General MFC Discussion 2.0

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The flat out dismissive part :(
which part was dismissive?

Neither are out and out A grade players

Both have have some good form, may probably more so than Lever

But both still have queries which I hope they can answer in the second half of the season. Lever needs to prove he is a very good 1 on 1 defender and May needs to show that he doesn't panic when the pressure is really on.

which part was dismissive?

Neither are out and out A grade players

Both have have some good form, may probably more so than Lever

But both still have queries which I hope they can answer in the second half of the season. Lever needs to prove he is a very good 1 on 1 defender and May needs to show that he doesn't panic when the pressure is really on.

The first sentence when you said no

You know who I 100% see now in May? Anthony Ingerson. Think about it. The comparison is scary.

The first sentence when you said no

You know who I 100% see now in May? Anthony Ingerson. Think about it. The comparison is scary.
I liked Ingerson. But that might just be because his successor (Nicholason) was so ******* bad

I liked Ingerson. But that might just be because his successor (Nicholason) was so ******* bad

I loved Ingo, he was a deadset gun. Reliable as old boots.

It should be illegal to have s**t opinions on Lever my god it’s like people don’t watch the games. They both criticise and praise the wrong things and you can tell they haven’t been following closely bc it’s all group think

It should be illegal to have sh*t opinions on Lever my god it’s like people don’t watch the games. They both criticise and praise the wrong things and you can tell they haven’t been following closely bc it’s all group think

I think Lever has been fairly good since the Gold Coast game. That's when his play went up a notch.

I think Lever has been fairly good since the Gold Coast game.
I just think he’s been mostly fine for us. Whether he’s lifted to any particularly good form in the last few weeks I can’t say but I think for the most part other than his poor first few for us he’s performed more or less at the level required of him. Had a few weeks of AA form in 2018, looked like a player coming off ACL and ankle injuries last year, and this year has been a solid contributor in a back six that’s playing well enough as a unit most weeks that even if he was starring you wouldn’t notice (I’m not even sure what it would look like) and it wouldn’t make much difference but people will see one marking contest which he loses or one failed kill on the goal line and assume he’s playing rubbish. Has definitely been getting up the field more in the past few weeks and having more of an offensive impact which is a good string to add to his bow in his sixth year but I reckon his defensive value would only truly be shown if you took him out of the side and watched the entire back 6 fell apart. It’s like Hibberd, we look so much better back there when he’s in form. Those two make the defence more than the sum of its parts because of the way they cover territory, whereas with May who’s having more of a conventionally good season what you see is pretty much what you get (which isn’t a bad thing) - damaging possession and consistent 1v1 wins at his best, and if you tried to replace him with OMac it would be a huge step down in those capacities obviously but structurally we’d be the same. I don’t know if people expect Lever to take 10 soaring intercept marks per week but I don’t think we recruited him for an elite skill set so much as his defensive brain. He’s the guy (along with Hibberd) that’s meant to make sure the rest of the defenders have fewer 1v1s to deal with in the first place, and have an offensive impact doing it. Everyone else slots into place.

Lever's toughness these past two weeks in particular can't be underestimated either, has coped some big hits standing his ground in the hole.

I like the fact hes backing himself again now, when he decides to leave his man to cut off an opposition attack it usually saves our bacon. Got burnt once yesterday when May had to deal with that 1 on 2 but I saw three other occasions where he came up and met the ball carrier before they could dispose of the ball. And when he goes he goes hard.

Can see his game and confidence growing.

Lever's toughness these past two weeks in particular can't be underestimated either, has coped some big hits standing his ground in the hole.

I like the fact hes backing himself again now, when he decides to leave his man to cut off an opposition attack it usually saves our bacon. Got burnt once yesterday when May had to deal with that 1 on 2 but I saw three other occasions where he came up and met the ball carrier before they could dispose of the ball. And when he goes he goes hard.

Can see his game and confidence growing.

This is why I think hes been average till yesterday, I want him to attack the footy and intercept more. Don't care if he drops marks at least he is going for them. He gives a huge amount of drive from the back half when he does this.

My opinion on Lever he has been good and solid, but we need more than solid. We need Lever to play footy so good that he is a lock for the back 6 in the AA. That's where we need to get him to, because if he does it will take us from being a 8th placed side that beats the bottom sides and is found wanting against the top sides, and will push us to the top end of the ladder.

Not saying Lever is the sole piece to the puzzle, but he is a big part of us becoming a better side.

Lots of chatter that we may be quite ruthless with our players who are OOC, I thought I would look at who is on that list...

- Nietschke: Mahoney confirmed he would be re-signed when he did his 2nd ACL, don't know if that changes with proposed list reductions. Is he in QLD?
- Bradtke: Has been some scuttlebutt that he is tracking really well. May get a chance to keep growing
- Fritsch: 2-3 year extension
- Spargo: If Sunday is an indicator, deserves another year
- C. Wagner: Gooone
- Bennell: 2 years
- Petty: Still have big hopes for him. Depends on injury status but would assume re-signs
- Viney: Sign him up. 3-4 years
- Jordon: Really want to see him in action. Hopefully soon
- Lockhart: 2-3 years for sure. Jet
- Hunt: I like him, but might be time for a tough call
- J.Smith: It's him or OMac. One or the other
- J. Wagner: Gooone
- Chandler: If we don't see him soon, assume gone.
- Dunkley: As above
- Hore: I really hope we keep him, but not entirely confident that the Club rates him as highly as I do...
- Hibberd: 1-2 years
- Jonesy: Retirement looms. Genuine shame he won't break Club games record IMO
- Brown: Gooone unless we're going to play him
- Hannan: 2 years
- OMac: Him or JSmith. One or the other
- Bedford: If we don't see him soon, assume gone
- Sparrow: Assume gets another couple of years
- ANB: Assume gone. Hard to justify keeping him

Trade bait: Preuss

Big guns who we could possibly trade if price was right: Brayshaw, Harmes (prefer to keep)

Believe KK has one more year. Assume some sort of mutual parting of ways here?

And like that, it's time to retire this old girl.

Head on over to Part III to continue on the discussion.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back