Positives and Negatives vs Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

May 5, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast
Eagles at Optus this year.

Won the free kick count twice, drawn twice, lost once (2-2-1).

+3 differential at Optus on the season. A massive 0.6 extra frees per game.

At this point nothing less than a Royal Commission into this flagrant cheating is acceptable.

How about that passage where we went from 19 points down to 11 points up and it was 3 free kicks to 2.

Outrageous!

Jiggyman

Premiership Player
Apr 1, 2010
AFL Club
West Coast
Q2 Nic & stoppage connection part 1/2 (Q1 gifs page 3):

nic1.gif

nic2.gif

nic3.gif

nic4.gif

nic5.gif

Last edited:

Yamumluvsbigcox

Cancelled
Oct 22, 2012
AFL Club
West Coast
SPS holding the ball free and resulting 50 was a total joke. If that was one of our players this whole board would be ropeable.
tbf he got wrapped up by darling and didn't even try . He knew it was futile darling knew it was futile . Darling had 25kgs and had him tight .

But the umps expected SPS to flop around like a caught salmon , wriggling and thrusting even though he was stuck fast .

The rule is bloody stupid me and my mate were laughing at how stupid it has got .

Don't know what the 50 was for .

UseR2006

Club Legend
Aug 2, 2020
AFL Club
West Coast
tbf he got wrapped up by darling and didn't even try . He knew it was futile darling knew it was futile . Darling had 25kgs and had him tight .

But the umps expected SPS to flop around like a caught salmon , wriggling and thrusting even though he was stuck fast .

The rule is bloody stupid me and my mate were laughing at how stupid it has got .

Don't know what the 50 was for .

Probably pointed at the umpire...

DickDunn

Premiership Player
Sep 8, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
A lot gets made of Nic Nat's dominance out of the middle, and no doubt it has been hugely influential. But I liked that our five goal burst in Q3 showed our ability to get it done in different ways.

1) Duggan intercepts on a wing, precise chain ends with JK leading mark and goal
2) Waterman and Ah Chee's forward pressure worries Carlton out of it, Waterman lowers the eyes > JK goal
3) NN wins it out of the middle, Shuey inside-50, Cripps HTB free and goal
4) NN - Shuey - Kelly - Darling classic Eagles goal out of the middle
5) Carlton turnover on the wing, penetrating kick by Hurn, scrambled inside-50 by Sheed, Allen most definitely going for goal but inadvertently setting up Cameron unmanned in the goal square

ROYAL EAGLE

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 21, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
East Perth
Positives: Sheed and Duggan.
I have been lukewarm on Duggan for his whole career but the last two weeks he has been in AA form. Could turn out to be an absolute gun. Has surprised me in a good way.

On SM-G920I using BigFooty.com mobile app

Duggan when he had the ball was good.
His defending not so good.
Had 4 goals kicked on him by a young WA boy in Fisher.

Being at the game, Tom Barrass defending was putrid.
Dont mind him going for his marks should of probably spoiled a few, but that
is not where i have a problem with.
His defending against Casboult was very poor, gave up on the lead at least three times.
We are lucky Casboult cant kick.
The basics of defending standing side by side putting a arm across he just doesnt do,
gives a free run and jump at the ball for his opponent.
Barrass leaks goals I hope we get more games into young Edwards as he is a better long term prospect than Barrass.
Barrass tries to play to his strengths so much doesnt do the basics of defending, very very arrogant footballer.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jun 24, 2009
In your dreams
AFL Club
West Coast
Duggan when he had the ball was good.
His defending not so good.
Had 4 goals kicked on him by a young WA boy in Fisher.

Being at the game, Tom Barrass defending was putrid.
Dont mind him going for his marks should of probably spoiled a few, but that
is not where i have a problem with.
His defending against Casboult was very poor, gave up on the lead at least three times.
We are lucky Casboult cant kick.
The basics of defending standing side by side putting a arm across he just doesnt do,
gives a free run and jump at the ball for his opponent.
Barrass leaks goals I hope we get more games into young Edwards as he is a better long term prospect than Barrass.
Barrass tries to play to his strengths so much doesnt do the basics of defending, very very arrogant footballer.
McGovern is far far worse at that than Barrass.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

THE A5

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 26, 2020
AFL Club
West Coast
McGovern is far far worse at that than Barrass.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
Yep. I still remember a game against the Sydney last year where he wanted to play his own way against Buddy and it hurt the team. The previous year he actually did a decent job against Buddy as a stopper.

Those two actually need each other tho cause they cover each and allow them to fly for those grabs.

Mulldogg

Premiership Player
Apr 22, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool FC
+ Positives
- Fought back to overcome a decent points deficit against a side that certainly isn’t the worst.

- Nic Nat’s silver service.

- Kelly clean in close again.

- JK’s pick up at speed and then the dish to Sir Dom Sheed.

- Sheeda had a blinder today.

Neutral

- Duggan had a blazing start, took some good intercept marks and was composed with ball in hand but he gave Fisher way too much leg rope and got torched conceding 4 goals the other way.

- Negatives

- took a bit too long to realise that the Blues had again wheeled out the same game plan with a couple loose in the backline as they have the last 3 or 4 times we’ve played them.

- Ryan, Cameron and Allen all relatively quiet. Only Allen worked himself into the contest towards the latter part of the game.

- Umpiring was pretty ordinary overall but we definitely got the rub of the green. First SPS HTB was very ordinary but not much worse than the Yeo one earlier which led to the Blues first goal. Unfortunately the narrative out of the Vic-centric AFL media this week will be all about West Coast being given a rails run from the umps in games at Optus. FWIW the second SPS HTB where he tried to back out of the contest and scan quickly for an option was HTB every day of the week in a tight, in close situation like that. Duggan handball spoil OOB should have been deliberate to the strict letter of the law.

Aug 31, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Well done WC

Umpiring was poor both ways, no advantage to either side

Strong, well balanced team, should finish top 4 and give the flag a real shake

Good luck for the rest of the year

It was definitely a poorly umpired game, befitting the season unfortunately.

The Blues pressure and intensity was outstanding in the first half, definitely making some good strides forward 👍 Fisher was superb, you guys have missed him this year no doubt! Hoping for a victory over Fremantle next week :)

Nov 13, 2015
In Transit
AFL Club
Carlton
It was definitely a poorly umpired game, befitting the season unfortunately.

The Blues pressure and intensity was outstanding in the first half, definitely making some good strides forward 👍 Fisher was superb, you guys have missed him this year no doubt! Hoping for a victory over Fremantle next week :)

Have always admired WC, professional club. Get Williams in, will be a jet

Beating the purple would please both sets of supporters

THE A5

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 26, 2020
AFL Club
West Coast
For all the Hype Dusty gets for his kicking, the media just seem to gloss over Shuey's kicking each week. Genuinely elite right foot and that left of his is better than some left footers of the comp. Doesn't have the penetration that Dusty has but probably is better deft touch.

Also Shuey/Kelly/Sheed and even Yeo are easily the best kicking midfield unit.

Luuuc

Premiership Player
Jun 26, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Wildcats, Perth Lynx
- Umpiring was pretty ordinary overall but we definitely got the rub of the green.
We absolutely did. And most of the damage wasn't undeserved frees that went our way, it was frees that should have gone Carlton's way but weren't paid. We got away with some shockers and I have no idea why, especially considering that the Eagles:Opposition fans ratio today felt more even than a lot of Freo home derbies, so it wasn't even noise of affirmation to blame. Just plain ol' f*cked umpiring.

- Where the hell was the DJ today? I though there was the most miniscule chance this season of hearing Sweet Caroline over the PA system and the (hopefully) loud crowd participation element of it. Somehow Shep snaps one from the pocket, and .... silence. 😠 That gets a hearty West Coast BOOOOO from me.

- Jake missing the opportunity to bring the house down with a late goal on the move. A beauty that wasn't finished off. Great game by him though.

+/- Ryan was indeed quiet as many have mentioned but I didn't actually think he was that bad. He still worked his butt off to apply pressure and he plays the best proactive defence of our forward group.

A good share of positives today, but the criticisms over our ability with a slippery ball remain.

Also now that I've watched the TV version as well:
- Basil you still suck. Nice local knowledge with the weather mate.
+ Daisy Pearce. I consistently enjoy the insights she chips in with.
+ Too much ain't enough Nic Nat love to satisfy me, but they gave it a good crack today. All of it thoroughly deserved.

Back