themselves but Tumba might look at combining with a Farrar league team. I'm sure they'll plenty of vocal opposition up there particularly due to excess netball numbers but it might require bringing the old netball comp back for the excess numbers to get a game. If they can get it together opposition clubs are going to hate the drive up there to play a game, a bit like going to Mitta in the middle of winter. Good luck to everyone having a crack at it.:thumbsu:

Great idea in theory but the biggest hurdle with this merger is the clubs themselves, Corryong, Walwa and Feds are more likely to want it to happen but getting Cudgy over the line is the biggest problem. Bullioh are strong enough to go in by themselves but Tumba might look at combining with a Farrar league team. I'm sure they'll plenty of vocal opposition up there particularly due to excess netball numbers but it might require bringing the old netball comp back for the excess numbers to get a game. If they can get it together opposition clubs are going to hate the drive up there to play a game, a bit like going to Mitta in the middle of winter. Good luck to everyone having a crack at it.:thumbsu:
I am not sure how it works with AFLNEB but I could see Cudgewa missing the boat if they donā€™t get onboard. If Feds and Corryong make the decision to merge And Bullioh go it alone then I am positive the AFL would be more than happy.

I believe Bullioh have to wait another year before they can apply to join the TDFL.
Only way they will get in is as a merged entity and I think they may have burnt that bridge with the other UMFNL teams by trying to leave last year.
Other than that option they could always go back to Wodonga Saints and put merger talks with them back on the table

I believe Bullioh have to wait another year before they can apply to join the TDFL.
Only way they will get in is as a merged entity and I think they may have burnt that bridge with the other UMFNL teams by trying to leave last year.
Other than that option they could always go back to Wodonga Saints and put merger talks with them back on the table
Bullioh will take their first opportunity to leave the umfl they get be that a merger with a tdfl club or entry in their own right. So in the next two years theyā€™re out. That leaves 4 clubs. 3 if feds say theyā€™ve had enough. So this is the reason behind the action being taken now. We can wait to see how things shake out or we can get ahead of the curve.

Iā€™d love to see things stay as they are. I love my club and the league, but the drop off in football playing numbers have been drastic over the last few years as well as crowds and volunteers. How is that going to change in the next few years?

There a bit in the border mail tomorrow. You can also keep up to date on the fb page Upper Murray fnc one vision.
Ok Old Kenny, there is talk of if the merger gets the go ahead and are granted permission to join that an Upper Murray Star who played O and M Footy could be Coach.
Darryn McKimmie be an Option?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ok Old Kenny, there is talk of if the merger gets the go ahead and are granted permission to join that an Upper Murray Star who played O and M Footy could be Coach.
No idea on that one rip. Iā€™m not privy to that info. Hopefully after the presentation to the league and clubs we have a better view of things.

But ideally yes someone like him or one of the raiders kids you would love to take it on. Or a Sam Cross who also has ties to the area. Iā€™m just spitballing though. You have any others?

No idea on that one rip. Iā€™m not privy to that info. Hopefully after the presentation to the league and clubs we have a better view of things.

But ideally yes someone like him or one of the raiders kids you would love to take it on. Or a Sam Cross who also has ties to the area. Iā€™m just spitballing though. You have any others?
Brayden Carey?

Dobby Jordan, Neville Nugent, Paul Nugent

Hello guys been awhile since i've been on here.Good to see everyone having something to say about the league and what direction they could go.In a perfect world we would all love the league to keep going but for this to happen and the league to be viable it needs at least 6 teams [senior ressies an U16 or U15] and we all know over the last 3 seasons clubs have been finding it hard to get players loosing our U16 3yrs ago walwa struggling to field ressies and seniors with a few other clubs finding it hard some weeks .There has been alot of history between all the clubs up there which is hard for some people to let go but a hard discision has to be made.We need to look where our kids kids are going to play and if the form guide is anything to go by that is not looking good.
My opinion is to GO to the T.F.N.L. they have all grades create a whole new chapter in the U.M.F.N.L. with one united side that i have no dout will be very successful which will also keep all your young footballers which are now going to play for other clubs in that league you get more volunteers to help. Some people want to know what name the club should be and what colours.How about Upper Murray Horseman or Eagles there are others and just to get the club up and going why not use the rep jumper colours of the upper murray league.If all clubs agree to merge and form one this will also open the door for Bullioh to reapply for entry into that league which in my opinion should of been granted when they applied earlier .Not every club in the T.F.N.L. have enough players either as well .Two extra teams in the T.F.N.L. will also strenghten that league just in case some clubs go under them selves .I'm a firm believer this club could come one of the most successful in that league.Don't know the out come of last nights meeting so we will just have to wait an see what the verdict is.yes there is some spelling mistakes.Cheers everyone

The decision has been made. The majority of clubs voted at a meeting last night to continue as is next year with a minimum of 4 clubs. Feds are the team yet to commit after fully supporting the ā€œone visionā€ model. So my question is to the good people of this forum. What are your predictions for next year? Will recruiting be easier or harder if thereā€™s only 4 clubs? Will your support change after the year off or the issues that have been unearthed due to the one vision proposal?

The decision has been made. The majority of clubs voted at a meeting last night to continue as is next year with a minimum of 4 clubs. Feds are the team yet to commit after fully supporting the ā€œone visionā€ model. So my question is to the good people of this forum. What are your predictions for next year? Will recruiting be easier or harder if thereā€™s only 4 clubs? Will your support change after the year off or the issues that have been unearthed due to the one vision proposal?
I donā€™t think clubs will field sides every week. My guess is we will see regular forfeits.

Well now that a decision has been made wether we agree with it or not I'll support the 4 clubs what brand of football will be played will be interesting. Most clubs should have enough players from under 16 ressies and seniors just in local content so you shouldn't have to do to much recruiting if any maybe bullioh only, remember this is about the locals been able to get a game of footy each Saturday. Let's just see how it plays out

On SM-A515F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Good luck to the 4 clubs, my thoughts are the league will be cooked by July. No one from Albury/Wodonga will bother playing in a Mickey Mouse competition thatā€™s only being run to keep a few locals happy. Bullioh would be better off merging with Mitta or Wodonga Saints. Chopper 2 chances of having a 2ā€™s comp up there. šŸ˜‚

Remove this Banner Ad

Back