Opinion Posts That Don't Deserve a Thread (Random Opinion or Questions)

9B26F4FF-FC21-48EE-B21B-A32C73B50972.jpeg

Back to the red v ?

From the article.

"“It’s not just Sydney, it represents everything we are. The Opera House isn’t just for the elite through Sydney’s culture and arts but it actually represents every Australia."

"but it actually represents every Australia."

"represents every Australia."

wat.

There's no [sic] so either he actually said that in which case he's a moron. Or he didn't and the author is a moron.

Taking bets on both?

Oct 2, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
From the article.

"“It’s not just Sydney, it represents everything we are. The Opera House isn’t just for the elite through Sydney’s culture and arts but it actually represents every Australia."

wat.

There's no [sic] so either he actually said that in which case he's a moron. Or he didn't and the author is a moron.

Taking bets on both?
The Opera house isn't just for the elite, that's why he's introducing a $50,000 licencing fee.......🤔

Corpuscles

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 3, 2006
Lunatic Park
AFL Club
Sydney
From the article.

wat.

Taking bets on both?

True story:
(Shared here years ago - but take it or leave it.)

I was working consulting at a business in Glebe Pt Rd. After knock off late I ran to every pub on The Broadway (main drag into CBD) hoping to see the last true State of origin clash SA V Big Vic. No pub was showing it and refused to change channel, one mob literally threw me out for suggesting it. (The ol' days in NSW)
I then ran to the Swans Club at Kings Cross (yes in business attire) surely I could see it there?!
Disgusted every TV on 3 floors had Rugby League on.
There was a "suggestion box " at the bottom of the stairs. I wrote a scathing letter in red ink. In part suggesting Swans needed to do more to identify with Sydney people as THE locals hostilely referred to "aerial ping pong and a Mexican game" and I had blood spilt today to prove it. I also suggested bolder red in the guernsey.

Pissed off and thirsty I downed several schooners.
I was tapped on the shoulder by a bloke who asked if I wrote the letter??? ... I thought here we go again!!! I am being evicted!!! and shaped up this time.
Nah.... he quickly introduced himself as a Quade (Daniel I think ) Ricky's cousin who was Secretary and on the board and advised there was a meeting soon about the guernsey and branding and wanted to discuss it. Did I have any more ideas?

I grabbed a coaster and said I have just been consulting with Midnight Oil - the Band (different matter) . But they have a distinctive trademark ( a hand - like aboriginal imprint as their publishing label identifier). I drew a rough hand on a coaster as an example. I said you need something, a logo that says "Sydney"

Quade then immediately said that (hand) looks like the Opera House!!!.
I said thru bleary eyes OK Good! (I was now pissed and getting worse )
Now, I said I like the Melbourne jumper (so why not make a contrast Melbourne club / Sydney club with white instead of blue) but before that drew the Swan with the so suggested "opera house" as his fuffled tail feathers!

BloodsLogoCropped.png

The original ( I think not sure ) did not have the V at top - later board decision I guess?
Also other alts were obviously rejected.

Mr Quade happily shouted many more beers on the Club! Many more beer coasters were drawn on. Which he was determined to collect every one, despite me offering to draw it up properly for him later (no charge). The full original change Swans kit was designed that night. All credit due to Mr Quade, I wanted none!

So tell the Opera House whiney toffy w***ers that it was originally intended as ruffled Swans tail feathers and the likeness to their establishment is purely coincidental luck ! It can easily be changed, with additions, to reflect that.
Stick their money grabbing $50K!demand up their ...a***!

Apology to all the Vic based South Melbourne Oldies who love the original I played in, but the need to identify local was crucial at the time)

Last edited:

nick1408

Club Legend
Dec 12, 2010
Why?
AFL Club
Richmond
I hope you guys win this fight. It's ridiculous and purely a money grab as they are most likely short right now (as everyone is).

What happens if all the teams choose to not display the Swan tail? Their cash grab fails. At least you do have the old South Melbourne strip to fall back on.

Would you guys be the highest profile club wearing the Opera House?

RobbieK

Cancelled
Aug 20, 2009
AFL Club
Sydney
I hope you guys win this fight. It's ridiculous and purely a money grab as they are most likely short right now (as everyone is).

What happens if all the teams choose to not display the Swan tail? Their cash grab fails. At least you do have the old South Melbourne strip to fall back on.

Would you guys be the highest profile club wearing the Opera House?

The Sydney Kings and Sydney FC have it too, but I'd say the Swans jersey is the most complete incorporation of the symbol of the Opera House in to a clubs branding and identity.

In saying that, I personally wouldn't have a problem just dropping it and returning to the South Melbourne V. I suspect most on here would feel the same.

Olian

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 12, 2013
Between the Bridges
AFL Club
Sydney
One of the reasons they moved away from the red v was to differentiate themselves from St George who also have the red v in the NRL.

In the fickle Sydney sporting market the Swans still need to stand out to survive.

One of the reasons they moved away from the red v was to differentiate themselves from St George who also have the red v in the NRL.

In the fickle Sydney sporting market the Swans still need to stand out to survive.
Can't say that I totally agree, I think we've developed enough of a local following to be able to sport the Red V and everyone know who we are.
Personally I think it would be great.

Can't say that I totally agree, I think we've developed enough of a local following to be able to sport the Red V and everyone know who we are.
Agree - people follow code one or the other or both anyway.

And if you are basically invested with St G or the Swans up to buying merchandise stage you are not going to confuse them. It is a lot more mature market now and people know what AFL is in Sydney.

Olian

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 12, 2013
Between the Bridges
AFL Club
Sydney
Fair enough. The opera house has been incorporated into the jersey since 1987. Going back to a South Melbourne style jumper when the Swans have been in Sydney for 40 years seems odd.

The success of AFL relies on academies, VFL, a grassroots roots fields for the kids to play on.
Richard Hinds writes how increased council rates are destroying sporting clubs.

Council fee hikes threaten to wipe out community sports clubs

Kiama Chris

Norm Smith Medallist
May 10, 2016
Kiama
AFL Club
Sydney
The Sydney Kings and Sydney FC have it too, but I'd say the Swans jersey is the most complete incorporation of the symbol of the Opera House in to a clubs branding and identity.

In saying that, I personally wouldn't have a problem just dropping it and returning to the South Melbourne V. I suspect most on here would feel the same.
I've only ever followed Sydney (since 1993), not Sth Melbourne so back to the future doesn't do it for me.

Can any NSWelsh ladies or gentlemen answer me this: Is the AFL really up against rugby in Sydney, or is the AFL just up against a detachment from sport in general in Sydney?

Because I often hear about our need to compete in the "rugby-dominated Sydney market", but every single game of rugby I have ever seen in Sydney, the stadiums always look more than half empty. And even the cricket, with the exception of the test matches, I can't say I've ever seen crowds at the BBL big enough to compete with SCG crowds for the Swans.

I get we are not yet to the city of Sydney what Richmond or Collingwood are to Melbourne, or what West Coast are to Perth. But is that because the AFL is competing with other sports, or because Sydney folk just aren't as sports-centric as in other cities? Cause from the outside looking in I haven't seen any club in any code from any sport in NSW generate as much hype as us, yet we still can't quite break into that genuine powerhouse status.

Was just curious as I was chatting about it with a mate in Sydney today. Am I on the money or way off here? Cheers folks!

Can any NSWelsh ladies or gentlemen answer me this: Is the AFL really up against rugby in Sydney, or is the AFL just up against a detachment from sport in general in Sydney?

Because I often hear about our need to compete in the "rugby-dominated Sydney market", but every single game of rugby I have ever seen in Sydney, the stadiums always look more than half empty. And even the cricket, with the exception of the test matches, I can't say I've ever seen crowds at the BBL big enough to compete with SCG crowds for the Swans.

I get we are not yet to the city of Sydney what Richmond or Collingwood are to Melbourne, or what West Coast are to Perth. But is that because the AFL is competing with other sports, or because Sydney folk just aren't as sports-centric as in other cities? Cause from the outside looking in I haven't seen any club in any code from any sport in NSW generate as much hype as us, yet we still can't quite break into that genuine powerhouse status.

Was just curious as I was chatting about it with a mate in Sydney today. Am I on the money or way off here? Cheers folks!
Ha ha ha... they're talking about League as in Rugby League, also know as footy and/or NFL...

And in Sydney, you don't go to the game, you watch it the pub with your mates! The stadiums are for family and friends, and they are mostly empty! They consider a crowd of about 10-12K an excellent crowd... most of stadiums are quite small anyway (although that is changing).

You can't drive to the game, because where would you park? And if you do drive, who is going to be the one not drinking? And when you kick on into Friday or Saturday night, what do you do with the car?

And how do all those blokes in Melbourne, SA and WA get away with leaving their gfs at home...

Ha ha ha... they're talking about League as in Rugby League, also know as footy and/or NFL...

And in Sydney, you don't go to the game, you watch it the pub with your mates! The stadiums are for family and friends, and they are mostly empty! They consider a crowd of about 10-12K an excellent crowd... most of stadiums are quite small anyway (although that is changing).

You can't drive to the game, because where would you park? And if you do drive, who is going to be the one not drinking? And when you kick on into Friday or Saturday night, what do you do with the car?

And how do all those blokes in Melbourne, SA and WA get away with leaving their gfs at home...
It's not NFL Kirksy, that's the American one, in Sydney they play NRL.

Kapers

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 25, 2019
AFL Club
Sydney

To build of Kirkswans post, Sydney has a myriad of competing sports. Most AFL supporters I meet are from other states. Worked with rugby fans, and cricket enthusiasts, but struggle to find NSW born AFL fans. So much competition when it comes to sport.

To build of Kirkswans post, Sydney has a myriad of competing sports. Most AFL supporters I meet are from other states. Worked with rugby fans, and cricket enthusiasts, but struggle to find NSW born AFL fans. So much competition when it comes to sport.

So in short... all the codes there are stealing fans from each other?

It's not NFL Kirksy, that's the American one, in Sydney they play NRL.
Lol! Did you guess I don't follow it? Grew up in the heartland, and it lost me almost from the moment I saw an AFL game...

Back