Health Depression

Jun 19, 2011
MCG
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I'm not depressed, but my fear of death is becoming a bit crippling. I spend far too much time pondering eternal nothingness.

If I believed in an afterlife things would be a lot easier. Sadly I can't trick myself into believing in such things.
Does it make you feel better knowing that your body will live on forever in other forms? All your atoms will be turned in to magnificent natural wonders over time immemorial.

While you're conscious in this form, just make the most of life. Difficult to do during lockdown admittedly.

Angus Young

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 3, 2008
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I know this might be miniscule compared to what others are going through but I just needed to tell someone how poorly I was feeling because tbh I am struggling.

it may to others but its not to you atm.... depression is a campaigner and it is triggered in everyone differently.

hang in there man

Jan 29, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Does it make you feel better knowing that your body will live on forever in other forms? All your atoms will be turned in to magnificent natural wonders over time immemorial.

While you're conscious in this form, just make the most of life. Difficult to do during lockdown admittedly.
I hadn't thought about it like that, it is better than thinking of it as complete nothingness.

I am hoping to make more of my life once this crisis is over, I think being stuck on pause in what should be my "prime" (but wasn't, pre-covid) isn't helping.

I just think of it like...

Do you know when you're sleeping? or all of time before you were born?

On SM-G925I using BigFooty.com mobile app
Yeah I imagine it's like the time before I was born. At least sleep has nice dreams.

TheMightyEagles

All Australian
Aug 8, 2010
AFL Club
West Coast
I'm not depressed, but my fear of death is becoming a bit crippling. I spend far too much time pondering eternal nothingness.

If I believed in an afterlife things would be a lot easier. Sadly I can't trick myself into believing in such things.

The way I think about it is, when you pass away, you are no longer conscious and so eternity feels like nothing more than a moment.

Jun 19, 2011
MCG
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I hadn't thought about it like that, it is better than thinking of it as complete nothingness.

I am hoping to make more of my life once this crisis is over, I think being stuck on pause in what should be my "prime" (but wasn't, pre-covid) isn't helping.

Yeah I imagine it's like the time before I was born. At least sleep has nice dreams.
The world is your oyster once we're out of lockdown. I guess you could start thinking about things that are within your control. Start planning things you can do once we are free again, to get to where you want to go in life.

Jan 29, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
The world is your oyster once we're out of lockdown. I guess you could start thinking about things that are within your control. Start planning things you can do once we are free again, to get to where you want to go in life.
My main goal is to find a partner to share my life with. I'm very independent, but lockdown has shown me that I don't want to be alone forever.

Thanks for taking the time to reply & show care.

AngryRanga

Yo Yeah
Sep 6, 2013
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Toby Greene, Man City, Timberwolves

My go-to thought is that the chances of me being born were ridiculously low. The sheer chance of my parents meeting, getting together, some sperm winning the race etc., is a trillion to one when you include all the variables. I don't believe that any child between my parents would have been "me", philosophically. This always makes me feel more grateful for the chance of living at all.

Jun 19, 2011
MCG
AFL Club
Hawthorn
My go to:

images - 2020-08-09T184618.664.jpeg

I’ve mentioned previously that I’ve had depression for a long time for me it’s a roller coaster ride that I never get off, I have ups and downs. My wife travelled to South Africa about 8 years for a conference and they had a guest speaker called Robin Banks who is a motivational speaker basing his inspiration on the Mind Power movement. My wife came back a changed woman with a great outlook on life. Typical me always sees the negative and just brushed off what she was taught. Fast forward to about three years ago when I was struggling and the opportunity came for us to see this Robin Banks along with his mentor John Kehoe in New Zealand. I felt I needed to do this so we flew over for the three day mind power conference. Well it blew me away, I learnt so many things especially about how the mind works and how I can actually be more in control of my thoughts and feelings. This course changed my mental health for the better and even though I’m still on the roller coaster ride I always find myself going back to my mind power notes and getting myself back on track. So much of my depression is not necessarily a chemical imbalance but simply that shitty voice in my head taking over and controlling me. Mind power helps me to change all that. Check out this video which I always come back to when I’m feeling stressed. Hopefully it might help someone here make it through another day.

Hi mate, it’s ok to be fearful of things but obviously you’re now at a point where you’re letting those thoughts in your head control everything. Good news is you can also change this and you most definitely have it in you to do this. I’ve just posted in this thread a video from John Kehoe about stresses and anxieties , I reckon you should check it out. Our mind is a funny bugger alwAys talking to us, we don’t have to listen to our thoughts though. And when you start taking control you start changing your life. There’s a lot of different videos from John Kehoe on YouTube and if you like him and what he has to say there are books too. It might not be for you but it’s worth a shot right? A 6 minute video could help change your life for the better. All the best.

Jan 29, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Hi mate, it’s ok to be fearful of things but obviously you’re now at a point where you’re letting those thoughts in your head control everything. Good news is you can also change this and you most definitely have it in you to do this. I’ve just posted in this thread a video from John Kehoe about stresses and anxieties , I reckon you should check it out. Our mind is a funny bugger alwAys talking to us, we don’t have to listen to our thoughts though. And when you start taking control you start changing your life. There’s a lot of different videos from John Kehoe on YouTube and if you like him and what he has to say there are books too. It might not be for you but it’s worth a shot right? A 6 minute video could help change your life for the better. All the best.
Thank you, that was a good video. I'll see if I can find some more of his stuff.

One thing that always tastes more nicer than it usually does normally is Nutella when I'm really depressed. Can eat three quarters of the jar in one sitting.
I’m more of a bag of Doritos or box of shapes if I’m feeling crap

I've noticed they're putting more of the bbq on the shapes lately. Makes it way more delicious.
Yeah you need to drink a lot of water after a box coz of how salty your mouth is

I’ve mentioned previously that I’ve had depression for a long time for me it’s a roller coaster ride that I never get off, I have ups and downs. My wife travelled to South Africa about 8 years for a conference and they had a guest speaker called Robin Banks who is a motivational speaker basing his inspiration on the Mind Power movement. My wife came back a changed woman with a great outlook on life. Typical me always sees the negative and just brushed off what she was taught. Fast forward to about three years ago when I was struggling and the opportunity came for us to see this Robin Banks along with his mentor John Kehoe in New Zealand. I felt I needed to do this so we flew over for the three day mind power conference. Well it blew me away, I learnt so many things especially about how the mind works and how I can actually be more in control of my thoughts and feelings. This course changed my mental health for the better and even though I’m still on the roller coaster ride I always find myself going back to my mind power notes and getting myself back on track. So much of my depression is not necessarily a chemical imbalance but simply that shitty voice in my head taking over and controlling me. Mind power helps me to change all that. Check out this video which I always come back to when I’m feeling stressed. Hopefully it might help someone here make it through another day.

That is powerful mate. Thanks for sharing that.

That is powerful mate. Thanks for sharing that.
I might share some of my notes I took from the seminar, it may help someone. So many of our thoughts have just become a habit. The way we think is a habit, when you do the same thing constantly you start doing it without even being aware. I’m the type of person who always sees the negative first it’s a bad habit I’ve fallen into so straight away in any given situation I’m bringing things down. But like any habit you can change, you just have to catch yourself and flip your thoughts around.

Jan 21, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

Don't think this will help but I lost my old man suddenly when I was twenty. One of the hardest but most settling things I did was view the body afterwards. Since that day I'm no longer scared of it. He wasn't there, it was just peaceful, no pain, no suffering anymore.

Sep 21, 2004
Adel - SA - Aust - Earth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Norwood & Liverpool.
Don't think this will help but I lost my old man suddenly when I was twenty. One of the hardest but most settling things I did was view the body afterwards. Since that day I'm no longer scared of it. He wasn't there, it was just peaceful, no pain, no suffering anymore.
Yeah Im the same mate. i was 23. Im glad it was quick coz Ive seen people struggle for years living like vegetables and I know he wouldve hated that. When I go I want it to be instant... but hopefully not for like 50 years lol

Interesting. Curious though... Does punting also help with your depression because it gives you a dopamine kick that perhaps your brain could be lacking normally? Or perhaps a fix for boredom.... Seriously, lockdown or no lockdown I know about the Adelaide rut etc

I don't know of course just putting it out there....food for thought.
I can tell you first hand that gambling can hurt you.

if you suffer from depression and get hooked on the punt then imo its a recipe for disaster.

Stay away (imo)

Agreed, especially in situations like this where u potentially have no escape from, it can be an absolute recipe for disaster for some who can’t control it

No surprise it’s one of the only industries in AUS that hasn’t suffered as a result from covid.

Pretty sad

Correct, gambling can hurt you and hurt you even worse than you are feeling.

I like to think what I do is Punt. That is take educated estimates of what I think will happen and place a bet on that event. There is a subtle difference.

With punting, I dont need to bet, but I will bet if I see a favourable outcome to my advantage. The analytical side of punting on footy allows me to focus my energies into footy. It also involves a great deal of discipline. Im not perfect but Im getting better in terms of being disciplined.

I can go for months without betting during the footy off-season (nor do I bet on every game either) even though I love and follow cricket and soccer passionately. I dont seem to see any advantages in betting on these sports.

To answer the earlier question, I dont get a rush from the wins or when I place bets or feeling depressed or worse when I lose. I do find it hilarious though sometimes following online posters, winning or losing. Make of that what you will. lol.

Back