Who is the best young key forward in the league (25 or younger at the end of this year)?

Who is the best young key forward in the league (born 1995 or later)?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Aug 4, 2003
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Aaron Naughton on exposed form - has all the tools.

Keen to see a bit more of the King boys.

Fair call earlier on Boyd and Patton - ‘generational’ can’t-miss Pick 1 SUPERSTARS.

Even Charlie Dixon - finally playing his best footy...turning 30 next month.

Feb 23, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
New York Jets
At the end of this year is interesting, I think in time you could toss a coin between either one of Max or Ben King and have your answer, although someone like Harry Mackay might also come into the frame if projecting that far ahead. Although I'm not sure the Kings are necessarily the best right now.

Naughton currently has put together the most complete season so far of the names listed, so he would also be in the conversation.

Based on expectation, the luckier of the King brothers with injury and team variables will probably end up the best.

st_trav_ofWA

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 17, 2015
AFL Club
St Kilda
Ben King is infront of Max King at the moment but each game i think that gap is getting smaller and smaller ... honestly if either of these king boys played for one of the big 4 Vic clubs the frothage would be uncontrolable ... both are going to be out and out STARS of the comp

Apr 28, 2008
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal Kilmarnock
Hipwood simply for his runs on the board. He has looked a diligent athletic tall talent since at least 2017. Has some flaws and things to work on in his game, but I've always liked what he provides for Brisbane. Consistently hits the goalsheet in 75-80% of games. Others might overtake him, but he'll rack up a decent 200 game career.

Oct 19, 2012
Minas Morgul
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Naughton way Overrated here, flip a coin on the king twins, ill go Ben.

Naughton was handicapped by playing alongside witches hat Josh Schache in 2019 and still led contested marks in the comp after 22 rounds.

He's right up there.

Nick Larkey should be in the conversation. What happened to Mitch Lewis hawks fans? He looked good last year.

Jun 26, 2016
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Naughton to be the best player of the lot. Can play CHF and FF, taking contested marks up the wing or out of the goal square. Could have probably been one of the best of his generation as a KPD as well.

If it wasn't for him, either of the Kings will be generational in their positions.

Aug 9, 2017
Penguin
AFL Club
Tasmania
Other Teams
Hurricanes, Panthers
Naughton was handicapped by playing alongside witches hat Josh Schache in 2019 and still led contested marks in the comp after 22 rounds.

He's right up there.

Nick Larkey should be in the conversation. What happened to Mitch Lewis hawks fans? He looked good last year.
Naughton is a freak contested mark but he still needs to work on his forward craft for mine. Has time on his side though.

I have loved Larkey so far showing an absolute ton. Being a smaller name in a smaller club hurts his hype.

Lewis is incredibly unfit at the moment. Got injured at the end of last season and had shoulder surgery, had a small set back during pre season. Played a JLT game and did his ankle missing another month or so and after the COVID break did a hammy/hip?. I would be okay with the club just nursing him through scratch matches the rest of the year and just preparing him for next year at this point in time.

Aug 9, 2017
Penguin
AFL Club
Tasmania
Other Teams
Hurricanes, Panthers
Naughton to be the best player of the lot. Can play CHF and FF, taking contested marks up the wing or out of the goal square. Could have probably been one of the best of his generation as a KPD as well.

If it wasn't for him, either of the Kings will be generational in their positions.
I think the Kings are more complete forwards at this point, especially Max. Naughton has the ability to go down back as well but I think he has holes in his game as a forward.

Jun 26, 2016
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I think the Kings are more complete forwards at this point, especially Max. Naughton has the ability to go down back as well but I think he has holes in his game as a forward.
Agreed to an extent but Naughton is the much raw-er talent forward-wise, he'll grow the position as time progresses. His contested marking is just about the best in the league, his mobility for his size is elite and has a very good ground-ball game. He has all the tangible skills to be the best, just needs to work on his craft a bit more but I have no doubt he will be the best of the lot. Completely subjective though, I understand.

My point was more that Naughton will become the best player in terms of his versatility and his ability to dominate around the ground, not just inside 50. Forward-wise he is very raw but as I said before, he is extremely talented.

Aug 9, 2017
Penguin
AFL Club
Tasmania
Other Teams
Hurricanes, Panthers
Agreed to an extent but Naughton is the much raw-er talent forward-wise, he'll grow the position as time progresses. His contested marking is just about the best in the league, his mobility for his size is elite and has a very good ground-ball game. He has all the tangible skills to be the best, just needs to work on his craft a bit more but I have no doubt he will be the best of the lot. Completely subjective though, I understand.

My point was more that Naughton will become the best player in terms of his versatility and his ability to dominate around the ground, not just inside 50. Forward-wise he is very raw but as I said before, he is extremely talented.
Yeah like you said it is absolutely subjective, so you absolutely could be right but he is no guarantee to improve it.

If Tim O’Brien could hold a mark he would be a really solid AFL player, unfortunately i have been saying that for 5 years.

I see no real weakness in either of the King twins and the leg speed of Ben is a real difference maker. Honestly wouldn’t surprise me if any of these 3 end of the best, I also wouldn’t be surprised if Naughton ended up a great CHB if the Dogs can find other key forwards (JUH) possibly.

Jun 26, 2016
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Yeah like you said it is absolutely subjective, so you absolutely could be right but he is no guarantee to improve it.

If Tim O’Brien could hold a mark he would be a really solid AFL player, unfortunately i have been saying that for 5 years.

I see no real weakness in either of the King twins and the leg speed of Ben is a real difference maker. Honestly wouldn’t surprise me if any of these 3 end of the best, I also wouldn’t be surprised if Naughton ended up a great CHB if the Dogs can find other key forwards (JUH) possibly.
Yeah 100%. It's super polarising in the Dogs camp whether he should be playing KPD or KPF especially with the prospect of JUH coming in. Definitely not the worst problem to have.

G0ther00s

Club Legend
Oct 14, 2008
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Miami Heat
Nick Larkey ranks 3rd in goals per game this year, he's 22. He won't get the love of these other guys but has shown a lot in his two years of footy. In 2018 as a 20 year old he won the VFL league goal kicking.

King boys obvious options other than that, couldn't tell you enough of a difference between the two to pick one.

Beer n Skittles

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 6, 2012
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Rampage
Nick Larkey ranks 3rd in goals per game this year, he's 22. He won't get the love of these other guys but has shown a lot in his two years of footy. In 2018 as a 20 year old he won the VFL league goal kicking.

King boys obvious options other than that, couldn't tell you enough of a difference between the two to pick one.
I'm a fan. Moves very well given his height. Though it's annoying how North seem to be able to find good forwards with late draft picks

Sep 25, 2007
AFL Club
West Coast
Ben King is infront of Max King at the moment but each game i think that gap is getting smaller and smaller ... honestly if either of these king boys played for one of the big 4 Vic clubs the frothage would be uncontrolable ... both are going to be out and out STARS of the comp

When they fill out, I don't see many defenders in the comp whip will be able to go with them.

On the lead, when they can reach and jump higher, when already in front, they should be getting a stack of arm chopping frees.

Going to be a joy to watch as they play against 17 teams that I don't follow. Really hope they fulfill their potential, too many kpf have fallen short the last ten years.

RichLeMonde

Club Legend
Sep 26, 2019
Sydney
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Celtics

He's right up there.

Agree with this. Would take him over Hipwood in a heartbeat

Inside Bull

Cancelled
A Star Wars Fan
Feb 13, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
I wouldn't have him in the very top echelon myself but Nick Blakey deserves a mention here.

Honestly though, no young key forwards have really built a great body of work yet, whether through injury (Curnow.and sort of Naughton), career length (Kings, Georgiades) or just not having put it together consistently (Hipwood, Ratugolea)

From this point of view I am thrilled with Oscar Allen who is almost the furthest ahead at this stage, probably with Naughton and maybe the GWS boys, but I don't think he has the highest ceiling by any means.

WalshistheGOAT

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 25, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Think Charlie Curnow has the most xfactor but I wouldnt go past the King twins, just look absolute locks to be gun KPF with their height and speed

Back