Status
Not open for further replies.

Belltower

Club Legend
Oct 11, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
His arms were chopped a number of times. Also he was dragged down without the ball - should've been a free and had another one where his back was cannoned into. Barrass was fine, stood up well without his mate with him. I loved the performance of Rotham too.

Love how the commentators said that was great contest by eddie, never went for the ball just jumped into his back, free kick every day of the week. It changed the momentum of the game as that was in the 2nd quarter when we were a goal up and all over them

shooshka

Premiership Player
Oct 7, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
West Coast
Aren't we already doing FIFO AFL in WA? Vic teams fly in and play each other immediately in Perth. It would be no different for finals but Eagles would need to stay in a hub like everyone else.

Regardless of their location, finals will undoubtedly involve all teams being in hubs from start to finish.

You are right - if the eagles agreed to join a WA hub then in theory the finals series could be played in WA (AFL won't do it). The first week would stretch the groundskeepers (4 games over 3-4 days) but then 2-per-week would be pretty straightforward. The argument of needing at least 2 grounds (as is required for regular season) doesn't really apply to finals due to the limited matches per-week.

I suppose the hub would only be for 2 weeks (as all players would be free to come and go after quarantine - as much as AFL rules allow, and even then they could theoretically relax them as WA is COVID-free so what is the need for strict COVID rules?)

Neale4brownlow

Norm Smith Medallist
May 20, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
You are right - if the eagles agreed to join a WA hub then in theory the finals series could be played in WA (AFL won't do it). The first week would stretch the groundskeepers (4 games over 3-4 days) but then 2-per-week would be pretty straightforward. The argument of needing at least 2 grounds (as is required for regular season) doesn't really apply to finals due to the limited matches per-week.

I suppose the hub would only be for 2 weeks (as all players would be free to come and go after quarantine - as much as AFL rules allow, and even then they could theoretically relax them as WA is COVID-free so what is the need for strict COVID rules?)

Yep, good call on it only needing to be 2 weeks if every team were here.
So 2 weeks into the 4 weeks of finals and players are free to roam about as they please.
Perhaps there would even be a sneaky chance of a full capacity Optus Stadium by the time the grand final event.

All a pipe dream though as I doubt restrictions ease any time soon this year. Though we have no cases it's still important to keep some levels in place in the event Covid makes its way back over here (if the trends in Vic continue its inevitable it'll spread to other states).

Eastcoasteagle

Premiership Player
Oct 20, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
This is a real danger game for us, based on Hawks win over us in round 23 last year plus we beat them by 6 points a the G last year but they kicked 9.17. No doubt, Sam Mitchell has given them the blueprints to our game plan and Clarko the master knows how to attack and defend against us.

Tugga27

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 19, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
It is not the mathmatical logic of Team A beats Team B by 5 goals and Team B beats Team C by 5 goals, then Team A will beat Team C by 10 goals. It is all about we need the % to be successful this year and we have an opportunity this coming Sunday. Can‘t do attitude does not help.
You can spin it any way you want.

All I'm saying is, going into this game thinking of it as a possible percentage booster
will be fraught with danger.

In the pre season Eagles had the idea that Tim Kelly and Dom Sheed would rotate between HFF and midfield. IMO we should look to try this again. It worked well in training. Didnt do too well in the hub etc but id like to give it another try, BUT we have to get someone else in the midfield rotation. That being Jackson Nelson. So what id do is

Rotham into defense long term
Nelson into midfield long term
Jarrad Cameron into reserves team long term
Sheed/Kelly into HFF long term
Ah Chee back to deep forward long term

In that case

IN: McGovern
OUT: Cameron

Nelson seems quite settled in the backline. As a midfielder it’s hard to see him being any more than a Hutchings-style run-with player, and we’re doing pretty well without one of those at the moment. Plus Kelly and Sheed have been two of our best players in the last few games. So why make change for change’s sake?

Mar 19, 2020
AFL Club
West Coast
Nelson seems quite settled in the backline. As a midfielder it’s hard to see him being any more than a Hutchings-style run-with player, and we’re doing pretty well without one of those at the moment. Plus Kelly and Sheed have been two of our best players in the last few games. So why make change for change’s sake?

Id like to think both changes would make us better. We definetly not the complete article yet so far this year.

Sep 12, 2013
10 min from Optus
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Lakers Claremont
Time to get XON trained up to play the smaller forward role. We have lost Rioli and Venables to injury with Cameron looking worse for his poor injury run the last 12 months. Petruccelle is injured so we are short big time in that role.

If he wants a chance to make it into the best 22, then as a smaller forward would work well. He has pace and decent skills. Late last year in the WAFL he looked to be working into his body and gaining strength in the contest.

It would be worth punting on him, especially since we have Hutch back nearly ready as depth and a strong midfield.

Nuke Fremantle

Premiership Player
Mar 26, 2007
Dullsville
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool FC
Barrass doesn't crush high incoming footy enough. He concedes the mark too often, otherwise it ends up at his feet or over the back (in dangerous locations). Costs us 2-3 goals every game including yesterday.

In the frenetic last quarter against Geelong Barrass three times flew for an intercept mark and spilled it front and centre of the pack. It could've been disastrous but fortunately the Cats didn't capitalize. I've generally been unimpressed with him this season. We need Gov back ASAP to help him out.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Balls In

Brownlow Medallist
May 25, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
In the frenetic last quarter against Geelong Barrass three times flew for an intercept mark and spilled it front and centre of the pack. It could've been disastrous but fortunately the Cats didn't capitalize. I've generally been unimpressed with him this season. We need Gov back ASAP to help him out.
I find the issue has been glaring lately early in games when our midfield hadn't settled and the opposition is getting quick footy in. Too often those non marks one out with the big forwards become crumbing fodder directly in front of goals. It risks a real run on early (and its happened!). As a full back I'd be happy with a more traditional defensive approach to get a big fist in it (ideally directed towards the boundary) for a stoppage.

campaigner___

Club Legend
May 30, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
Time to get XON trained up to play the smaller forward role. We have lost Rioli and Venables to injury with Cameron looking worse for his poor injury run the last 12 months. Petruccelle is injured so we are short big time in that role.

If he wants a chance to make it into the best 22, then as a smaller forward would work well. He has pace and decent skills. Late last year in the WAFL he looked to be working into his body and gaining strength in the contest.

It would be worth punting on him, especially since we have Hutch back nearly ready as depth and a strong midfield.
I say put treacy in. Give cameron a spell. He's had 4 or 5 games this season and literally shown nothing. Treacy is a last resort but surely it's better than the return on cameron and ah chee at the moment.

Maroubra Eagle

Senior List
May 24, 2008
Maroubra
AFL Club
West Coast
Shuey fined $1000 for tripping

Charge Laid:
Luke Shuey, West Coast Eagles, has been charged with Tripping Ed Curnow, Carlton, during the fourth quarter of the Round 11 match between the West Coast Eagles and Carlton, played at Optus Stadium on Sunday August 9.

In summary he can accept a $1000 sanction with an early plea.

Looking at Ah Chee on the tracker he is top five in a few of the running stats, particularly sprints. Maybe he is doing one of those unheralded jobs that makes the rest of the side tick over.

Camo just looks buggered the whole time. He is struggling for explosive speed off the mark and top speed. I'll back him to come right but maybe in the firsts isn't the place to find form when we need/want to get a look at Reid and Treacy to give them a chance before list cuts might come into play.

Dec 18, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Looking at Ah Chee on the tracker he is top five in a few of the running stats, particularly sprints. Maybe he is doing one of those unheralded jobs that makes the rest of the side tick over.

Camo just looks buggered the whole time. He is struggling for explosive speed off the mark and top speed. I'll back him to come right but maybe in the firsts isn't the place to find form when we need/want to get a look at Reid and Treacy to give them a chance before list cuts might come into play.
I kind of like Ah Chee, he has so much promise and he is trying his guts out. Just need an extra 20% actual statistical output somehow.

Unfortunately I can see Rotham being dropped for Gov as the only change. He doesn't deserve to be dropped though.

THE A5

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 26, 2020
AFL Club
West Coast
This is the moment where BT sealed Cripps' fate

He's a big lad but that's BT putting Mayo on it. He's not as solidly built as Fyfe and even shorter guys like Danger/Martin are more solidly built.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back