Review Good/Bad vs Collingwood, 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

A good question of course and anyone watching SANFL last year would tell you his selection ought to have been in the last 3-4 games 2019.
Its just absolutly *n crazy when you think about it.

instead of getting games into Sholl and Hamill last year, when we all saw what they were offering in the SANFL, we continued to give those games to Mackay, lazy plodders like Atkins, and a totally cooked guys like Douglas.

then on top of that we kept The Fog in the seconds, playing in defense mind you!!!! (FMD), for most of the year and continued giving games to a clearly injured Tex and ******* Jenkins who was out the door at the seasons end.

The utter incompetence of the list management shown in these decisions alone is simply austounding...

Everyone of the line coaches and selectors at the club, plus the management shouldve been marched out the ******* door for it.. yet many are still here and Mookay is still getting games. Brilliant!.

I'm not sure that's correct.

He's being taught to be more attacking so he's going to make mistakes. Technically he's pretty sound.

I think he'll be a decent player but can't see him ever being a good kick. His set shot from 15m out the other week was one of the worst approaches and kicks I've seen. Needs to follow Talia's example and eliminate the high risk kicks from his game.

Poor old smithers..I'm a big fan but he cost us tonight. To his defence all week he heard and had to explain why did we keep kicking long down the line...he didn't look there once and wanted to switch or come inside. He cost us goals but in my view he was doing the right thing just had a bad night with the foot.
Exactly right. These were 'positive errors' if that makes sense.

Small progress!

Its just absolutly fu**n crazy when you think about it.

instead of getting games into Sholl and Hamill last year, when we all saw what they were offering in the SANFL, we continued to give those games to Mackay, lazy plodders like Atkins, and a totally cooked guys like Douglas.

then on top of that we kept The Fog in the seconds, playing in defense mind you!!!! (FMD), for most of the year and continued giving games to a clearly injured Tex and ******* Jenkins who was out the door at the seasons end.

The utter incompetence of the list management shown in these decisions alone is simply austounding...

Everyone of the line coaches and selectors at the club, plus the management shouldve been marched out the ******* door for it.. yet many are still here and Mookay is still getting games. Brilliant!.
I think the frustrating thing is the “revelation” of playing Laird in the guts.

He was already trailing off last year with the 666. We had a ready replacement for him in Sholl. Why on earth wouldn’t they have let Laird of the leash then?

The answer is almost robotic of course. Laird is small defender, must play as small defender. Must retain continuity.

I'd just like to add a weekly FU to Matt Crouch for his pointless stat padding.

Start of last quarter last night, Laird gets hands on the first centre bounce, is running clear ready to kick. If he kicks the ball, it lands around CHF area and we have the first clearance. Instead, Matt Crouch, standing flat footed in front of Laird calls for the ball. He gets the handball from Laird and then immediately handballs it back to him as he comes past. The play achieved exactly nothing, except the time it took meant that Laird was a step closer to the Collingwood players when he went to kick. The kick was smothered, it bounced to a Collingwood player and they got a clean clearance.

Matt Crouch's selfish stat padding immediately set us on the back foot. Again. Like every week. The sooner we get rid of him the better.

Some really positive signs last night. Not even going to bother with the negatives. We are rebuilding - the prerequisite to rebuild is that we must be shite. Accept that, and move on. Not looking forward to seeing the lads lose again in 5 days... but I am looking forward to watching the kids play. And that's why I am going.

Dropping ROB so we could carry a cooked/departing Jacobs to 200 games was the worst decision of the lot. Should have been an instant sacking for whoever had that idea.

We also fly there almost every second week providing plenty of opp for family catchups. I do think we need to review our pay structures. If we draft a star and develop them into an afl star then we need to pay star wages.
I am glad we are not paying Gov and Lever what they wanted to stay.

But we shoukd have kept Cameron, and woukd have if we respected his capability, as Brisbane did.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Chad Wingard, Jack Macrae, Jaidyn Stephenson, Sam Petrevski-Seton, Aaron Francis and Caleb Marchbank..

geez.. not that big a curse if you ask me..
I’d have wingard, Macrae, stephenson, francis in our side right this minute before more than half of the lads we have..

SPS hasnt been too bad this year from what i’ve seen.. but he and Marchbank havent exactly set the world on fire since their debuts.. not exactly total duds though..

Did anyone notice that after the centre clearance that Laird got smothered and became an easy Collingwood entry, that Laird's next possession was possibly the highest kick I've ever seen him do, which is saying something

Could be a coincidence as he was pressured and snapping around the body but I did make a mental 'lol' to myself -

I am glad we are not paying Gov and Lever what they wanted to stay.

But we shoukd have kept Cameron, and woukd have if we respected his capability, as Brisbane did.

I dont think at the end of the day that Cameron was ever going to stay tbh..

i think they thought.. he’s gone next year when hes OOC so we might as well trade him this year which gives us more power at the trade table..

got to also remember the lions came last that year and the crows were probably also thinking if we hold onto Charlie until he’s OOC at the end of 2018 and the lions come close to bottom again.. if he goes then he could go to the lions in the PSD and we’ll get nothing..

Chad Wingard, Jack Macrae, Jaidyn Stephenson, Sam Petrevski-Seton, Aaron Francis and Caleb Marchbank..

geez.. not that big a curse if you ask me..
This one too. The last few years have definitely seen improvement in selections at pick 6 as recruiting becomes more professional.

I note the better the team, the better the player picked looks too!
2019 was Fischer v Will Day (Mutineer ;) )

I love the Nicks move the ball game plan. How refreshing is watching a game with no stop, stand, wait, look, think and then bomb high under pressure down field to where the opposition knew the ball would come anyway. Major step forward. Major. Keep going Nicksy. Just a bit more execution and we can improve solidly.
In an unrelated post, does anyone know how Jake Kelly went in the scratch match?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I agree, but that's not list management, that was selection policy. I'd suggest that Don, Campo and the rest of the coaches were responsible for this, though the 'make the finals and anything can happen' and fear of failure mantra from the board would be the root cause of this.

I think he'll be a decent player but can't see him ever being a good kick. His set shot from 15m out the other week was one of the worst approaches and kicks I've seen. Needs to follow Talia's example and eliminate the high risk kicks from his game.
McAsey isn’t a bad kick but he isn’t a good kick either. I think it is unlikely it becomes a weapon but he is in year one. Doedee started as a below par kick, now he is pretty good.

For now I’d like to see him continue taking a risk every now and then. Now is the time.

Last quarter of the GF protecting a 11 point lead maybe not, but I don’t think we will be in that situation any time soon.

I dont think at the end of the day that Cameron was ever going to stay tbh..

i think they thought.. he’s gone next year when hes OOC so we might as well trade him this year which gives us more power at the trade table..

got to also remember the lions came last that year and the crows were probably also thinking if we hold onto Charlie until he’s OOC at the end of 2018 and the lions come close to bottom again.. if he goes then he could go to the lions in the PSD and we’ll get nothing..
He wanted more money, Brisbane were offering more.

They identified his talent and went after it.

Pretty good source on this.

No homesickness or wanting to leave for other reasons. Just the coin, he is not nieve and has good management.

The wasted salary in Gibbs should have been used better.

Some good stats and bad stats from last night

Good

O'Brien won hitouts to advantage over Grundy 10-6, from 61-50 ruck contests

McHenry, despite not finding much of the ball, was 3rd for pressure acts with 20

McAdam and Stengle both had 5 score involvements, showing they are getting involved in the play when not hitting the scoreboard.

Mackay had 6 intercept possessions, not his known game

3 of Himmelberg's 5 marks were contested

McPherson won/nullified all 5 of his defensive one on one battles

Bad

Matt Crouch went at 36% kicking efficiency

6 of Smith's 21 touches were turnovers

McAsey lost 3 of his 5 defensive one on one battles

Seedsman had 23 pressure acts for 1 tackle, shows his pressure around the ball wasn't very effective

Both Walker and Fogarty were statistically horrible

Did anyone notice that after the centre clearance that Laird got smothered and became an easy Collingwood entry, that Laird's next possession was possibly the highest kick I've ever seen him do, which is saying something

Could be a coincidence as he was pressured and snapping around the body but I did make a mental 'lol' to myself -
I remember laughing at that kick..

Laird played well in the centre last night.. got to persist with it.

what was also funny was at the start of the second quarter before the bounce when the camera was showing Laird starting the quarter on the bench..

One of the Commentators was pointing out how Laird had dominated the first quarter with 12 or so touches.. and Dunstall goes something along the lines of “so what the hell have they got him starting on the bench for?... he’s just had an 8 minute break.. why the hell would you have clearly your best player starting on the bench??”...

Again.. Just another one of those dumbfounding decisions this club seems to excel in making at the moment I suppose.

what was even funnier was when one of them meantioned Dunstall being the one who did the review last year.. and how the crows havent won a game since it.. basically giving Dunstall a couple of cheap shots over it as if to say “mustve been a s**t review”!!.. and all of them then laughing at him..

He wanted more money, Brisbane were offering more.

They identified his talent and went after it.

Pretty good source on this.

No homesickness or wanting to leave for other reasons. Just the coin, he is not nieve and has good management.

The wasted salary in Gibbs should have been used better.

Yep and since bringing him in they've let him play to his strengths.

Crows really tried to smother him by forcing him to play a very particular role.

Not saying he didn't play well just not sure he is going to be the answer in the mid field long term. I mean if your ok with handballs back and forth with MCrouch that go no where good for you.
Now your trying to justify your comment which basically said that he played like Mrouch. Laird had plenty of touches and many of his disposals last night were not simply wasted. I am not a great lover of Laird and he deserves some of the criticism he gets but not tonight but if you cant recognise a good performance, good for you.

3 of Himmelberg's 5 marks were contested

McPherson won/nullified all 5 of his defensive one on one battles
This is why I’m still watching our games. These two took a massive step forward again last night. As did Stengle and McAdam.

next week these four might be quiet but it will hopefully be Fog, McAsey, Ned etc showing the signs.

this is what a rebuild looks like. Lots of yo-yo’ing from the young guys but hopefully an underlying upward trend over time.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back