Who has benefited most under Longmuir so far, and who hasn't?

Remove this Banner Ad

Thrived
- Taberner
- Serong
- Brayshaw
- Cerra
- Aish
Not really sure if this is all about Longmuir.

Aish, not sure where he was at at Collingwood. Didn't play all game but average stats looks very similar.

Taberner has an injury free season for the first time.

Serong is in his first year, so who knows. Even when it is hard to believe Roos had given a 1st years player so many games early.

Brawshaw and Cerra could just be natural improvement.

I reckon the player that has benefited the most from Longmuir is actually Sam Sturt; if Ross Lyon was still at the club he would have tried to have converted him to a midfielder, but Longmuir played him in the position he grew up playing and he looks to have developed a lot quicker and just a lot more comfortable. He also gave him a go a lot earlier than I thought was even maybe warranted on form, but that proved to be a good move before he was cruelled by injury.

I would pick McCarthy as the player that has suffered the most, although arguably Matera and Blakely are also around the mark. I hear what Taylor suggested about the epilepsy medication, but trying to train and play him as a wingman has always felt to me as though it was a risky decision which was potentially not going to be beneficial to McCarthy himself (though I am not ignoring the fact that Lyon's team tried him at half back at WAFL level as well).

Too early to tell.

Taberner was just as good in 2018 & 2019 until he got injured.

Wilson has played better games for us. But he's always up and down and has struggled to play through injury. It's why he only cost a second round pick.

Ryan was in a lot of neutral AA teams last year until the last few months.

On face value Blakely has gone backwards, but if he continues to play in the center I think he will benefit from that far more.

You expect the young kids to improve naturally, but I've been impressed with Cerra's year a lot cleaner.

After 30 goals last year you'd have to say Matera has gone backwards.

I don't think we've seen Fyfe at his best yet, but that also because the other mids are starting ro carry their weight. The hamstrings haven't helped either.

Taberner benefiting from Hogan not playing, as much as he is from JLo. Forced to play deep whilst Lobb takes his traditional role of roaming the wings and HF. He could’ve been the third tall with Hogan the star forward. Who knows.
Hogan coming back opens up headaches for the defenders. But quite like JLo tactic of chucking Fyfe forward to open up Tabs on the second defender.

the other thing people should realize with Fyfe in the fwd line is he is a credible tackling / smothering threat in the forward line. Tabs Hogan and Lobb are typically not great on the defensive side. Having all three makes it easy for opposition to kind of waltz out of the fwd line.

Benefited most, Fremantle, we have delved deep into our list & have been competitive in all games.
Benefited least, Collingwood, even when they were without injuries they looked a shadow of their best & a lot of Pies supporters were devastated when Jlo left as they felt he was the brains behind the 2018 season & their better play.

I'm thinking of Ross Lyons 1st season on who improved and who suffered.

Johnson got a 2nd chance so did guys like clancee Pearce and especially Michael Walters.

Nick lower was a regular under Harvey in 2011 and was phased out. Greg Broughton looked solid in some parts of the ground and was settled in the backline.

Antoni Grover played like 2 games in 2012 but he was already 32 years old. He wasn't going to get a game Infront of Dawson, McPharlin and Johnson

I'm thinking of Ross Lyons 1st season on who improved and who suffered.

Johnson got a 2nd chance so did guys like clancee Pearce and especially Michael Walters.

Nick lower was a regular under Harvey in 2011 and was phased out. Greg Broughton looked solid in some parts of the ground and was settled in the backline.

Antoni Grover played like 2 games in 2012 but he was already 32 years old. He wasn't going to get a game Infront of Dawson, McPharlin and Johnson
Seemed like guys like Josh Mellington were close to getting extended runs in the team too but injury screwed him over he looked to be a decent player

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Longmuir seems to be pretty inclusive and genuinely buy into the 'team effort' philosophy. Probably means guys like Fyfe/Hogan/Walters might see slightly less oppurtunity to shine individually, but guys of that caliber will always perform at a high level. On the other end of that, guys like Aish/Serong and even Blakely will benefit from getting more opportunity in critical positions and not being hid in that small forward role.

Longmuir seems to be pretty inclusive and genuinely buy into the 'team effort' philosophy. Probably means guys like Fyfe/Hogan/Walters might see slightly less oppurtunity to shine individually, but guys of that caliber will always perform at a high level. On the other end of that, guys like Aish/Serong and even Blakely will benefit from getting more opportunity in critical positions and not being hid in that small forward role.
There is no eye in team.
But the same went for Ross in the first 3 years. A team of b graders bought I'm & they were a fuvking machine..

Benefited most, Fremantle, we have delved deep into our list & have been competitive in all games.
Benefited least, Collingwood, even when they were without injuries they looked a shadow of their best & a lot of Pies supporters were devastated when Jlo left as they felt he was the brains behind the 2018 season & their better play.

The Chris Scott-Brett Kirk effect is what Collingwood are experiencing right now

Based on this last month, which is a good sample size - you can't convince that someone has benifited more than Cox. I feel like JLo has ignited some passion in Cox. He's suddenly beaming with confidence and making a lot of smart and more instinctual plays especially with ball in hand (just look at his body language and how he moves now also), which I'm sure we never would have seen come out of him under the previous more conditioned game-plan.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back