A-Leagues & Football Australia General Chat and News Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Revealed: Football’s bold plan to win back Aussie fans
Joe Barton, The Daily Telegraph

A stunning 99 per cent of football fans believe the game needs a major overhaul in Australia, giving FFA boss James Johnson a mandate to carry out his bold vision – but alarmingly, nearly a third need serious convincing that this won’t be another disappointing anticlimax.
When Johnson revealed his blueprint for transforming the sport in this country two months ago, he was met with a healthy level of skepticism of the document’s unashamedly lofty goals.
And naturally, for fans who have been wooed – and then let down – by similarly optimistic plans in the past, the task of convincing the wider football community that this is not another false down is a tricky one.

That message came through loud and clear this week when FFA officials sifted through the 3100 community responses to online surveys discussing the merits of the XI Principles.
similars

Data obtained by News Corp revealed a stunning 99 per cent believe Australian football needs transformation, while 31 per cent of respondents believe “nothing ever happens” from these big-picture plans – and a third remain sceptical about what Australian football will look like in 15 years.

Far from being disillusioned by the figures, however, Johnson believes it is the hard proof he needs to know he’s got the backing of the public to make bold changes in the coming years – including a domestic transfer system, a long-awaited promotion-relegation system and A-League rule adjustments around foreign players, to encourage the growth of young Australian prospects.

Johnson has labelled the introduction of a game-changing transfer system as a top priority, and revealed what a second division competition could look like.

“I didn’t come back here just to administer the sport. What was interesting to me was really transforming it,” Johnson told News Corp.

“That’s important to me personally, otherwise I wouldn’t have come back from a top European club.

“Seeing that 99 per cent of the people who took part in the surveys believe football needs transformation, that for me gives me a lot of confidence that we’re on the right track.”

Part of Johnson’s aspirations include having the Socceroos become a top-15 team in the world, the Matildas becoming world or Olympic champions, and building the A-League into a top three league in Asia.

He understands why people are more than a little skeptical about how realistic his vision is.

“The only way (we can convince people) is by evidence,” he explains.

“I’m not surprised to see that statistic. I know these things, or similar things, have been done in the past.

“I’m not aware of any process that’s gone as broad or as deep in terms of engagement as this one.

“I think as we now steer the ship from the what and the why, to the who, how and when, which is already happening – that’s where we are at the moment – you’re going to see practical implementation of different measures that are in the XI Principles.”

Johnson points to the recent announcements, such as Trevor Morgan taking over as the National Technical Director, as evidence that the wheels are already in motion.

TRANSFER SYSTEM
The lack of a domestic transfer system has been a source of frustration for years, leading to one-year deals and a lack of job security for players and, for clubs, little reward for developing talent.

“There’s nothing stopping it. It’s just a prioritisation at the moment – but it’s one of the top agenda points,” Johnson says.

“I don’t see any real challenges with it. Because ultimately it is a system that works. It’s been tested.

“And it’s a system that allows the Australian game to hardwire itself into international football.

“So naturally you’ll see players contracted for longer periods and you’ll see more transfer fees coming into the sport. I think that’s a huge step forward.”

In the past week, Socceroos stars Trent Sainsbury and James Jeggo complete transfer deals in Europe, while Tom Rogic has a $7m Qatar move lined up – all of which would benefit Australian clubs, with a strong transfer market in place due to sell-on fees inserted in contracts.

“So when there is movement of players between European clubs, there’s usually a trickle-down effect between negotiated sell-on fees, training compensation or solidarity payments,” he said.

“I’m not so sure the clubs across the country, or FFA in the past, have actually understood these sorts of benefits.”

The bolded...

Ambitious but not impossible with the right paths put in place.

Last edited:
Impossible without the money. It is as simple as saying if they can get the right investment/Government funding into the league, then his vision goes from impossible to improbable but a chance nonetheless. The product needs to improve massively and the FFA needs to get the fans back onside, admit their previous * ups in relation to the fans and their treatment, and entice them through the gates again.

Can anyone here honestly tell me that Grant Brebner's appointment as #MVFC gaffer full time is an extremely foolish, if not tinpot decision ?

Victory hardly set the World on fire after the Bubble A League resumed.

Meh.. have a look at the managers of the the other clubs? Apart from Popavic and Corica (who really isn't that experience and was pretty much gifted a squad) all the other managers are pretty much in the some boat as Brebner with coaching experience in the league. Mombaerts at City is now the only overseas coach and who knows how long he'll stick around?

I think it's a good thing tbh giving young Australian coaches a chance even through Brebner isn't Australia he's been through our system and done all his credentials here. Sure its a ballsy decision but he knows the club and it's culture and that seemed to work with Muscat who was also unproven at the time of his appointment, I know brebs is no Musky so I guess time will tell through if he can make the step up. I am confident he'll get all the support from the club he needs and hopefully it works out if not well Victory can't get any lower really.

Last edited:
Meh.. have a look at the managers of the the other clubs? Apart from Popavic and Corica (who really isn't that experience and was pretty much gifted a squad) all the other managers are pretty much in the some boat as Brebner with coaching experience in the league. Mombaerts at City is now the only overseas coach and who knows how long he'll stick around?

I think it's a good thing tbh give young Australian coaches a chance even through Brebner isn't Australia he's been through our system, Sure its a ballsy decision but he knows the club and it's culture, seemed to work with Muscat who was also unproven at the time of his appointment, through brebs is no Musky time will tell through if he can make the step up I am confident he'll get all the suppoprt from the the club he needs and hopefully it works out if not well Victory can't get any lower really.

Mombaerts will stick around as long as cfg want him to. Unlike Joyce he knows the system cfg want and he can coach it. Corica has been given the squad and the money to back him up (similar to what occurred with muscat (mvc scouts failed this year, like the roar ~ 2 years ago). Jets should float to the top if the current structure continues. Wsw will likely be mid table.

Remember when Victory wanted Diamanti as a marquee some years ago and the FFA said he didn't fit the bill. Peak FFA.

Best player on the pitch. Most entertaining off it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So, this article goes on about a lot. So i will give it a go summarising all points.

• More than just the Canberra team that has been reported today. As would be expected those ex nsl clubs and bids like team 11 are interested. All treated in confidence and I guess we will see how it goes. No actual mention of intersted parties.
  • Macarthur are going to be training at a new complex in Fairfield. Were going to be base at uws in Campletown but that has been delayed, no word if they will eventually move to the Campletown facility, but they will be playing at Campletown stadium (good relationship with the council and really good deal apparently).
  • The Charles Perkins academy (to be mentored by Frank Farina as part of Macarthur fc, and announced by the former ceo) appears to have shut up shop.
  • No confirmed venue for Western United next year. Rumours are that they will play at knights stadium.

About time. Does anyone know if the article says more than $4 million to buy a license or the mariners?

Hopefully the mariners aren’t going anywhere and Canberra can have their own license if it gets to that. Time to take a stand as a comp to not lose or relocate any more clubs. Of course some poor results in recent seasons for them but it’s a shame if this is what it has to come to for the struggler. Hoping there’s still investment interest from another party which can keep them there in my opinion.

Remember when Victory wanted Diamanti as a marquee some years ago and the FFA said he didn't fit the bill. Peak FFA.

Best player on the pitch. Most entertaining off it.
Because they (gallop and Co) hadn't heard of him and had to google him therefore he couldn't be that good.
Played at euros 2012 for Italy though.
No wonder our game is ****ed

How is Western United's fully funded stadium coming along?

In their original winning bid Western said they would have the $150 million venue up and running for their third season in the league, due to kick off in the spring of 2021.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back