2020 best 22 discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

make it 5 for 5 and include Sturt imo

don’t think there’s any particularly harsh delistings there, cam would arguably deserve a * as his health issues this year have seemingly prevented him proving himself
I could go 5 years, but maybe Sturt can be announced a week prior or something.

I'm pretty stuck on the whole 4 4 4 thing

I could go 5 years, but maybe Sturt can be announced a week prior or something.

I'm pretty stuck on the whole 4 4 4 thing
can I suggest you go pitch that to the club now?

Hey. Its time for some optimism. Logue's listed at 6 to 8 so he'll come back in 6.
Hogan will play a few weeks as a defender but then move forward and dominate.
S. Hill to dominate on a wing after playing some games in a row finally
That leaves our best 22
B: Ryan Logue Wilson
HB: Conca Cox Hughes
C: Aish Serong S.Hill
R: Darcy Fyfe Brayshaw
HF; Walters Tabs Mundy
FF: Lobb Hogan Henry

I/C
Cerra, Bewley, Sturt, Crowden

Round 1 next year will be this team with our new strength and conditioning team. That teams not even allowing for any recruits. Im not sure if Mundy plays on so he's out for now.

B: Logue Hamling Wilson
HB: Ryan A.Pearce Young
C: S.Hill Fyfe Aish
R: Darcy Serong Brayshaw
HF: Henry Tabs Sturt
FF Walters Hogan Lobb

I/C Tucker, Cerra, Hughes, Acres

Last edited:
I like the adding of two years to see where the list is at in 2 years (rd 1 2022)

Ryan Hamling* Logue
Young Pearce* Wilson
Aish Serong Cerra
Walters Hogan Henry
Sturt Tabs Lobb

Darcy AB Fyfe

Tucker Watson Hughes Frederick

Depth already on the list: Duman, Cox, Meek, Acres, Conca, Switta*, Schultz, Bewly, Crowden, Valente, Blakely, Pina/Thomas

Projected delistings by then: McCarthy, North, Banfield, Butters, Carter, Giro, O'Reilly, Dixon, Matera, Colyer, Pina/Thomas

Retirements: Mundy, Hill

*Could be forced retirement due to injury
Bolded I can see asking for a trade for opportunity
Italic will be based on list sizes and NGA spots

Some of the delistings might be harsh but that's the AFL reality and if we need the list to get down to a flat forty its going to be even more. Feel free to come at me
Delistings actually spot on. Colyer and Matera MAY get a chance for next season. The unfortunate for Butters, North and Giro are they’re unknown talents. Dixon is the one that bothers me. Handy forward, smart but unlike Tabs, just doesn’t work hard enough.

Yeah. I feel your pain.
Watching Young, Sturt, Henry, Logue every week would be great. Those 4 are huge for our future. Least favourite letters for any freo supporter TBA.

All I want is to be able to watch our Magnificent 7 each week: Cerra, Brayshaw, Serong, Logue, Young, Henry and Sturt.

Hey. Its time for some optimism. Logue's listed at 6 to 8 so he'll come back in 6.
Hogan will play a few weeks as a defender but then move forward and dominate.
S. Hill to dominate on a wing after playing some games in a row finally
That leaves our best 22
B: Ryan Logue Wilson
HB: Conca Cox Hughes
C: Aish Serong S.Hill
R: Darcy Fyfe Brayshaw
HF; Walters Tabs Mundy
FF: Lobb Hogan Henry

I/C
Cerra, Bewley, Sturt, Crowden

Round 1 next year will be this team with our new strength and conditioning team. That teams not even allowing for any recruits. Im not sure if Mundy plays on so he's out for now.

B: Logue Hamling Wilson
HB: Ryan A.Pearce Young
C: S.Hill Fyfe Aish
R: Darcy Serong Brayshaw
HF: Henry Tabs Sturt
FF Walters Hogan Lobb

I/C Tucker, Cerra, Hughes, Acres
What is it that Acres is going to do during the off season that upgrades him from outside this year’s best 22?

Delistings actually spot on. Colyer and Matera MAY get a chance for next season. The unfortunate for Butters, North and Giro are they’re unknown talents. Dixon is the one that bothers me. Handy forward, smart but unlike Tabs, just doesn’t work hard enough.

Can’t see them turfing the Category B rookie list completely. It’d be basically shutting Irishmen and players from other sports out of the game.

Either they’d need to find another strategy to get these guys into the game or they need to keep the Category B rookie list, maybe in a reduced form.

The future of the Category B rookie will very much be the key to Butters, Thomas and Carter keeping their spots on the list. I don’t think any have done enough to get themselves on a list of 40, however, the club will probably choose to keep at least some of them if they can be retained as Category B rookies. How many of them probably depends on both the AFL’s decision and also how the club rates other non-National Draft NGA prospects this year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think eventually Cat B will be the only type of rookie but will probably be renamed.

Cat A will go and I reckon it will be 38/40 + Cat B.

Hope it’s 40 rather than 38 tbh. Most clubs use between 35 and 40 different players in a season.

The questions regarding Category B rookie list will be:
1. The size of it. Can easily see the AFL dropping it to one player per club tbh.
2. Salary cap implications. May now be 100% within the cap. Believe it’s less atm.
3. Who’s allowed to be on it? I can easily see it eventually being for just Irish guys and blokes from other sports.

Personally I think having one spot per club for a guy from overseas or another sport and it being fully within the salary cap is the way to go. I’d allow NGA rookies to develop in the State leagues with them still being linked to clubs after their draft year.

Obviously I’m saying the above without wanting these changes to affect the guys we already have on the list.

Hope it’s 40 rather than 38 tbh. Most clubs use between 35 and 40 different players in a season.

The questions regarding Category B rookie list will be:
1. The size of it. Can easily see the AFL dropping it to one player per club tbh.
2. Salary cap implications. May now be 100% within the cap. Believe it’s less atm.
3. Who’s allowed to be on it? I can easily see it eventually being for just Irish guys and blokes from other sports.

Personally I think having one spot per club for a guy from overseas or another sport and it being fully within the salary cap is the way to go. I’d allow NGA rookies to develop in the State leagues with them still being linked to clubs after their draft year.

Obviously I’m saying the above without wanting these changes to affect the guys we already have on the list.
Yeah I think 40 available players is necessary.

They'll keep the Cat B stuff because of growing the game and I don't think they will change much about it. Possibly even allow more here if the main list gets cut.

Would rather see 2 Melbourne perennial losing financial basket case clubs gone. Everything else 2 stay as is.
To have 8 Melbourne teams & 8 non Melbourne teams would mean the beginning of the end to the vafl & the beginning of a true national league.
Spread any of those good players out from those 2 teams out & your all games will also go up in quality .
Might not happen but if I was king for a day.

Would rather see 2 Melbourne perennial losing financial basket case clubs gone. Everything else 2 stay as is.
To have 8 Melbourne teams & 8 non Melbourne teams would mean the beginning of the end to the vafl & the beginning of a true national league.
Spread any of those good players out from those 2 teams out & your all games will also go up in quality .
Might not happen but if I was king for a day.
Great in theory but, as we've seen in the past, these rusted on supporters don't let their teams vanish into the night without burning down a city.

This would be my personal best 22 provided everybody was fit:

B: Logue, Hamling, Wilson
HB: Young, Pearce, Ryan
C: Aish, Fyfe, Cerra
HF: Walters, Hogan, Sturt
FF: Lobb, Taberner, Henry
FOL: Darcy, Serong, Brayshaw
INT: Tucker, Frederick, Watson, Mundy

Gee, if SHill is fit he is best 22 easily, but as you say, it is your personal best 22.

Watson ahead of Hughes is a big call, Hughes has been pretty good this year but otherwise I like it (as well as the Hill change)

Too bad we will likely never see this team on the park =(

Good talent but I would have to replace Frederick or Watson with Hughes after the amazing job he has done this year. Conca stiff as well.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back