Bevo out

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Name someone who is willing to come and take over from Bevo who will be better than him. Anyone?

Perhaps we need some changes with the people around him, but I can’t understand the calls for Bevo’s head. Just cannot.

How can you say?

The 5 last premiership coaches are Hardwick, Simpson, Bevo, Clarkson, and Longmire.

They were all “unknown” assistant coaches before getting their go.

Is it just me in thinking this season still has a bit to play out?

We are in ninth place not 16th !!!!!

I would say there is one team left to play that we have no chance against and that is West Coast.

Not saying we will win 5 of the 6 but who knows with Dunkley and Naughton getting games under their belt and Hunter back hopefully ???
agree. a lot of people on here giving up very easily. Wouldn't want to play footy beside em.

If we can make the finals it's a win, get some more good experience in to the side.

How can you say?

The 5 last premiership coaches are Hardwick, Simpson, Bevo, Clarkson, and Longmire.

compared to the unknown coaches that have come in and done stuff all, it's a small club. I wouldn't be ditching one from there that quickly.

How can you say?

There are things that aren’t quite right at the moment, but Bevo is not one of them...

I have said since 2017 and the start of this puzzling musical chairs in coaching roles that kept changing with no new people. Enough. Did they think they were being clever?

Bevo should stay but not the support staff.

In a season like no other each club puts itself our there each week and the coach and players must own their performance. Some posters believe this unique season does not matter and we should just forget about it. I am not one of those and believe we have had an the equal opportunity to perform with all other teams.

Unfortunately, I have found myself venting (maybe I caught CO-VENT) on big footy more than I have before.
The reasons are :

Not being able to go games I have had no time to reflect on a poor game on the way home
Covid restrictions are getting to all Victorians
Expectation were high after a good trade period, good finish to last season and perceived good list

However, I find the biggest frustration is team selection going into games with only 1 out form key forward, the selection of Gowers, Gardner and Roarke Smith and no back of Tim English.

I obviously either over- rated our list or where the list was in terms of development. Certainly the injury to Naughton did not help but all clubs get injuries. It appears we displayed where we were at as a team in the first quarter against the pies. We have had the odd good performance but we have had a number of shockers.

I am a Bevo fan but his team selection astounds me. I know he is not only person that selects the team but he has the final say. Like some of the other posters the coaching panel needs an overhaul with someone like a Neil Balme as a voice of reason. Stick with Bevo and restructure the coaching panel.

The talent with a bit tweaking and experience is there we just need Bevo to get the most out of it from 2021 and onwards.

Last edited:
agree. a lot of people on here giving up very easily. Wouldn't want to play footy beside em.

If we can make the finals it's a win, get some more good experience in to the side.

Ah yes, expected, any chance to play the man.

A little pointer - don’t confuse those giving up, with those that challenge the status quo when things aren’t working.

I’ll put it in your terms, i wouldn’t want to play footy beside those who play the man when challenged. Go join gws?

I think this talk is utter madness.

Combining our historical strike rate with recruiting premiership coaches with the industry strike rate, the chances of getting a better coach are about 5%. To offload a contracted, proven premiership coach on a maybe is lunacy.

The list is not in a premiership profile - just get that through your heads. We have effectively conducted a full rebuild in the space of barely 24 months (started March 2018), pumped hundreds of games into kids whose performances are massively up and down (for the longer term good), and have not only remained competitive, but actually made finals in 2019 and still in the hunt in 2020, with four of our losses coming to the top 5 teams in the comp (in the craziest season/circumstances of the last 70 years).

Look at other clubs that have gone through similar age profiles for their rebuilds across the last 10 years - Carlton, St Kilda, Melbourne, Gold Coast - look at the horrendous losses, the multiple bottom 4 finishes, the length of time - combined, they've made, what, 2, maybe 3 finals out of a potential 30 seasons? Having a few elite young stars and a handful of other kids with heaps of potential does not automatically equal a competitive list, and I for one am thankful that we've gone through the worst of a rebuild with such little pain.

Some of our best players are 19, 20, 21, 22. We have at least another half a dozen future 150+ gamers who are 23 and under. Many of our key leaders are 23-24-25. Our best is yet to come, our entry to an equivalent list peak to Brisbane 2000-2005, Geelong 2007-2012 and Hawthorn 2010-2015 is coming from 2021-2022 onwards.

There's issues - major issues - that need addressing. Match committee decisions, assistant coaches, leadership structures - none are beyond repair. None are worth tearing up a contract with one of the top 4 coaches in the game over, especially the one who delivered a miracle that no other coach in the game could have in 2016.

Nothing personal, but I've bookmarked this and can't wait for Beveridge to make many of these posts look absolutely nuts in a few years time.

Ha, I’m not bookmarking this. I don’t want to be right.

Yes I hope i’m wrong. Happy to admit when I am.

Bevo won’t be let go so i guess we’ll find out.

2016 wasn’t only Bevo’s team, it was a magical fusion of his nurturing style and defensive squeeze, with Brendan McCartney’s driven desire to win the hard ball. I didn’t want B-Mac gone in 2014...

2020 is Bevo’s team. We’re no longer that young (just look at line-up of us vs Richmond).

I do agree with you about our list. It is amazing, talent in every position.

I’d have a complete renewal of the coaching staff

The boys club has to be moved on so if for once in our history go hard and chase what we want.

People will not like my first call but I’d go for Mumford as ruck coach and possibly one year part time playing. Brings ideas from the plastics and can teach the team some mongrel we are so far short off.

I’d chase Voss to be midfield coach and assistant with a view to taking over. I can’t see Bev coaching long term. If not Voss then bring Matty Boyd home

I’d go and get Craig McRae to take over Maples role in development.

Dale Morris as backline coach is a no brainer

Lastly Luke Webster from the Eagles as forward coach.

yes I know it’s dreaming but ffs do something

the biggest move is to take complete control off Bev THEN if he isn’t prepared to do that moving him on is on the table but at the moment 3 years in its undeniable he isn’t getting it right alone.

Last edited:
Crazy to think that Melbourne are now officially having a better year then us (with a game in hand against Essendon)

I'd be looking to move on a few of Ash Hanson, Rohan Smith, Ben Graham, Steven King and Chris Maple first of all.

Our big issues in my opinion have been our lack of mid-game adjustments and effort dropping off. The second part could be due to a lack of proper fitness or lack of experience/leadership. The first one though has to come down to Bevo and the assistants.

Even on the weekend, we didn't take Gardner off Hipwood until late in the game when the damage was done. We had Cordy there playing on the less threatening McStay and just refused to make the switch.

Whether or not that's down to a lack of preparation and backup plans, we don't really know from the outside but we absolutely need some fresh ideas in the coaching box.

The past few years we've seemed to just focus on being good in the future but we have to start looking at now before we waste the potential of our list.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Maple is our general football manger. He's not an assistant coach or our development manager. Seems to be some confusion, just thought I'd point that out.

Ah yes, expected, any chance to play the man.

A little pointer - don’t confuse those giving up, with those that challenge the status quo when things aren’t working.

I’ll put it in your terms, i wouldn’t want to play footy beside those who play the man when challenged. Go join gws?
Lol bit defensive there. Which man am I playing? I didn't quote you (or anyone) and I don't even think you mentioned giving up this year in your OP, so not sure why you're even responding to that post.
Was a general comment based on general comments around the place, not directed at anyone in particular.
I personally don't think it's that earth shattering or controversial to say I wouldn't want to play sport with anyone that wants to throw the season out when we're sitting half a game outside the 8.

Thanks for the pointer, I wasn't confused.

The boys club has to be moved on so if for once in our history go hard and chase what we want.

People will not like my first call but I’d go for Mumford as ruck coach and possibly one year part time playing. Brings ideas from the plastics and can teach the team some mongrel we are so far short off.

I’d chase Voss to be midfield coach and assistant with a view to taking over. I can’t see Bev coaching long term. If not Voss then bring Matty Boyd home

the biggest move is to take complete control off Bev THEN if he isn’t prepared to do that moving him on is on the table but at the moment 3 years in its undeniable he isn’t getting it right alone.
Makes perfect sense, even that part of Mumford playing? maybe Ben Hudson could play a couple of times too as he’s made more comebacks than John Farnham?
But surely Luke Darcy will see this. Darcy on the board hopefully will help?

I don't disagree with your overall intent there, but Mumford is 34, and I'd be surprised if he went around again. Is he genuine coaching material, or was his sabbatical a jobs-for-the-boys gig at GWS? Surely there are ruck coach alternatives out there. Can we grab the Swans' big Cox? Or even if North are having a fire sale, utilise Goldstein for a year, then transition him into a coaching role?

Makes perfect sense, even that part of Mumford playing? maybe Ben Hudson could play a couple of times too as he’s made more comebacks than John Farnham?
But surely Luke Darcy will see this. Darcy on the board hopefully will help?

Good point about Darcy. He was instrumental in Bevo's appointment and if anyone was to confront him with some unpleasant realities, I would hope Darc would have some effective influence.

We really need to invest in getting a great tactician assistant under him as his right hand man.

Bev as the motivator and people person and senior assistant as the game mastermind.
Seems like that is what has happened at Port. Ken is the motivator and is handling less of the tactical stuff. Bassett is/was highly rated as a coach, so wonder if he has taken on more of that type of stuff.
I get the feeling Brisbane roll with that as well given Fagan is always on the bench mostly taking notes while players come off and talk on phone to assistants upstairs.

Did anyone hear Luke Hodge after the game speaking with one of the Lions players about how hard the Dogs were and that they wouldn’t be put away? That conversation alone is reason enough to believe when the opposition are genuinely acknowledging an opponent.
Yeah, a Luke Hodge interview about one game really should put any doubts about Beveridge to bed. Let's just forget about all the other problems with the last 3 years, because what's really important is what some Brisbane player said to Hodge...
There are things that aren’t quite right at the moment, but Bevo is not one of them...
Name someone who is willing to come and take over from Bevo who will be better than him. Anyone?

Perhaps we need some changes with the people around him, but I can’t understand the calls for Bevo’s head. Just cannot.
You're just a blind fanboy, not willing to accept any reason or logic.

Who are you to say another coach wouldn't do better? You don't have a crystal ball

There's no point in talking about whether or not he should be sacked, because the real mistake has already been made.

He had one year left on his contract in 2019, and rather than seeing how we go in 2020, we committed long term. There was no reason to do that, he wasn't going anywhere.

Listening to this crap makes me sad to Barack for the dogs

We have the fifth best list
Abs now play some duds judge at the end off year

Yeah, a Luke Hodge interview about one game really should put any doubts about Beveridge to bed. Let's just forget about all the other problems with the last 3 years, because what's really important is what some Brisbane player said to Hodge...

You're just a blind fanboy, not willing to accept any reason or logic.

Who are you to say another coach wouldn't do better? You don't have a crystal ball
I’m just like everyone else on here, someone with an opinion. Bevo is not free from fault, but I can’t see a case for getting rid of him. Hardwick and Buckley have similar stories.

What logic and reason have I not accepted?

Who are you to say another coach would do better? You don’t have a crystal ball.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back