hey shorty

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
I think the frustrating thing is the “revelation” of playing Laird in the guts.

He was already trailing off last year with the 666. We had a ready replacement for him in Sholl. Why on earth wouldn’t they have let Laird of the leash then?

The answer is almost robotic of course. Laird is small defender, must play as small defender. Must retain continuity.
It's ridiculous thinking really. We could've changed the look of our midfield and got extra drive off half back with 1 change

May 10, 2009
Adelaide Oval
AFL Club
Adelaide
I think they were equally as bad. Both led directly to goals. Then McAseys 2 - there’s your 24 point margin.

Very frustrating for coach and team mates who were working so hard.
McAsey’s 2nd shouldn’t have happened if either the umpire correctly paid a 15 metre kick or Brown took a fairly simple chest mark from the quick Collingwood kick in.

Smith had a couple of poor turnovers, but would you rather he takes those kicks on or takes the safe option? That switch which went straight to Stephenson was absolutely on if he didn’t mis-kick, we were out in clear space on the wing he was aiming for. He had every right to go for it after lacing out Seed just prior. His kick to McAdam inside 50 was a bullet too.

Aug 9, 2019
Victorian Central Highlands
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Panthers, GWV Rebels, Central Augusta
Yes he has closing speed and a good punch plus the big body we lack apart from Talia

Some of his gaffs though are killers
Looks to have lost his pace this season, think those recurring knee issues have finally caught up with him....speed for a big man was his best assett...maybe his only true asset? ;)

hey shorty

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
The thing with Laird playing midfield is he has never had trouble putting his head over the ball nor had trouble finding it.

He's got enough evasive skill and a little burst to get clear. Yes his kicking can be off, but you get the ball 40 times you're going to get enough good disposal to make it count.

Simmo28

Premiership Player
Apr 23, 2014
Sydney, Australia
AFL Club
Adelaide
Watching a replay this season is the best way. There's no emotion involved and you can more accurately analyse individual performances. I'd recommend last night's game over the one before. Definitely some positives to take out of it.

I have no emotion for any of the games, this season is a write off not just because we are so crap but the way the season is progressing because of c19. Looking forward to 2022 when things are back to normal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kulak

Premiership Player
May 16, 2006
Sydney!!!
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
GWS
It's almost like backing in young players for a sustained patch of games rather than judging the off just a few is likely to result in them gaining confidence and getting used to the level required.
Nah I think he just wasn’t quite ready before. He played 6 consecutive games last year under Don Pyke but wasn’t performing to this level.

Vhaluus

Cancelled
10k Posts
May 13, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
Nah I think he just wasn’t quite ready before. He played 6 consecutive games last year under Don Pyke but wasn’t performing to this level.

6 games isn't enough. Particularly when Don Pykes game plan was 'give the positions most likely to rack up stats to the most senior players and any new kid can play on the fringes. Also you should always take the most senior option when passing and never reward the kid who presents for you'

kulak

Premiership Player
May 16, 2006
Sydney!!!
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
GWS
I think the frustrating thing is the “revelation” of playing Laird in the guts.

He was already trailing off last year with the 666. We had a ready replacement for him in Sholl. Why on earth wouldn’t they have let Laird of the leash then?

The answer is almost robotic of course. Laird is small defender, must play as small defender. Must retain continuity.
Isn’t it pretty obviously because of the other players in our midfield

Sloane MCrouch BCrouch Greenwood all played a full year last year. Adding Laird adds more of the same - one paced high volume OK skills.

Now Sloane and Brad are injured, Greenwood traded, it makes sense for Laird to play midfield.

I doubt he makes last nights performance his standard. But if he does, we need to leave at least one if Matt/Brad in the reserves so we can have proper midfield balance and keep giving the kids a chance.

kulak

Premiership Player
May 16, 2006
Sydney!!!
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
GWS
6 games isn't enough. Particularly when Don Pykes game plan was 'give the positions most likely to rack up stats to the most senior positions and any new kid can play on the fringes. Also you should always take the most senior option and never reward the kid who presents for you'
6 consecutive games wasn’t enough last year, but 4 consecutive games is enough this year?

I have been an EH fan since his debut at Carlton in 2018 but it was fairly obvious last year that he wasn’t sufficiently physically developed.

Vhaluus

Cancelled
10k Posts
May 13, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
6 consecutive games wasn’t enough last year, but 4 consecutive games is enough this year?

I have been an EH fan since his debut at Carlton in 2018 but it was fairly obvious last year that he wasn’t sufficiently physically developed.

No, we should have backed him in all of last season and all of this season and we might have seen it sooner.

Crows I Am

Premiership Player
Jul 12, 2006
Adelaide S.A
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
North Adelaide
I think they were equally as bad. Both led directly to goals. Then McAseys 2 - there’s your 24 point margin.

Very frustrating for coach and team mates who were working so hard.
Also when Tex had the shot in the first quarter and Mcadam tried to Sheppard it through. That should have been another goal which would have put us up by 3 goals at quarter time.

Jul 27, 2004
Las Vegas
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood
Obviously way too early to get too excited but how good has Himmelbeg looked. In the space of two weeks he has gone from a gangly looking fringe player to a genuine key forward with aggression and a real kpp type presence.
Somewhere inbetween we lost and another player lost to homesickness

May 24, 2006
Car 55
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Redbacks, Sturt, Liverpool, Arizona
I reckon more praise would be going McPherson's way if he was playing worse. A few rookie errors to remind people that he's played half a dozen games.

Then his good stuff would stand out more.

Instead he's seamlessly settled into AFL football as though he's always been there. No fuss. Under the radar. Doesn't draw praise the same way Brad Sheppard doesn't - been doing it for 10 years.

Plus he looks about 30

images.jpeg.jpg

May 10, 2009
Adelaide Oval
AFL Club
Adelaide

Sloane MCrouch BCrouch Greenwood all played a full year last year. Adding Laird adds more of the same - one paced high volume OK skills.

Now Sloane and Brad are injured, Greenwood traded, it makes sense for Laird to play midfield.

I doubt he makes last nights performance his standard. But if he does, we need to leave at least one if Matt/Brad in the reserves so we can have proper midfield balance and keep giving the kids a chance.
Why? He performed well in there the 3 games prior as well, just not a BOG type game like last night. He’s a two time AA who is hitting the peak age of his career, he absolutely has all the tools to make this a permanent move.

Laird also isn’t one paced, has great burst speed from stoppages.

May 10, 2009
Adelaide Oval
AFL Club
Adelaide
I reckon more praise would be going McPherson's way if he was playing worse. A few rookie errors to remind people that he's played half a dozen games.

Instead he's seamlessly settled into AFL football as though he's always been there. No fuss. Under the radar. Doesn't draw praise the same way Brad Sheppard doesn't - been doing it for 10 years.

Plus he looks about 30

View attachment 933522
The commentary team had some high praise for him last night, starting to get noticed

Betts are off

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 28, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
Also when Tex had the shot in the first quarter and Mcadam tried to Sheppard it through. That should have been another goal which would have put us up by 3 goals at quarter time.
There was probably 6 bits of play that led to missed score opportunities. Plus I thought we had a bad rub of the umpires, but as a Crows fan, i'm pretty much used to that now.

Betts are off

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 28, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
Why? He performed well in there the 3 games prior as well, just not a BOG type game like last night. He’s a two time AA who is hitting the peak age of his career, he absolutely has all the tools to make this a permanent move.

Laird also isn’t one paced, has great burst speed from stoppages.
He looked like he was moving in FF compared to the midfield of Sloane Crouch Crouch... I don't think he would beat many in a 100m sprint, but over a 5-10m distance he showed a surprisingly good burst

MrBarry

Premiership Player
Apr 29, 2013
Bristol, United Kingdom
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Manchester City
Its just absolutly fu**n crazy when you think about it.

instead of getting games into Sholl and Hamill last year, when we all saw what they were offering in the SANFL, we continued to give those games to Mackay, lazy plodders like Atkins, and a totally cooked guys like Douglas.

then on top of that we kept The Fog in the seconds, playing in defense mind you!!!! (FMD), for most of the year and continued giving games to a clearly injured Tex and ******* Jenkins who was out the door at the seasons end.

The utter incompetence of the list management shown in these decisions alone is simply austounding...

Everyone of the line coaches and selectors at the club, plus the management shouldve been marched out the ******* door for it.. yet many are still here and Mookay is still getting games. Brilliant!.

Last year was a totally wasted year and set us back at least 24 months, I have no doubt that had we been blooding some of these guys in 2018/2019, you know like most good clubs would have, then we would be in a much better position now. It almost made you want to pull your own hair out at the ridiculously stubborn and short term approach last year.

MarcusP2

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 21, 2009
AFL Club
Adelaide
He did make another bad kicking turnover in the last quarter I think it was? he was kicking out and went for the short pass inside the 50 instead of the long pass to Maccadam down the guts and Collingwood intercepted resulting in a goal. Not as bad as the earlier turnover but still wasn't great.
That was the last quarter, the commentators said 'right line but wrong club'. Macadam looked free another 30m away.

Shaz2012

Cancelled
Sep 15, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide

Plus he looks about 30

View attachment 933522

McPhearson also doesn't fit into the narrative that Hamish picks duds. He has played 5 games and he looks rock solid. He also has excellent decision making and foot skills. If his body can hold up, I reckon he locks down a spot in this team for the next decade. I feel like Hamill will go on to do the same. First seasons and playing in a team breaking records for all the wrong reasons, they are a real highlight.

I feel sorry for McAsey. He was drafted last year. I cant even recall us giving key position roles to 18 year olds. He is playing on seasoned, hardened key forwards/defenders. That is a massive ask for a young body even if they were playing in a top side.

I guess the good news for McAsey is he doesn't have to wait for his 3rd season for a debut like Doedee did. The bad is that he is physically not ready yet and the ugly is his treatment by some fans and their apparent lack of understanding of his situation.

MrBarry

Premiership Player
Apr 29, 2013
Bristol, United Kingdom
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Manchester City

Disagree, to me it was plainly obvious that Laird should have been moved to the midfield at least 12 months ago. He's played 3 games there now and I would say he's the clubs best midfielder already. Leave him in that slot for a full season and he would make AA.

Jan 31, 2009
New Highton
AFL Club
Adelaide
McPhearson also doesn't fit into the narrative that Hamish picks duds. He has played 5 games and he looks rock solid. He also has excellent decision making and foot skills. If his body can hold up, I reckon he locks down a spot in this team for the next decade. I feel like Hamill will go on to do the same. First seasons and playing in a team breaking records for all the wrong reasons, they are a real highlight.

I feel sorry for McAsey. He was drafted last year. I cant even recall us giving key position roles to 18 year olds. He is playing on seasoned, hardened key forwards/defenders. That is a massive ask for a young body even if they were playing in a top side.

I guess the good news for McAsey is he doesn't have to wait for his 3rd season for a debut like Doedee did. The bad is that he is physically not ready yet and the ugly is his treatment by some fans and their apparent lack of understanding of his situation.
McAsey will grow much faster than he would've at a top club because of this year

Back