Prediction Changes: Round 11 vs Hawthorn + Pre-match discussion

noise36

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 22, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
Hogan in defence wtf is the point of that? Dislike!

He can be a 2 goals a game player if given a good run at it.

I was actually thinking the conditions were looking good for him being a late in but unlikely if he played in the scratchy.

DeanS

Club Legend
May 16, 2007
Tuart Hill
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
East Perth
Hogan in defence wtf is the point of that? Dislike!

He can be a 2 goals a game player if given a good run at it.

I was actually thinking the conditions were looking good for him being a late in but unlikely if he played in the scratchy.
Agreed. Pointless exercise.

Feb 11, 2011
pakenham
AFL Club
Fremantle
For someone who makes a whole heap of prophetic statements about entire drafts you sure have a problem with people judging one player early.
Context Context Context.

This years draft predictions is based on evidence and all draft reports have said the same thing.

My “prophetic statements” are based on draft experts Views and what clubs have already said. Plus, the lack of second year players in last year’s championship confirms what the reports are saying.

With regards to Valente what evidence apart from his junior career do you have that he will be a gun.

Here’s my evidence.

Valente was drafted at pick 32 and slipped from being a projected first rounder.

This year we have a large injury list but he has been only named as emergency.

Other younger or same age players have gotten a game this year ie Sturt, Frederick, Serong, and Young.

We don’t have data, match reports, or vision for Valente in the WAFL this year.

We do have unconfirmed reports from the club that Valente is highly rated.

Therefore, I don’t understand how people can write him off or say he will be gun.

Last edited:
Personally fine with Hogan playing back.

Think the guy needs confidence and games more than anything and if we are all honest with ourselves, Fyfe, Tabs, Lobb and Hogan in one forwardline does not work.

He'll get plenty of touch playing behind the ball and wont get frustrated at being ignored or missed on a lead 15 times a game.

Additionally, it just looks completely stupid have Cox as one our tallest KPD when he's a 3rd tall while having too many tall forwards in the same team

freoextra

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 2, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Perth Football Club
Not trying to take the mick I promise, but Duman keeping out 'the kid' who is almost 5 months older than him, is quite funny, and I think a common misconception as to where Watson sits in the pecking order. Watson dob early-Dec 1997, Duman dob mid-April 1998. Both started as rookies.

Fair enough! with Duman having played a bit for a few years I would not have expected Watson to be older thats for sure. Still, two developing backmen that are showing a bit and are probably equally talented.

One of them is a superstar Brownlow winning midfielder.
Yeah, but from what I've seen this year, we are significantly better with him playing more forward than in the middle.

A 50/50 split seems to be the way to go at the moment and we cant have 40-50% of the game with all 4 of them forward.

Scham

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 19, 2004
AFL Club
Fremantle
Hogan seems to be available this week and played back in a scratchie this morning. Seems we REALLY like Fyfe forward

Fyfe’s been much better forward than Hogan has, Hogan needs to get his mojo back and finding it by reading it across hb is a proven method. Our injury crisis in defence has possibly necessitated it also.

wild side

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 29, 2010
perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Yeah, if Jesse wants to play forward, he needs to smash the door down.
There are 3 ahead of him, Tabs, Fyfe, and Lobb who has been ok, but not great.
Tabs and Fyfe have been our most effective Talls

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
Clearly Hogan isn’t in this week’s best 22. I’m not overly surprised, and given the short rests between games coming up it is even more understandable. But I’d be amazed and disappointed if playing him back wasn’t part of a management strategy to both get him in form, and manufacture a tall defender option.

Fyfe is definitely having an impact forward. No surprise there either. But with a firing Hogan our forward structure would change to accommodate him.

Back