Senior 12. Tom De Koning

Remove this Banner Ad

Yes you are. He's the only tall we drafted in the top 40 b/w 2016-2018. Ruckmen take years to come on.

Odds of finding a midfielder at pick 30 who'll come in and immediately provide genuine midfield support for Cripps are slim to none.

You don’t need to find them in the top 40 of the draft - Ladhams, O’Brien, Marshall all rookie draft selections

Be interesting where TDK is at, at 30 games as per currently Tim English who Luke Darcy gets a woodie over.

This is De Konings third year on the list, but I'd like to know just how many games he's played in total, VFL and AFL.

Whatever the maximum amount of games he could have played, I'd say that he's probably missed half for injury.

We wouldn't want injury to be his worst enemy from here on in.

In your opinion, why's TDK dropping the marks? Seems to always get his hands onto the ball, but then pops out.
Must've happened at least 4-5 times.
Same reason why I don't like him as a full time ruck: his timing for that sucks. You're mostly seeing it happen when he springs for the ball.

Well the giraffe is still a tad clumsy, but was a good game, whenenve he was in the ruck the game swung back to us.

Same reason why I don't like him as a full time ruck: his timing for that sucks. You're mostly seeing it happen when he springs for the ball.

That makes for an interesting topic in that; Why can't a player be trained to get their timing right?
Since day one De Konings timing has been out. Is it not possible to re-wire the brain to better gauge the bounce and what happens thereafter?

De Konings marking isn't such a problem. Have sene him take some absolute beauties in the VFL

That makes for an interesting topic in that; Why can't a player be trained to get their timing right?
Since day one De Konings timing has been out. Is it not possible to re-wire the brain to better gauge the bounce and what happens thereafter?

De Konings marking isn't such a problem. Have sene him take some absolute beauties in the VFL
There's a lot of factors there. Visual acuity, spatial processing, performance anxiety, and abstraction of what's being taught as a concept and putting it into practice.

You expect he can be taught, but conversely I don't ever see his frame being large enough to work 50+ stoppages a game the way you'd want a ruck to, or at least without hurting his best attributes. He is supremely talented in front of goal and his natural build leans towards an athletic key forward, that's why I prefer that for him.

He was fatigued imho which contributed to dropped marks.

His ability to get into great positions is very good, you can't teach that.

He's going to be a ripper.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nic Naitanui pick 2
Grundy pick 18
Gawn pick 34
Tim English 19

Dekoning is a cracking selection at pick 30

And apart from Natanui we could have picked any of those first, but the point being you can find more than decent ruck talent in the Rookie Draft (if you have decent recruiters) and utilise your Draft picks for the high end mid field talent available before any of the ruck selections you have indicated.

Last edited:
I'm sure it's been said but we should be following the blueprint of Tim English very closely with the development of De Koning. Very raw but incredibly good signs. He would probably be playing as a 3rd tall / pinch ruckman in our forward line if we didn't have so many key position talls already. Will probably come on beautifully around the time Casboult starts to decline so really nice timing there I feel.

This kid is going to be some player.

The fluency of his movement at 203cm, including his kicking action, is what catches the eye. It's his willingness to engage body contact as a ruckman and in marking contests in addition to that natural ability that you should be thrilled with. That's often the hardest part to get right.

I went and watched Tom play at Frankston for our reserves in the first year he was at Carlton.

What I liked from day 1 was his willingness to compete. He was a big, skinny kid who was playing against a lot stronger opponenet, but he kept competing. Made a lot of errors and was fatigued by the end of the game, but kept having a crack.

I noticed a huge barrel-chested man with long blonde hair standing behind me casting a keen eye over the game. I soon worked out it was Tom's dad. Looked him up after the game and saw he played 40+ games for the bulldogs. The pedigree is there.

I really enjoyed watching him having a real crack against Nic Nat, having that 15 minutes where he beat Nic Nat hands down.

I thought his game most recently against Sinclair showed how far he has come this year. Absolutely dominated him at the centre square and when the ball hit the ground; loved his follow up work.

Has a great physique for a ruckman; big shoulders and athletic.

Could be our ruckman for the next 10 years if he keeps developing the way he has been.

TDKLandscape2023.jpg

EMERGING ruckman Tom De Koning has committed his future to the Blues, signing a two-year extension.

Today’s announcement ensures the Carlton faithful will see De Koning’s career continue to flourish until at least the end of 2023.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back