Player Watch #5 Jack Ross

Remove this Banner Ad

Piss poor take. The whole midfield got destroyed so pin pointing it on one kid is strange. Lambert 5 disposals, Martin's worst game all year, Pickett 8 disposals, Caddy turned it over every time he got it, Bolton faded.

Ross is a much better player than Graham. And Ross was one of our more solid players today. He will look much better when we get the likes of Cotchin and Prestia back.

Watch the game back and see how often Port walked the ball out from the stoppages as a result of Ross being so far behind them it wasn't funny. Caddy was just as guilty which is why he doesn't play midfield when the team is fully fit.

Ross isn't close to the player Graham is. He finds the ball more often but does less with it while offering far less defensively.

Cotch can't last forever. Graham fills part of that role. RCD and Dow fill other roles (Dow - Sheds-ish). I reckon we'll be trying to win premiership now and build into a new midfield future. Graham has shown he can get 20 possessions a game. But this year he seems to have stepped back a little on production.

Overall I see us trying to build a competitive group of about 8 mids for the next 8 - 10 years.

When Cotch is done we are done. You're not replacing quality like that with back end picks like Graham/Ross. It will be rebuild time by then.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Watch the game back and see how often Port walked the ball out from the stoppages as a result of Ross being so far behind them it wasn't funny. Caddy was just as guilty which is why he doesn't play midfield when the team is fully fit.

Ross isn't close to the player Graham is. He finds the ball more often but does less with it while offering far less defensively.
Rossy hasn’t come on this year as well as I’d have liked , I’d be offering his spot to rcd or Dow at earliest

Rossy hasn’t come on this year as well as I’d have liked , I’d be offering his spot to rcd or Dow at earliest

Personally think the syndesmosis when properly injured takes a good 12-18 months to get over. Butler, Stack and Ross all spent significant time out with it and didn't look the same when coming back. Butler has got back on track this season and I expect similar for Stack and Ross next season. In the mean time though we have other options.

Personally think the syndesmosis when properly injured takes a good 12-18 months to get over. Butler, Stack and Ross all spent significant time out with it and didn't look the same when coming back. Butler has got back on track this season and I expect similar for Stack and Ross next season. In the mean time though we have other options.
Good point , Lambert also had it too

bodes badly for nank and meatball then

Was given a lesson by Boak and Wines today. Shouldn't be in the team over Graham while RCD deserves a crack given Ross is well of the pace at the moment. Second year player and deserves time so don't want to come across as to harsh but premiership players shouldn't be missing out so that they can carry someone who isn't ready.
Your first sentence is correct. Your second is not but highlights where we are when Cotchin, Prestia, Edwards are not on the field.

This is a silly argument as you cant replace players like Edwards,Houli,Cotchin,Prestia with Kids and expect consistantly good performances from 21 year olds
Their midfield had Boak ,Wines ,SPP,Rockliff etc who are all seasoned campaigners with talent and experience playing on their deck infront of their crowd where they grow another leg. Take away 4 mids from their team and tell me how they go playing at the G'

Ross is a 19 year old kid with 10 games

When Cotch is done we are done. You're not replacing quality like that with back end picks like Graham/Ross. It will be rebuild time by then.

Hopefully that is not the case and that Richmond recruiters are looking at trade options that will serve us well in that area. A player like Josh Dunkley could be worth making an offer to.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes and no.

Cotch is our talisman and leader. But a more mature and better balanced inside mid group can hold the line. What I was saying is that we are trying to win now, first and foremost. But we are also building midfield for the next decade at the same time - Ross, Graham, Shai, Stack, etc. We'll have meatball, Caddy etc as mature age. So there will be a drop off when Cotch and Shedda go, no doubt. But if we can blood kids we can basically keep a competitive midfield for a decade, unlike some teams that drop of a cliff.

Reckon our midfield transition is going well considering they are playing cameo roles right now. Bolton struggles to run out games, won't next year. Ross with a season under his belt still looks good to me because he has time with the ball. All the good mids have that. Stack can play and will be better again next year. RCD has the physical power and speed to be something special perhaps. Reckon Baker could easily go through the midfield as well. Probably the most improved player on the list. Cumberland did a knee so who can tell where he is at, but he is quick and tough. Martyn is a good sized mid with great endurance and a ball getter.

Dusty is going nowhere as is Prestia. Cotchin is not cooked yet if well managed, Edwards has not slowed down at all. So the transition is going okay. Port mids showed us up because with the narrow ground they play to their strengths, in tight without too much running out wide. Our young mids are much quicker so suite the wider grounds like the G.

I actually thought Ross showed a bit against Port and it was probably he’s best performance of the year (coming from a very low base).
He won some clearances which is what his game is built around.

Having said that the Port midfield was far superior and defensively he did struggle. But at least he made small steps and started to get his hands on the ball so maybe his confidence grows from here

Reckon our midfield transition is going well considering they are playing cameo roles right now. Bolton struggles to run out games, won't next year. Ross with a season under his belt still looks good to me because he has time with the ball. All the good mids have that. Stack can play and will be better again next year. RCD has the physical power and speed to be something special perhaps. Reckon Baker could easily go through the midfield as well. Probably the most improved player on the list. Cumberland did a knee so who can tell where he is at, but he is quick and tough. Martyn is a good sized mid with great endurance and a ball getter.

Dusty is going nowhere as is Prestia. Cotchin is not cooked yet if well managed, Edwards has not slowed down at all. So the transition is going okay. Port mids showed us up because with the narrow ground they play to their strengths, in tight without too much running out wide. Our young mids are much quicker so suite the wider grounds like the G.
Bakes has the tools to play some midfield time I reckon his hardness, sure ball handling and hand/foot skills would suit the role.
I know the old saying don’t move a player from a position he’s playing well in but can never have enough midfielders.

Bakes has the tools to play some midfield time I reckon his hardness, sure ball handling and hand/foot skills would suit the role.
I know the old saying don’t move a player from a position he’s playing well in but can never have enough midfielders.
Well you wouldn't move him now, but as we transition he might just keep improving to become a good mid.

Not the case at all, if we thought the end of cotch was the end of this squad then we would be rapid-fire trading dusty, grimes, lynch etc. etc. at the end of this season. Yeah graham obviously won't be as good as a player who will in all likelihood be our longest serving captain (brownlow, premiership ...) but he doesn't need to! For us to be as competitive in the future we don't need cotch 2.0, we need the same quality across the board. In the midfield for instance, for argument's sake say our current rankings are dusty, meatball, cotch, edwards, lambert ..., minus cotch that becomes dusty, meatball, edwards, lambert, bolton - hardly rebuild material! (not to mention that we can also improve elsewhere with players like balta coming through)

An AFL team is so much more than one player, and besides, as important as cotch is to our team, he missed most of last year, already chunks of this year. If he was our team it would be panic stations already

The guy is 20 years old FFS, Yet because he started his career so well we are expecting him to replace 10 year veterans. LOL

He has only played 11 games, lets look at a comparison with 2 of our better midfielders in their first handful of games :

1597022103209.png

Jack Ross is travelling fine, sure he is down a little from last season, but you cant blame him he wasn't getting decent match practice when not playing seniors, his first decent preseason was interrupted, we need to back off a little bit and take it for what it is.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back