Review The Kids Teach the Old Men A Lesson (Hawks Review)

Remove this Banner Ad

I want to put it out there. Hawthorn looked demoralised. When is the last time you’ve watched a Freo vs Hawthorn game and thought “wow, Hawthorn are terrible”? I’m thinking maybe 2002.

I don’t think there’s been a single occasion that a Clarkson coached side looked as uninterested and pathetic against us. Closest example I can think of is the 2010 final where they knew they were beaten in the last quarter. But tonight they looked as uncertain and panicky as the worst teams of ours I’ve seen.

Clarkson has been the best coach in the business, and they had a powerful win last week, but they were insipid. They were completely out coached. If we had better finishing skills inside 50 they’d have been annihilated.

The cohesiveness of our back six, considering we’ve been decimated for talls, is astounding. We seem to be developing midfield chemistry with only cameos from Fyfe, Mundy and Walters. All this under a first year coach? The future is looking bright, my friends.

Last edited:

Whoa whoa weee waaaaa

Where do I start??

The VICS will say Hawthorn were terrible. Lucky win for Freo blah blah blah. But I was there. We monstered them all over the ground all night long. Harder, faster and more skilled.

Our stoppage work, particularly centre bounce, has improved significantly. Don't remember any clean hawk clearances other than when blakely let O'Meara waltz out in the 1st. Brilliant.

The young mids. Yikes. I don't think Fyfe could get back in that midfield even if he wanted lol.
Serong - lightning hands, mesmerising
Cerra - sublime tonight, sensational
Brayshaw - continues to rack up A grade performances.
Mundy - pure class
I don't ever want to hear Angus Brayshaw's name mentioned ever again. Look at what the draft has produced for us!!! With more to come. No more B grade trades for now thanks.

Ryan - captain material, inspirational
Wilson - backed up from last week

I think we carried Frederick somewhat. His decision making isn't quite where it needs to be yet. Still love him though.

With the players we have missing we are about to explode on this competition and rocket up the ladder in 2021.

And I'm sticking with that until Carlton beat us on Saturday!!

I know it's Monday but jeez I wanna get pissed!

I was fairly pragmatic about the Ross sacking - thought he'd been screwed by injuries and was disappointed he didn't get to prove it with a fit list, but was also totally onboard with the need for a change etc. six of one etc... but JLo has beaten the hawks. I'm not even happy. Just sort of confused. We never even just lose to them. We get slaughtered. I've been so traumatised by hawthorn games.

Bye Ross, it's all about JLo now.

I’d like to see Frederick stay in, but I don’t think we should be gifting games. He needs to come out now after having a taste & I really think this will make him hungrier for future opportunities.
Great time to work on a few things, in particular his touches below the knees, composure with the ball & his decision making. He needs to look at the tape & realise he’s releasing the ball too soon & has more time than he thinks.
He’s going to be a very shrewd pick up & will own a wing in a year or 2’s time.

Freo easily the better team tonight, good win!

Not a great spectacle, mainly due to Clarko's mystery structure and game style (not sure which way we were kicking at times), but well played all the same!

Freo were far more effective in punishing Hawks errors during turnovers and really 99+ possessions is a smashing for any game, talk about hogging the ball you meanies - must check copyright infringement on that as I'm sure we patented 'ball hogging' years ago!

And as I suggested in your preview thread, if the disorganized 'ball watching' Hawks play tonight you'll win comfortably....

Last edited:
I’d like to see Frederick stay in, but I don’t think we should be gifting games. He needs to come out now after having a taste & I really think this will make him hungrier for future opportunities.
Great time to work on a few things, in particular his touches below the knees, composure with the ball & his decision making. He needs to look at the tape & realise he’s releasing the ball too soon & has more time than he thinks.
He’s going to be a very shrewd pick up & will own a wing in a year or 2’s time.
His body is up to it, his brain needs to catch up.
You can see he is up for it just had the tiny fumbles. Keep him in

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Freo easily the better team tonight, good win!

Not a great spectacle, mainly due to Clarko's mystery structure and game style (not sure which way we were kicking at times), but well played all the same!

Freo were far more effective in punishing Hawks errors during turnovers and really, 99+ possessions is a smashing for any game, talk about hogging the ball you meanies - must check copyright infringement on that as I'm sure we patented 'ball hogging' years ago!

And as I suggested in your preview thread, if the disorganized 'ball watching' Hawks play tonight you'll win comfortably....
Do you think you can bring the umpires down next week?
Nul the umpire & you will win the game against worst coast 🤣

Biggest positive for me is that the structure around, in front and behind the ball appears to have improved out of sight the last month (I'm not including the Geelong game in the downpour).

We defend stoppages so much better, when we HAVE to smash a kick forward out of a pack, the forwards are better positioned and make a contest almost every time (seriously, I'm actually calm when we boot it forward out of a pack now where previously I knew it was a turn over every time).

The defense, given who its missing is incredible.

The next step forward for this team is having the confidence to be more aggressive through the middle and playing on where possible. We are cautious at the moment unless its completely obvious we need to run'n'gun. That will increase the scoring by 20% and take us to contention.

Cant wait to see where JL takes this team

1. Brayshaw, Cerra, Serong take a bow
2. Can we clone Mundy
3. We beat a side we've always struggled to beat.
4. Crowden, I was wrong

-'s/ constructive criticism
1. Freddy needs to improve his touch, plenty of fumbles.
2. Colyer was good till he pinged his hammy. Need to find a replacement
How good was Crowden, hey! That kid went after it hard, very impressive. I was excited on draft day when we picked him. I thought he had it in him from the vision that I saw and what he's shown up til now.

On SM-T835 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Cox has been great the last couple of games

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
He's had no choice but to be great, really. No one else of size that can play key back other than him, currently. Good to see his mettle is solid after some of the fears of him being soft echoed around.

On SM-T835 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Only negative for me was Lobb. Not sure what is worse, the shuffle or the crowd mocking the shuffle to the extent that he has no hope kicking it.
I said before the game he might need a rest next game and I am convinced of it now.
Otherwise there were just positives everywhere.

Biggest positive for me is that the structure around, in front and behind the ball appears to have improved out of sight the last month (I'm not including the Geelong game in the downpour).

We defend stoppages so much better, when we HAVE to smash a kick forward out of a pack, the forwards are better positioned and make a contest almost every time (seriously, I'm actually calm when we boot it forward out of a pack now where previously I knew it was a turn over every time).

The defense, given who its missing is incredible.

The next step forward for this team is having the confidence to be more aggressive through the middle and playing on where possible. We are cautious at the moment unless its completely obvious we need to run'n'gun. That will increase the scoring by 20% and take us to contention.

Cant wait to see where JL takes this team
I think a lot of that caution is because of who’s missing down back.

Hogan will help that as it frees up each player down the line. Ryan’s role goes back to third man up with more license to play off his man, which frees up Hughes, Wilson & Hill to be more creative off half back.

At the moment we’re not taking as many intercept marks in the back half as Ryan is taking care of much bigger opponents, we are grinding a win down back with weight of numbers & creating a stoppage closer to the wing.

Hopefully freeing up Ryan & Hughes will mean cleaner intercepts & catching the opposition out of position on turnover.

I think a lot of that caution is because of who’s missing down back.

Hogan will help that as it frees up each player down the line. Ryan’s role goes back to third man up with more license to play off his man, which frees up Hughes, Wilson & Hill to be more creative off half back.

At the moment we’re not taking as many intercept marks in the back half as Ryan is taking care of much bigger opponents, we are grinding a win down back with weight of numbers & creating a stoppage closer to the wing.

Hopefully freeing up Ryan & Hughes will mean cleaner intercepts & catching the opposition out of position on turnover.
Yeah, its probably a bit of that, I think its also just learning the game plan on instinct first.

When its 2nd nature they'll take the more aggressive option.

Like you said, it will also help having Ryan as the free man and Young who can take the inside option from 50m away

As one of his original buddies, I ******* love Mitch Crowden, he’s damn exciting to watch with or without ball in hand. oddly his attempted chase down of Worpel in the last term stands out the most to me, another 3 steps and Crowden would have absolutely flattened him.

As one of his original buddies, I ******* love Mitch Crowden, he’s damn exciting to watch with or without ball in hand. oddly his attempted chase down of Worpel in the last term stands out the most to me, another 3 steps and Crowden would have absolutely flattened him.
Getting more and more ridiculous that Banfield was playing ahead of him for so long. Crowden is infinitely better in that role

Remove this Banner Ad

Back