2nds Reserves Scratch Matches 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

A little bit from Laidler. No scratch matches over the next couple of weeks it looks like.

Blakey played midfield, it sounds like they don’t plan on leaving him out for long.

Jeremy's a tad generic. Do the Twitter photos mean Dylan Stephens and Sam Wicks played the scratch match and the AFL fixture on the same day, or were they different Thursdays?

Twitter photos are dated 31st July.

Was given footage of the scrimmage vs Collingwood from last week from a friend for anyone who cares.

My thoughts...

Amartey - Really good in the ruck and gave our mids first usage, won a few clearances off his own boot (which I hate but I know everyone else loves seeing.) Competed well around the ground and just looked better than he ever looked in the NEAFL last year. Looked to be limping late and didn't come on after that so not sure if he was injured or just being managed.

Blakey - Was not perfect but he was in everything. Looked the most dynamic mid by far as opponents couldn't catch him. Ball use wasn't stellar but he kicked an incredible goal late as he roved the tap, charged out of the centre square, dodged a tackle, and kicked the goal on the run. That goal alone will probably get him recalled, though I'd personally want to see a bit more of a consistent performance across the day before giving him another senior opportunity. If the exercise was purely about his confidence, then it was a success as he was playing with serious confidence in his ability, and for the most part pulled his plays off.

Clarke - His usual self. Probably had twice the amount of touches as the next best Swan and worked hard as per. Wasn't overly damaging.

Foot - Wasn't too involved but he had a few good moments where he showed some evasion and athleticism inside 50, including side-stepping an opponent to slot a goal.

McInerney - Liked his game, plenty of run and outside class, and cracked in to win some contested ball too. Really didn't do a lot wrong at all and was in the bests for me, but I also didn't see anything different from him than what he was doing in the senior team so who knows if the coaches will be wanting more from him. Maybe the issue is the disparity between his ball use, which can go from nailing some challenging passes to stuffing up the simplest of handballs. Just guessing.

McLean - A real 'almost' game. Was popping up and taking marks everywhere. By far the most dominant big man on the ground. Had about five shots at goal, all from marks inside 50, but finished with 2 goals for the day. IMO he just looks too good to not be in our senior side.

O'Connor - He is a big unit and looked good at times, then other times his opponent got the best of him. The signs are there that he could be quite a handy defender though.

O'Riordan - Quintessential COR seconds performance. Looked a cut above everyone else but we already know that about him from his previous NEAFL form.

Rowles - Really liked this kid. Played off the HBF and just wants to go and attack all the time, and actually has a bit of the pace and class to do it. Wasn't overly involved but every time he had it he looked the goods.

Warner - Had some really hard-at-it moments where he won some crucial contests and used it well, then other times he went missing for periods and looked a little lost.

Gould/Gray/Knoll - grouping these three together because tbh all three looked miles off and was underwhelmed by all. Gray was fumbling the simplest of ground balls and was playing pretty laconically for someone I thought would be pushing for selection. Gould to me is clearly a fitness issue. Was trailing his opponents a lot and looked knackered to the point he was moving slower than he's actually capable of. Knoll just didn't show much nous at all both rucking and when forward and dropped two sitters when resting forward.

Worth noting that I didn't see Maibaum out there, not sure why.

Caesar out.

"Rowles - Really liked this kid."

( nit included,.. and in one or two, Tuwo too to but too 2 line response (apparently irrelevant by the hypocrites)

Will be a super star! Bookmark it.

Was given footage of the scrimmage vs Collingwood from last week from a friend for anyone who cares.

My thoughts...

Amartey - Really good in the ruck and gave our mids first usage, won a few clearances off his own boot (which I hate but I know everyone else loves seeing.) Competed well around the ground and just looked better than he ever looked in the NEAFL last year. Looked to be limping late and didn't come on after that so not sure if he was injured or just being managed.

Blakey - Was not perfect but he was in everything. Looked the most dynamic mid by far as opponents couldn't catch him. Ball use wasn't stellar but he kicked an incredible goal late as he roved the tap, charged out of the centre square, dodged a tackle, and kicked the goal on the run. That goal alone will probably get him recalled, though I'd personally want to see a bit more of a consistent performance across the day before giving him another senior opportunity. If the exercise was purely about his confidence, then it was a success as he was playing with serious confidence in his ability, and for the most part pulled his plays off.

Clarke - His usual self. Probably had twice the amount of touches as the next best Swan and worked hard as per. Wasn't overly damaging.

Foot - Wasn't too involved but he had a few good moments where he showed some evasion and athleticism inside 50, including side-stepping an opponent to slot a goal.

McInerney - Liked his game, plenty of run and outside class, and cracked in to win some contested ball too. Really didn't do a lot wrong at all and was in the bests for me, but I also didn't see anything different from him than what he was doing in the senior team so who knows if the coaches will be wanting more from him. Maybe the issue is the disparity between his ball use, which can go from nailing some challenging passes to stuffing up the simplest of handballs. Just guessing.

McLean - A real 'almost' game. Was popping up and taking marks everywhere. By far the most dominant big man on the ground. Had about five shots at goal, all from marks inside 50, but finished with 2 goals for the day. IMO he just looks too good to not be in our senior side.

O'Connor - He is a big unit and looked good at times, then other times his opponent got the best of him. The signs are there that he could be quite a handy defender though.

O'Riordan - Quintessential COR seconds performance. Looked a cut above everyone else but we already know that about him from his previous NEAFL form.

Rowles - Really liked this kid. Played off the HBF and just wants to go and attack all the time, and actually has a bit of the pace and class to do it. Wasn't overly involved but every time he had it he looked the goods.

Warner - Had some really hard-at-it moments where he won some crucial contests and used it well, then other times he went missing for periods and looked a little lost.

Gould/Gray/Knoll - grouping these three together because tbh all three looked miles off and was underwhelmed by all. Gray was fumbling the simplest of ground balls and was playing pretty laconically for someone I thought would be pushing for selection. Gould to me is clearly a fitness issue. Was trailing his opponents a lot and looked knackered to the point he was moving slower than he's actually capable of. Knoll just didn't show much nous at all both rucking and when forward and dropped two sitters when resting forward.

Caesar out.
I think Blakey should just be developed as a mid. He has a bit of grunt around the ball, but looses himself when he doesn't get it enough. I just don't see him as a tall forward.

I think Blakey should just be developed as a mid. He has a bit of grunt around the ball, but looses himself when he doesn't get it enough. I just don't see him as a tall forward.
A winger for sure

My thoughts...

Caesar out.
Good write up, will be interesting to see who else gets a debut this year.

A winger for sure
I don't know, I think he has the grunt and ability to be in the middle. He has speed and a big boot. If not the middle, maybe there to get the handball receive. I just think he needs to be a bit of a ball winner for himself.
Wouldn't complain if he became a winger though.

Really disappointed about grey, is he carrying an injury or is he just not motivated.

A bit annoying about Gould as well, but he's still young, let's hope he gets some drive back.
He was and AA captain in his side, he's obviously has some real ability. I wonder what's going on in his head.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My thoughts...

Caesar out.
Gould could become a Shannon Hurn type - if he gets ultra well conditioned.

If not, he looks like he could be too heavily built & hence a bit lumbering.

Swans fitness staff need to excel.

Gould could become a Shannon Hurn type - if he gets ultra well conditioned.

If not, he looks like he could be too heavily built & hence a bit lumbering.

Swans fitness staff need to excel.

It's a tough year to get that extra conditioning into players - particularly the first year guys who are still adjusting to being a professional while all of this is unfolding. Jack Steven is looking trimmer and more fit after turning up looking the opposite but he's also a 10 year veteran who knows how to train and can adjust.

Let's hope we can get a relatively normal pre-season in so Gould can get the tutelage and work that he needs in.

My thoughts...

Caesar out.

Thanks Caeser, great write up there, much appreciated!

Managed to catch the practice match (?) against Fremantle from a few days back. Worth noting that this was ridiculously low-intensity. Like below NEAFL level even. Fremantle players were like witches hats, and the game was played almost entirely in our forward half as we dominated proceedings. So bear that in mind...

Warner - Had some brilliant moments where he charged out of the middle to win quick, fast clearances and hit targets inside 50, and his second and third efforts were great to see. I'm almost positive half the stuff he did out there would not fly at all at AFL level, so I'm not convinced by him, but I'd be shocked if he wasn't selected this week.

Brand - Came on about 3/4 of the way through in his return from injury, and instantly looked our best key defender. Really sharp, albeit from incredibly limited opportunities to really do anything.

Clarke - Standard Clarke game. Racked up possessions and wasn't overly damaging with them. I'm pretty sure he wasn't on for the entire last 20 minutes or so, so possibly carrying a niggle?

Gray - Probably BOG for us. When others tired as the day wore on he kept going, running hard and presenting. Not sold on him but in fairness to him it was a good showing.

Gould - Forget about him debuting. Miles behind his opponent on a few occasions and got out-bodied badly on a few occasions as well. Think I counted two solid contested wins for him overall. He is going to be in for a long, long summer running laps.

Ling - Excellent contested game from Ling. Got beaten once late, but every other time he won his one on ones convincingly. Didn't see much by way of attacking from him, but defensively he was the most consistent throughout the day.

Franklin - Really impressed throwing the balls back into play from behind the goals. Clean arm, swift motion, looked good.

McInerney - Standard McInerney game really, used the ball well generally and worked hard but gets rag-dolled in tackles easily and also won about 80% of his possessions through uncontested cheapies in the back-line. Wasn't different enough from his usual form to suggest the coaches minds will be changed about him playing senior footy, but who knows.

Taylor - He is very weird to watch. On the one hand his weight clearly restricts his movement as he looks slow and can't even turn quicker than the QE2. Then at other times he is agile AF. In any case he looked lazy and at one point someone on the sidelines bellowed "****ing switch on Lewy!" when he gave a half-arsed effort in a one-on-one.

O'Connor - Barely sighted in the first half, and that was playing as a forward where it was down his end. Grew into the game and won two very impressive one on ones late.

Aliir - Standard Aliir game, both as a defender in the first half where he had some massive spoils and seemed more willing to jump up and impact contests much to the applause of those watching. Then in the ruck in the second half absolutely dominated, won about 4 clearances from roving his own footy which helped our mids get on top. Still looked lethargic though so if that's a determining factor in him not playing senior footy, didn't do enough to change that in my mind.

Rowles - Big call here but this kid might just be the fastest Swan I have seen since Rohan. His boots literally look like wheels when he gets going they are that quick. Played more as a half forward which I thought kinda wasted him. Would've preferred to see him using that run off half back instead of watching Ling, McInerney, Gray and Warner just chipping it around all game.

McLean - ******* frustrating. Was by far the dominant big man on the ground in the first half. Took 6 excellent marks - all contested - for three shots at goal. All missed. Took the wind out of his sails by the second half but somehow ended up with 3 goals and about 10 contested marks for the game. IMO he is clearly too good to not be playing senior footy for us, but at the same time he makes it hard to select him when he squanders potentially dominant games with poor finishing. Which brings me to...

Amartey - Who ended the day as the dominant big man on the ground. Competitive in the ruck in the first half then moved forward where he took mark after mark and finished with 3, should've had 4. A few of his shots were difficult too but he went back and slotted them. His effort at ground level was also really impressive, following up every contest with tackling pressure. Between he and McLean, I'd happily give either a go in the senior side.

No sign of Knoll out there.

Managed to catch the practice match (?) against Fremantle from a few days back. Worth noting that this was ridiculously low-intensity. Like below NEAFL level even. Fremantle players were like witches hats, and the game was played almost entirely in our forward half as we dominated proceedings. So bear that in mind...

Warner - Had some brilliant moments where he charged out of the middle to win quick, fast clearances and hit targets inside 50, and his second and third efforts were great to see. I'm almost positive half the stuff he did out there would not fly at all at AFL level, so I'm not convinced by him, but I'd be shocked if he wasn't selected this week.

Brand - Came on about 3/4 of the way through in his return from injury, and instantly looked our best key defender. Really sharp, albeit from incredibly limited opportunities to really do anything.

Clarke - Standard Clarke game. Racked up possessions and wasn't overly damaging with them. I'm pretty sure he wasn't on for the entire last 20 minutes or so, so possibly carrying a niggle?

Gray - Probably BOG for us. When others tired as the day wore on he kept going, running hard and presenting. Not sold on him but in fairness to him it was a good showing.

Gould - Forget about him debuting. Miles behind his opponent on a few occasions and got out-bodied badly on a few occasions as well. Think I counted two solid contested wins for him overall. He is going to be in for a long, long summer running laps.

Ling - Excellent contested game from Ling. Got beaten once late, but every other time he won his one on ones convincingly. Didn't see much by way of attacking from him, but defensively he was the most consistent throughout the day.

Franklin - Really impressed throwing the balls back into play from behind the goals. Clean arm, swift motion, looked good.

McInerney - Standard McInerney game really, used the ball well generally and worked hard but gets rag-dolled in tackles easily and also won about 80% of his possessions through uncontested cheapies in the back-line. Wasn't different enough from his usual form to suggest the coaches minds will be changed about him playing senior footy, but who knows.

Taylor - He is very weird to watch. On the one hand his weight clearly restricts his movement as he looks slow and can't even turn quicker than the QE2. Then at other times he is agile AF. In any case he looked lazy and at one point someone on the sidelines bellowed "****ing switch on Lewy!" when he gave a half-arsed effort in a one-on-one.

O'Connor - Barely sighted in the first half, and that was playing as a forward where it was down his end. Grew into the game and won two very impressive one on ones late.

Aliir - Standard Aliir game, both as a defender in the first half where he had some massive spoils and seemed more willing to jump up and impact contests much to the applause of those watching. Then in the ruck in the second half absolutely dominated, won about 4 clearances from roving his own footy which helped our mids get on top. Still looked lethargic though so if that's a determining factor in him not playing senior footy, didn't do enough to change that in my mind.

Rowles - Big call here but this kid might just be the fastest Swan I have seen since Rohan. His boots literally look like wheels when he gets going they are that quick. Played more as a half forward which I thought kinda wasted him. Would've preferred to see him using that run off half back instead of watching Ling, McInerney, Gray and Warner just chipping it around all game.

McLean - ******* frustrating. Was by far the dominant big man on the ground in the first half. Took 6 excellent marks - all contested - for three shots at goal. All missed. Took the wind out of his sails by the second half but somehow ended up with 3 goals and about 10 contested marks for the game. IMO he is clearly too good to not be playing senior footy for us, but at the same time he makes it hard to select him when he squanders potentially dominant games with poor finishing. Which brings me to...

Amartey - Who ended the day as the dominant big man on the ground. Competitive in the ruck in the first half then moved forward where he took mark after mark and finished with 3, should've had 4. A few of his shots were difficult too but he went back and slotted them. His effort at ground level was also really impressive, following up every contest with tackling pressure. Between he and McLean, I'd happily give either a go in the senior side.

No sign of Knoll out there.

Fantastic detail and greatly appreciated as always. A few questions:

- is Amartey a physical player from what you've seen? Does he throw his weight around?

- What are Gould's strengths at this stage?

- How is Rowles with ball in hand? Hit and hope or more skillful than that?

Took me 3 tries to read and make sense of this

Well done had a solid giggle hahaha

Fantastic detail and greatly appreciated as always. A few questions:

- is Amartey a physical player from what you've seen? Does he throw his weight around?

- What are Gould's strengths at this stage?

- How is Rowles with ball in hand? Hit and hope or more skillful than that?

I am probably not the right person to ask as I have literally only seen two of these reserves outings this year, but off those two outings...

Amartey - physical enough. He is probably somewhere in the middle of Mumford and Reid on the spectrum of 'physical big blokes'. The two times I have seen him this year though he has looked far more rounded than he was last year, where he had good moments but faded in and out and barely looked fit enough to make second and third efforts.

Gould - it sounds harsh, but I don't see any obvious strength right now. His highlights and SANFL form that I saw showed a kid with running power, brute strength, precise foot skills and an excellent reading of the play. He's just not got the fitness required atm which means he's labouring a lot, so he can't even win much of the footy to show off his intercepting, or his one-on-one work, or his foot skills, and he's not in his contests enough to even use the kind of aggression we saw in the Marsh game. His game is almost at the mercy of how behind he is fitness-wise though, so I'm not alarmed.

Rowles - he goes OK by hand and foot. He's no Blakey or Dawson by foot, but he doesn't butcher it either. Would love to see him get more involved because he looks really exciting every time he gets it. Could've had 3 goals in this game playing forward btw.

i put gould in the same category as l. taylor

dont care what his highlights show, you dont turn up to a club fat esp when u know u were going int he 1st/2nd rounds

dissapointing

We took him knowing the questions about his fitness issues. I'm gonna assume we are prepared to invest in helping him overcome those issues.

A 3-month shutdown where he went back home after a pre-season probably didn't help either.

We took him knowing the questions about his fitness issues. I'm gonna assume we are prepared to invest in helping him overcome those issues.

A 3-month shutdown where he went back home after a pre-season probably didn't help either.
Mum's cooking on the farm was probably a bit too good

Remove this Banner Ad

Back