Review Good/Bad vs Collingwood, 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

Watching the replay and geez Stengle is just all class whenever he gets the ball, so damaging with ball in hand. Never rushes his disposal and waits as long as possible to make the usually right decision. Also applies great defensive pressure inside 50 to lock the ball in.

Smith had one horrible turnover but outside of that played an excellent game, his kicking was sublime, that’s why the turnover was such a surprise! Literally the kick just before that he laced out the Seed with a 45 metre pass where he didn’t break stride. He then laced out McAdam inside 50 not long after, so I’m glad the one bad turnover didn’t shy him away from taking risks.

ROB had Grundy’s measure most of the night, having a very good season and may be leading the B&F now.

McHenry had some nice passages of play in the first half but faded in the 2nd. Sholl was silk all night and knows how to find enough of the ball (16 disposals). Schoenberg broke away from a congested area a couple of times and kicked it well (a bit like Jones) and definitely has the tools for a long career. McPherson was solid again but needed to back himself in when he was running inside 50 during the 2nd quarter and could’ve run at least another 10 metres and had a shot.

Laird was a serious beast and as I said earlier, has a surprising burst speed from stoppages and used the ball quite well by foot and hand. Despite the loss he was a clear BOG I think.

Himmelberg is really attacking marking contests well now and is starting to clunk more and more too. Hitting the scoreboard on a more regular basis as well.

That non 15 metre kick call was most definitely 15 metres at the end of the 3rd quarter and cost us two goals. If that is in any other area of the ground they would pay it. Brown then missed a very easy mark from the quick kick back in after that which forced McAsey into an errant handball under pressure, very poor from Brown.

I remember laughing at that kick..

Laird played well in the centre last night.. got to persist with it.

what was also funny was at the start of the second quarter before the bounce when the camera was showing Laird starting the quarter on the bench..

One of the Commentators was pointing out how Laird had dominated the first quarter with 12 or so touches.. and Dunstall goes something along the lines of “so what the hell have they got him starting on the bench for?... he’s just had an 8 minute break.. why the hell would you have clearly your best player starting on the bench??”...

Again.. Just another one of those dumbfounding decisions this club seems to excel in making at the moment I suppose.

what was even funnier was when one of them meantioned Dunstall being the one who did the review last year.. and how the crows havent won a game since it.. basically giving Dunstall a couple of cheap shots over it as if to say “mustve been a sh*t review”!!.. and all of them then laughing at him..
Laird starting on the bench was just another decision where coaches don’t have a sense and feel for the game, they are governed by nonfooty people working computers who tell them numbers or tell them they are redlining,

How silly of me of course fantasy points is the be all and end all of playing well. lol
Yeah I prefer the eye test and 37 disposals is probably the best by a crow all year. Deserved the 3 Brownlow votes for mine. The real problem in that midfifld is mcrouch, not Laird.

Interesting to listen to Craig Jennings on SEN on the Crows: at 4.12 "Nicks is a very tactically astute coach" the win "will come sooner than a lot of people think" and it "won't be a five year re-build' .....will be quicker
I love the Nicks move the ball game plan. How refreshing is watching a game with no stop, stand, wait, look, think and then bomb high under pressure down field to where the opposition knew the ball would come anyway. Major step forward. Major. Keep going Nicksy. Just a bit more execution and we can improve solidly.
This is what I've been thinking about, after the Melbourne game and especially after last night. In the first half at least, of those games, we saw a much improved team - attitude / decision making / ball movement / tactics. You have to wonder how much of that is Nicks' coaching starting to kick in - whether it's tactical, or player motivation, building their confidence, improving their attitude, whatever. Based on that (and OK, 2 game sample), I think he's moved from "short term scapegoat" to "medium term builder" at least.

Its just absolutly fu**n crazy when you think about it.

instead of getting games into Sholl and Hamill last year, when we all saw what they were offering in the SANFL, we continued to give those games to Mackay, lazy plodders like Atkins, and a totally cooked guys like Douglas.

then on top of that we kept The Fog in the seconds, playing in defense mind you!!!! (FMD), for most of the year and continued giving games to a clearly injured Tex and ******* Jenkins who was out the door at the seasons end.

The utter incompetence of the list management shown in these decisions alone is simply austounding...

Everyone of the line coaches and selectors at the club, plus the management shouldve been marched out the ******* door for it.. yet many are still here and Mookay is still getting games. Brilliant!.
I know it won’t be a popular opinion but Mackay played well last night, setup a few attacking plays for us and took a couple of really nice marks running back with the flight of the ball. He is a senior player I’m happy to see the kids learn off for work ethic and courage, regardless of your size.
Some good stats and bad stats from last night

Good

O'Brien won hitouts to advantage over Grundy 10-6, from 61-50 ruck contests

McHenry, despite not finding much of the ball, was 3rd for pressure acts with 20

McAdam and Stengle both had 5 score involvements, showing they are getting involved in the play when not hitting the scoreboard.

Mackay had 6 intercept possessions, not his known game

3 of Himmelberg's 5 marks were contested

McPherson won/nullified all 5 of his defensive one on one battles

Bad

Matt Crouch went at 36% kicking efficiency

6 of Smith's 21 touches were turnovers

McAsey lost 3 of his 5 defensive one on one battles

Seedsman had 23 pressure acts for 1 tackle, shows his pressure around the ball wasn't very effective

Both Walker and Fogarty were statistically horrible
I know you highlighted Smith’s turnovers, but only one really cost us (the direct turnover to Stephenson). His kicking was otherwise elite last night, especially those couple of examples I highlighted above. Intercepted the ball a couple of times too by positioning himself well.

Watching the replay and geez Stengle is just all class whenever he gets the ball, so damaging with ball in hand. Never rushes his disposal and waits as long as possible to make the usually right decision. Also applies great defensive pressure inside 50 to lock the ball in.

Smith had one horrible turnover but outside of that played an excellent game, his kicking was sublime, that’s why the turnover was such a surprise! Literally the kick just before that he laced out the Seed with a 45 metre pass where he didn’t break stride. He then laced out McAdam inside 50 not long after, so I’m glad the one bad turnover didn’t shy him away from taking risks.

ROB had Grundy’s measure most of the night, having a very good season and may be leading the B&F now.

McHenry had some nice passages of play in the first half but faded in the 2nd. Sholl was silk all night and knows how to find enough of the ball (16 disposals). Schoenberg broke away from a congested area a couple of times and kicked it well (a bit like Jones) and definitely has the tools for a long career. McPherson was solid again but needed to back himself in when he was running inside 50 during the 2nd quarter and could’ve run at least another 10 metres and had a shot.

Laird was a serious beast and as I said earlier, has a surprising burst speed from stoppages and used the ball quite well by foot and hand. Despite the loss he was a clear BOG I think.

Himmelberg is really attacking marking contests well now and is starting to clunk more and more too. Hitting the scoreboard on a more regular basis as well.

That non 15 metre kick call was most definitely 15 metres at the end of the 3rd quarter and cost us two goals. If that is in any other area of the ground they would pay it. Brown then missed a very easy mark from the quick kick back in after that which forced McAsey into an errant handball under pressure, very poor from Brown.
That not 15 in the backbline was Gubtis. Love it when the Afl change a rule mid season that a kick needs to be 20m instead of 15m. While I agree in changing the kick distance to 20m do it at the end of the year so players have the preseason to adjust. Our players need to make sure its 25 metres in the backing as umpires like Gubtis are incompetent.

Chad Wingard, Jack Macrae, Jaidyn Stephenson, Sam Petrevski-Seton, Aaron Francis and Caleb Marchbank..

geez.. not that big a curse if you ask me..

it was commonly known as a curse for quite some time and from memory, it might even have been Wingard that was the first for ages that looked like providing performance against the value of the pick. I guess millenials wouldn't understand that we've been drafting in the AFL for more than a few years.

McHenry, despite not finding much of the ball, was 3rd for pressure acts with 20
6 of his 8 possessions were contested. So he had 2 fewer contested possessions than Matt despite much less midfield time.

Ned is a contest oriented players who doesn’t yet have the physique to do it successfully at this level, but I think he is tracking okay.
3 of Himmelberg's 5 marks were contested
That’s 2 consecutive games with 3 contested marks for

Always had good hands at ground level but lacked the strength to hold marks under pressure. Now it’s happening.

Contested marks per game:

9833CE2A-8117-4C81-A3A7-424188254584.png

Did anyone notice that after the centre clearance that Laird got smothered and became an easy Collingwood entry, that Laird's next possession was possibly the highest kick I've ever seen him do, which is saying something

Could be a coincidence as he was pressured and snapping around the body but I did make a mental 'lol' to myself -
My philosophy has always been if you can’t hit the body try for the roof.

Obviously way too early to get too excited but how good has Himmelbeg looked. In the space of two weeks he has gone from a gangly looking fringe player to a genuine key forward with aggression and a real kpp type presence.
Himmelberg needs to really smash the gym. If he can get a body type similar to his brother he well may be a player. Could in fact turn his career around like McKernan.

Its just absolutly fu**n crazy when you think about it.

instead of getting games into Sholl and Hamill last year, when we all saw what they were offering in the SANFL, we continued to give those games to Mackay, lazy plodders like Atkins, and a totally cooked guys like Douglas.

then on top of that we kept The Fog in the seconds, playing in defense mind you!!!! (FMD), for most of the year and continued giving games to a clearly injured Tex and ******* Jenkins who was out the door at the seasons end.

The utter incompetence of the list management shown in these decisions alone is simply austounding...

Everyone of the line coaches and selectors at the club, plus the management shouldve been marched out the ******* door for it.. yet many are still here and Mookay is still getting games. Brilliant!.

This is something I’ve been thinking about a bit and where I think the Carlton pick swap really screwed us. We couldn’t play kids because that likely would of meant sliding down the ladder and thus giving Carlton a better pick, we needed to have been seen to win that trade to the detriment of the development of our youth. And when I say we I mean the Senior decision makers at our club, Roo, Fagan etc.

He wanted more money, Brisbane were offering more.

They identified his talent and went after it.

Pretty good source on this.

No homesickness or wanting to leave for other reasons. Just the coin, he is not nieve and has good management.

The wasted salary in Gibbs should have been used better.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
You are deadset wrong on this (and this from the horses mouth). Money wasn't the leading factor at all. Living in Adelaide was. The bonus for Charlie was the VERY generous offer made by Brisbane.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You are deadset wrong on this (and this from the horses mouth). Money wasn't the leading factor at all. Living in Adelaide was. The bonus for Charlie was the VERY generous offer made by Brisbane.

Player denies money was the sole motivating factor when moving clubs, colour me shocked.

That non 15 metre kick call was most definitely 15 metres at the end of the 3rd quarter and cost us two goals. If that is in any other area of the ground they would pay it. ...
That was borderline - distance between left goal post (about where it was kicked) to right point post is 2 x 6.4m and where the mark was take was around 2m further on. Marks have been awarded for shorter kicks so could have given the mark for that one.

I think the frustrating thing is the “revelation” of playing Laird in the guts.

He was already trailing off last year with the 666. We had a ready replacement for him in Sholl. Why on earth wouldn’t they have let Laird of the leash then?

The answer is almost robotic of course. Laird is small defender, must play as small defender. Must retain continuity.
The mantra of 'backing the boys in' the last few years has cost our club dearly this year.

Bad: forgetting that AFL is on every night and missed watching the game

Good: missed watching the game

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Watching a replay this season is the best way. There's no emotion involved and you can more accurately analyse individual performances. I'd recommend last night's game over the one before. Definitely some positives to take out of it.

I know you highlighted Smith’s turnovers, but only one really cost us (the direct turnover to Stephenson). His kicking was otherwise elite last night, especially those couple of examples I highlighted above. Intercepted the ball a couple of times too by positioning himself well.
He did make another bad kicking turnover in the last quarter I think it was? he was kicking out and went for the short pass inside the 50 instead of the long pass to Maccadam down the guts and Collingwood intercepted resulting in a goal. Not as bad as the earlier turnover but still wasn't great.

That was borderline - distance between left goal post (about where it was kicked) to right point post is 2 x 6.4m and where the mark was take was around 2m further on. Marks have been awarded for shorter kicks so could have given the mark for that one.
They absolutely would’ve paid that in any other area of the ground, for some reason they love to suddenly pick out these technical ones in a teams defensive 50.

He did make another bad kicking turnover in the last quarter I think it was? he was kicking out and went for the short pass inside the 50 instead of the long pass to Maccadam down the guts and Collingwood intercepted resulting in a goal. Not as bad as the earlier turnover but still wasn't great.
Maybe he did, but all I’m saying is that his kicking was mostly fine last night and created a lot of positive movements for us.

The first quarter was bloody good to watch. It was the first time this year i thought damn we look good. We should have been 4 goals up at quarter time. We just couldn't convert our i50's

Obviously way too early to get too excited but how good has Himmelbeg looked. In the space of two weeks he has gone from a gangly looking fringe player to a genuine key forward with aggression and a real kpp type presence.

It's almost like backing in young players for a sustained patch of games rather than judging the off just a few is likely to result in them gaining confidence and getting used to the level required.

I think they were equally as bad. Both led directly to goals. Then McAseys 2 - there’s your 24 point margin.

Very frustrating for coach and team mates who were working so hard.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back